Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 10:51 AM

432 posts, read 3,657,759 times

Advertisements

I have a few dents in my 1997 ford f-250 that i would like fixed, don't want to spend a ton of money. Is maaco collision repair okay for this kind of work?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:12 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Ask yourself, do you notice bad bodywork and paint on other cars? Do you really care how good a quality you're getting, or how much money you spend? You really get what you pay for when it comes to paint and bodywork. You CAN get good results at Maaco, but you have to spend some time prepping yourself, and even then, the materials they use are cheap and in order to get the price down they also can't pay good labor rates, so they don't usually get the highest quality workers.

If you really want to save money and use Maaco (or the equivalent), a post I made years ago on VW Vortex will help:

How to prep a car for paint job?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:55 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Maaco CAN do good work, but you pay for it. The nice thing about something like Maaco is that they are willing to base their quality on how much you want to spend, most independent shops would never do that and want to do it right or not at all. If you are looking for something that can pass the "10 foot rule", than Maaco will probably save you some money and be acceptable.

PS The "10 foot rule" means that the repairs look acceptable from a normal distance, but you can still pick out imperfections and blemishes close up. As Merc also pointed out, you can get good results even from the lowest cost Maaco services by doing good prep work yourself.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:24 PM

890 posts, read 3,699,404 times
I've heard horror stories about Maaco and personally, I wouldn't let them paint my closet door. Just my opinion.

Edit: Just curious, how big are the dents? If they're small then I would do a local search for paintless dent repair. It's easy, can be done on-site and within an hour or so and is fairly stress free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive