Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 09:49 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,331,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I don’t think it’s that people want to make every trip a cannonball run, but I think there’s a general concern about having to stop to charge at inopportune times. Usually with a gas vehicle, I can stop somewhere get lunch, take a little walk, and maybe fill up the gas tank since gas stations are plentiful. An EV still requires more careful planning, and unfortunately, charge times generally take way longer than filling up a tank with gas.
If you're stopping to get lunch and take a little walk when refueling, you can do that while charging. A 10 minute gas stop is a 20 minute charge stop. That's not "way longer.". It's not "careful planning." It's just an app on GPS. And charging stations are all over and getting even more plentiful. Best thing is you dont have to start out the trip by going somewhere and filling up, so that 5-10 minutes is not being used. YOu start with a full charge.

Again, I've done this numerous times up to upstate NY, eastern CT and down to TN and SC from here in Baltimore.

Quote:

But again these issues will be ironed out over time. I don’t understand why the pro-EV crowd is so touchy and preachy whenever anyone expresses skepticism or expresses concern about finding a charging station
Because you keep repeating the same old tired, dis-proven crap over and over again. It's tiresome and it's false, especially to those of us that have extensive experience. I keep coming back to this, but why do you argue with people with real world experience? It's not like those of us that have extensive EV experience have zero gas car experience! I have direct back to back experience with BOTH. On the same trip routes, even.

Quote:
and especially one that is pull-through (in my community, the ones that I know about are in parking lots with parking spaces and are not pull-through).
And I agreed, which is what I've talked about in this thread.

Quote:
The majority of drivers in this country do not own EVs, so sure, people are going to express concern about something they aren’t familiar with yet.
Then ****ing listen to those of us that DO have experience! Jesus, is that so hard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 09:56 AM

19,063 posts, read 13,992,119 times
The touchiness comes from being either ignored or told that we're lying when we try to assuage fears.

When someone explains, in detail, why planning trips is a snap, but is still constantly hit with "it's too inconvenient to plan trips," it eventually becomes too frustrating to always maintain perfect deportment in these conversations.

Like for example, I now have to add a disclaimer that I am not talking about towing trips above, but regular road trips. And yes, we are constantly bombarded with these "cannonball run" scenarios which we know are total aberrations even for those who have done it before (heck, I have, with and without my EV!)

My last road trip was to Rochester, NY and back with my Tesla in one day, for work. Total time door-to-door and back was 14 hours. That includes the work I had to accomplish and a leisurely BBQ lunch.

Under normal conditions with an ICE car the drive one way is minimum 4.5 hours, booking it with only 5 min gas stops. That's 9 hours of driving minimum, plus my stops, at best 11 hours. So NOT taking my time, charging, and with one bout of bad traffic due to an accident, it took 14 hours in an EV. Big whoop for a roughly 600 mile drive.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Last edited by Airborneguy; 08-23-2022 at 10:05 AM..

Old 08-23-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's EV logic. You can go 80 miles, stay two nights at the RV park recharging, go another 80 miles, spend two more days charging. No problem.

Again though, a lot of people don't ever tow anything so it really isn't a problem. I could tolerate the 100 mile range as aside from local stuff I'd really only tow to track days which I don't do a huge number of. But it would mean no going down to SoCal tracks. Too far for that. For travel trailers though, yeah, towing 80 miles every other day definitely won't work for most people. Fine for some though.
See? Perfect example. Every other day? While this towing scenario would clearly take far longer than an ICE truck, it does not take "every other day" to charge. You know this. Why create these lies to make those of us who are frustrated look worse?

This is what I went through with my friend on Saturday. "It's ok to lie because politicians are forcing them on us." Exact words. No, never. It is not ok to lie.

This is why we respond the way we do.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-23-2022, 10:03 AM

In fact... it is EASIER to plan trips because my car tells me when to stop before I even leave my house.

My gas roadtrips frequently took me to unfamiliar places where I had to find gas stations myself. especially before GPS existed at all, something we ALL seem to ignore in these discussions.

Sure, they are "everywhere" - except when you need one NOW. My Tesla doesn't have any unfamiliar places. It knows where every Supercharger, destination charger, and Tesla service center is located, WORLDWIDE. Further, Plugshare knows all of the rest of them. And in a true emergency, ANY outlet is a "gas station".

Can't wait to use this one on facebook. lol

Old 08-23-2022, 10:12 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,834,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
In fact... it is EASIER to plan trips because my car tells me when to stop before I even leave my house.

My gas roadtrips frequently took me to unfamiliar places where I had to find gas stations myself. especially before GPS existed at all, something we ALL seem to ignore in these discussions.

Sure, they are "everywhere" - except when you need one NOW. My Tesla doesn't have any unfamiliar places. It knows where every Supercharger, destination charger, and Tesla service center is located, WORLDWIDE. Further, Plugshare knows all of the rest of them. And in a true emergency, ANY outlet is a "gas station".

Can't wait to use this one on facebook. lol
First off this is about trucks towing something substantial that has length, not your Tesla car with a water speed bump. When I tow my travel trailer, my combined length is 53'.

I have yet to see a drive through charging station on the road that can accommodate an EV pick up and a substantial trailer. I'm not saying they don't exist, but they're as rare as a jet skier who follows coast guard regulations.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:15 AM

Again, I was answering a specific question from another poster asking where the touchiness comes from.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:31 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,374,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
If you're stopping to get lunch and take a little walk when refueling, you can do that while charging. A 10 minute gas stop is a 20 minute charge stop. That's not "way longer.". It's not "careful planning." It's just an app on GPS. And charging stations are all over and getting even more plentiful. Best thing is you dont have to start out the trip by going somewhere and filling up, so that 5-10 minutes is not being used. YOu start with a full charge.

Again, I've done this numerous times up to upstate NY, eastern CT and down to TN and SC from here in Baltimore.

Because you keep repeating the same old tired, dis-proven crap over and over again. It's tiresome and it's false, especially to those of us that have extensive experience. I keep coming back to this, but why do you argue with people with real world experience? It's not like those of us that have extensive EV experience have zero gas car experience! I have direct back to back experience with BOTH. On the same trip routes, even.

And I agreed, which is what I've talked about in this thread.

Then ****ing listen to those of us that DO have experience! Jesus, is that so hard?
So touchy. And I noticed your little clown car is parked at a row of charge stations that aren’t pull-through.

I wasn’t arguing with you personally, but I feel like you and kind just expect people to KNOW all of this stuff, when in reality the number of EV owners in this country is low and the majority of people have never driven one.

And my point about stopping to change; it’s just that in general, more gas stations exist today. So I can plan out my day a bit better, that’s all, instead of being forced to stop somewhere random at like 3PM because I need to change for 40 minutes and it’s the only place to stop because there are no other nearby options.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:48 AM

21,883 posts, read 25,195,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
See? Perfect example. Every other day? While this towing scenario would clearly take far longer than an ICE truck, it does not take "every other day" to charge. You know this. Why create these lies to make those of us who are frustrated look worse?

This is what I went through with my friend on Saturday. "It's ok to lie because politicians are forcing them on us." Exact words. No, never. It is not ok to lie.

This is why we respond the way we do.
Exactly, 2 days is pretty generous for level 1 charging on a 120v RV circuit. Some parks have 50 amp service and it's more common than a few decades ago but definitely not most. Two days would probably get you enough to make it to the next RV park .. at least here. Not sure about flyover country. You could probably leave the trailer and get to a dealership for a more suitable truck that could do the job though.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:57 AM

10,918 posts, read 4,573,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's EV logic. You can go 80 miles, stay two nights at the RV park recharging, go another 80 miles, spend two more days charging. No problem.

funny, thats how I plan to spend the first few years of retirement. might go more than 80 miles, more like couple hundred-500, stay for a week or so, lather rinse repeat until I lap the country twice doing the roundabout I used to do as a trucker/mover....but enjoy the roses and kill fish.

assuming I live that long. that is more in focus than what I will be driving and how it fuels.

Old 08-23-2022, 12:10 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,221,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Ok. Tell me you've never unhooked and re-hooked up a travel trailer like mine without saying you've never unhooked and hooked up a trailer like mine with a weight distribution hitch.

And where do you leave the trailer while charging that doesn't block 5-10 spots?

You are right about that! It's a nightmare to unhook/re-hook a heavy trailer, specially if one is already tired, or even under the rain. I don't care what type of truck I am driving. I start sweating when watching my oldest son hooking his 6,000-pound travel trailer to his Tundra truck. He has a weight distribution hitch, which by itself is heavy. He tells me that the hight makes a big difference when towing compared to a regular hitch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive