Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 07:10 PM

2,328 posts, read 2,188,635 times

Advertisements

I made a reservation order on a new car, which will come soon (I already knew VIN from dealer). At the meanwhile, I am planning to sell my used car (9 years old) after getting new car, but may sell it to a different dealer (depending on where I receive a better offer on my used cars).

Before picking up my new cars, I would like to go to another two dealers and get a quote on my used car first. Is dealer willing to do appraisal on my old car? Or they will turn me away?

On the day picking up my new car, I will get one last quote on my used car from the dealer where I buy new car. If the quote is good, I will trade in; if the quote is not good, then I will buy the new car only and sell used car to another dealer.

Any other ways to easily sell used car? Don't want to sell to individual, don't want to deal with too much paperwork on my own.

Thanks.

Last edited by Baike; 07-24-2022 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 07:23 PM

17,360 posts, read 22,108,706 times
Carvana will make you an offer online, Carmax gives a 7 day offer regardless if you buy a new car from them or not.

You have nothing to lose especially if the car you want to sell is less than 6 yrs old, decent shape/miles

Old 07-24-2022, 07:27 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,395,649 times
If your used car is 2 years old, pristine, low mileage and a popular model, dealerships might consider paying you 1/2 or less of the book value. But I doubt it. Most dealerships have way too many used cars clogging their lot.

Their used cars are trade ins, leased cars with miles, and used cars from wholesalers who refurbish auctioned vehicles.

Old 07-24-2022, 07:28 PM

45,460 posts, read 60,680,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
If your used car is 2 years old, pristine, low mileage and a popular model, dealerships might consider paying you 1/2 or less of the book value. But I doubt it. Most dealerships have way too many used cars clogging their lot.

Their used cars are trade ins, leased cars with miles, and used cars from wholesalers who refurbish auctioned vehicles.

Then that's a recent change, like in the last month or six weeks.

Old 07-24-2022, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Carvana will make you an offer online, Carmax gives a 7 day offer regardless if you buy a new car from them or not.

You have nothing to lose especially if the car you want to sell is less than 6 yrs old, decent shape/miles
9 years old. Does Carmax give good offer? Is it free for Carmax to give in-store appraisal? I would like to drive my car there a few days before picking my new car.

Thanks

Last edited by Baike; 07-24-2022 at 08:08 PM..

Old 07-24-2022, 07:31 PM

45,460 posts, read 60,680,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
9 years old. Does Carmax give good offer?

Thanks
As someone who followed your journey to ordering your soon to arrive new car I'm going to tell you that cleanest and easiest way is to trade it at your new car dealer as part of your purchase.

Old 07-24-2022, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As someone who followed your journey to ordering your soon to arrive new car I'm going to tell you that cleanest and easiest way is to trade it at your new car dealer as part of your purchase.
I know, that is also my preferred way. But just in case they don't give me a good offer on my used car. If I can sell somewhere else for $1000 more, why trade in? If there is not much difference, I will trade in.

I would like to have another one or two offers on my used car, before picking up my new car (likely sometime next month, already knew VIN from dealer).

Last edited by Baike; 07-24-2022 at 08:23 PM..

Old 07-24-2022, 08:39 PM

For same car, will different Carmax location (in different states) give much different in-store appraisal? For example, car may be more expensive in one state than another state, then Carmax location in that state may give a higher in-store appraisal?

I can go to either Virginia Carmax or Maryland Carmax.

Old 07-24-2022, 08:42 PM

2,150 posts, read 1,215,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
I know, that is also my preferred way. But just in case they don't give me a good offer on my used car. If I can sell somewhere else for $1000 more, why trade in? If there is not much difference, I will trade in.

I would like to have another one or two offers on my used car, before picking up my new car (likely sometime next month, already knew VIN from dealer).
Taxes. You pay sales taxes and the trade reduces that. The dealers get a break on that.

Old 07-24-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
Taxes. You pay sales taxes and the trade reduces that. The dealers get a break on that.
It seems that does not apply to me.

"In Virginia, the sales tax applies to the full price of the vehicle without considering trade-ins." https://www.salestaxhandbook.com/vir...s-tax-vehicles

Question: Do I pay sale tax for selling my used car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive