Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 11:40 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times

Advertisements

Used cars keep popping up in my various unsolicited advertisement feeds and every one of them has a statement about “driven miles”. But the number is always very low for the model year of the car. And there is no other mileage indicated such as “actual” or “total”.

So am I right in guessing this is only how far the current owner has driven the vehicle? Who cares when it’s only a small portion of the total? When did this become a thing? And why not give the total mileage? Maybe the seller hopes he’ll fool you into thinking that’s the actual odometer reading?

Or could it be that the car sat in the garage all the time. I’m talking about cases where they write “driven 11,600 miles” for a 1970 Triumph or even a 2004 Honda Accord. What’s going on here and who cares how much a recent driver has used it. Help me understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 11:47 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I think it may just be a new way of saying total mileage. Sounds----------classier?

Old 09-14-2023, 11:49 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I've always referred to "driven miles" as the actual odometer reading. All of it.

Seems like a silly thing to say but i've always heard it this way. "It's only been driven 16,000 miles" or something to that effect. Not really new to me

Old 09-14-2023, 12:32 PM

The problem to me is that the mileage they claim is often 10% or less than what that car would normally have. I’ve even seen classics with the tiny mileage where they claim tons of improvements like new paint etc.

But if it’s likely to be the true odometer miles then I guess it’s worth checking them out. Except that you will likely get tons more ads from those sources. But a classic sports car driven less than 20K miles would be nice.

Old 09-14-2023, 12:53 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
This is common w/ collector cars, especially older in age.

The though is that if the car has been restored or otherwise kept in better shape recently due to its value, the recent miles are more important than miles previous to restoration.

Old 09-14-2023, 01:09 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
This is common w/ collector cars, especially older in age.

The though is that if the car has been restored or otherwise kept in better shape recently due to its value, the recent miles are more important than miles previous to restoration.
Yes, in the collector's world, miles driven is all about the restored miles as original speedometers would show from the day it was originally (pre-restoration) put in.

For regular vehicles it's just some way to entice a person to Ooh and Ahhh over the vehicle as it means squat. Now if it said "Miles driven since last odometer rollback, that would be something to Ooh and Ahh about.

Old 09-14-2023, 02:12 PM

So why can’t these sellers write “restored miles” or something more specific? It does make sense for a classic car. But for so-called daily driver types, 1 to 20 years old, it would be more useful to have odometer miles.

Luckily all those sellers will now read the CD forum and adjust to my personal preferences. Yeah.

Old 09-14-2023, 02:20 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
So why can’t these sellers write “restored miles” or something more specific? It does make sense for a classic car. But for so-called daily driver types, 1 to 20 years old, it would be more useful to have odometer miles.

Luckily all those sellers will now read the CD forum and adjust to my personal preferences. Yeah.
I have no clue what a restored mile would even be lol

I have seen many many listings that stated only xxxxx miles since engine replacement, or xxxx miles on new rebuilt drivetrain.

I'm not really sure how to expect used car sales to be exact and perfect with everything.

Old 09-14-2023, 07:05 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
There used to be a new car dealer near where I grew up. They set the odometers on all their used cars to zero. Their position was that the cars appearance should speak for itself. They wholesaled the older used cars to used car lots.

Old 09-14-2023, 07:17 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
There used to be a new car dealer near where I grew up. They set the odometers on all their used cars to zero. Their position was that the cars appearance should speak for itself. They wholesaled the older used cars to used car lots.
That's not that illegal. How long did they get away with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive