Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 07:20 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,456,810 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I feel like driving has gotten worse across the board in the last couple of years. I just did a road trip across the Northeast Corridor (Philadelphia to Maine and back) and it is just outstanding to me how many people flagrantly put other people's lives at risk to save themselves a couple minutes of driving. I'm not talking typical speeding. I am talking about the people who whip around traffic going 20 mph+ faster than the other vehicles on the road, cutting others off as to never be inconvenienced in slowing down for a few seconds. Or you gotta love the guys who ride your a** -with 0 seconds of reaction time in the case of emergency stops- while you are equally held up in the left lane b/c of drivers ahead of you. I am aware I drove on some of the worst roadways for this behavior, but I have done other drives across the Northeast, and it didn't seem close to this bad before.

I don't know. Maybe now that I'm aging (early 30s), I am becoming more realistic about the very real chance of dying every time I put my vehicle into drive. I used to have a more carefree feeling of "F you!" toward reckless drivers, and go on with my business accepting their existence. Now, the anxiety that I can only do so much to ensure I am safe in my vehicle, and that all else is in others' control, is growing. It seems the reckless drivers are only growing in numbers too.

And before any reckless driver apologists chime in, no, I am not someone who sits in the left lane, etc. I am all for following roadway laws/norms that allow for faster traffic to pass. Sometimes there are pile ups caused by congestion, sometimes there are pile ups caused by ignorant drivers sitting in the left lane. Either way, your reckless driving is not justified. Learn some patience or find a new method of transportation.

I want way more enforcement and harsher consequences. The privilege to drive should be earned, not a "right" that every careless person has. People should get one (maybe zero for really bad incidents) warning and then their license should be taken for years. Oh well. Find a new way to work or whatever the F you're in such a rush for. Those of us who drive safely want to live.

Am I overthinking it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 08:33 AM

19,068 posts, read 27,648,953 times
Same here.
People are clearly angry and that anger splashes out in driving habits.
I remember the good old times, when you were always let in onto FWY by traffic. Now, it seems, it's just an excuse to ram you on the onramp.
Of course, with drivers buried deep in their cell phones while driving...

Old 07-17-2022, 08:45 AM

17,636 posts, read 17,723,504 times
I wonder if the isolation has made some drivers antisocial and more prone to rage?

Old 07-17-2022, 09:25 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,771,219 times
We noticed Milwaukee drivers were like this when we moved there several years ago.
Seems like the disease might be spreading.

The flagrant speeding with a backdrop of anger is just ridiculous.

Old 07-17-2022, 10:28 AM

12,520 posts, read 9,606,846 times
I just try to stay far away from fools/psychos on the road. If they're behind me riding my a--, I let them past, and if they're in front of me I slow down to get more distance - my only thought is "I don't want any part of the accident you're going to cause, a------.

Old 07-17-2022, 01:33 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,632,000 times
Many drivers are fueled mainly by emotions, hostility and idiocy, I see this all the time.

Has it gotten worse, probably somewhat, but it has always been bad.

Old 07-17-2022, 02:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,755 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Noticeably higher traffic deaths per driver mile post pandemic.

More fatal road rage. (Including shootings from vehicles)

Quite an increase in pedestrian fatalities, especially hit and run.

The homeless camping inside freeway interchanges are being hit by cars at a marked increase, especially during the hours of darkness.. I was surprised that type of vehicle caused death was a statistic, but locally it has become one.

Funeral business is booming.

Auto (and home) Insurance has skyrocketed.

Old 07-17-2022, 04:38 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,221,036 times
I haven't noticed any difference before and after COVID-19 started, at least in Fairbanks, Alaska. There is a lot more traffic recently, probably because of the military members and families moving in, but that's about it. Also, it seems that people aren't very concerned about the recent strains of COVID-19. Two friends on mine contracted it and were done with it about 5 days later. They took a week off to stay at home.

When living in Sacramento years ago, the hot summer temperatures seemed to irritate drivers, but I have no idea if that's the case these days. Does a hot summer day irritates you when driving in heavy traffic? Maybe that is what's happening where you live at?

~just curious, because I haven't noticed the things most posters have.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-17-2022 at 04:47 PM..

Old 07-17-2022, 06:28 PM

864 posts, read 869,353 times
There has been a definite change in the last two years. I've noticed and commented on it as have my friends and family. It can be a bit like Mad Max on the roadways with people driving aggressively and seeming to be trying to pick fights with other drivers. No respect for others and impatient above everything.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,755 posts, read 58,140,793 times
https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases...fic-fatalities

Additionally, the traffic fatalities in the following categories showed relatively large increases in 2021, as compared to 2020:

Fatalities in multi-vehicle crashes up 16%
Fatalities on urban roads up 16%
Fatalities among drivers 65 and older up 14%
Pedestrian fatalities up 13%
Fatalities in crashes involving at least one large truck up 13%
Daytime fatalities up 11%
Motorcyclist fatalities up 9%
Bicyclist fatalities up 5%
Fatalities in speeding-related crashes up 5%
Fatalities in police-reported, alcohol-involvement crashes up 5%

U.S. traffic deaths hit highest level in 16 years
https://www.axios.com/2022/05/17/tra...ortation-nhtsa

U.S. roadway deaths rise, even as cars get safer - CNBC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive