Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 07:09 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times

Advertisements

I'm simply amazed at how many newer white cars lately have sheets of paint falling right off. I've been noticing it for awhile on Hyundai/Kia vehicles, but yesterday I saw a newer Altima (current body style) in a parking lot with a 12" diameter area of missing paint on the hood. What is going on here? White is a very basic color and I can't understand why they can't get it right. I have a 2006 Chevy Express that has the same issue, but you'd think they'd have it figured out by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 07:10 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
It has nothing to do with the color and everything to do with cheap materials and/or improper prep work.

Old 04-26-2023, 05:20 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,857,850 times
I know Toyota had this issue esp with certain yr Corolla's and I know some got a free redo from Toyota.
We have a white Prius that I know has been on the list of affected cars. It is a 2011. I wash and wax regularly and so far it has been ok. I know it is a two stage pain and a bit more involved that the other colors. But it has also been more resilient to the freeway rashes that my other cars have.

Old 04-26-2023, 06:14 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
It has nothing to do with the color and everything to do with cheap materials and/or improper prep work.
My understanding (what someone that worked in a car plant told me) is that white cars require more paint than other colors, therefore I can see a mfg cheaping out.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:26 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I know Toyota had this issue esp with certain yr Corolla's and I know some got a free redo from Toyota.
We have a white Prius that I know has been on the list of affected cars. It is a 2011. I wash and wax regularly and so far it has been ok. I know it is a two stage pain and a bit more involved that the other colors. But it has also been more resilient to the freeway rashes that my other cars have.
Yeah my mother has a 2012 Highlander in Blizzard Pearl. It also has the paint peeling above the windshield.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:19 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Look at a black Honda product........after 3 years the clearcoat starts to get foggy then it turns white.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:26 AM

4,843 posts, read 3,270,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post

Without really knowing what the hell I'm talking about, I seem to recall some horrible manufacturer issues with red paints over the years... but not other colors.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:33 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,050,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'm simply amazed at how many newer white cars lately have sheets of paint falling right off. I've been noticing it for awhile on Hyundai/Kia vehicles, but yesterday I saw a newer Altima (current body style) in a parking lot with a 12" diameter area of missing paint on the hood. What is going on here? White is a very basic color and I can't understand why they can't get it right. I have a 2006 Chevy Express that has the same issue, but you'd think they'd have it figured out by now.
I noticed the same thing, going back to a few decades ago, and involving a number of manufacturers. I never tried to perform a survey, though. I know there was a problem when the manufacturers went to less volatile water-based paints. I don't know whether this affected white vehicles more, or if there were just a lot a white vehicles at the time.

Old 04-29-2023, 11:27 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,857,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I noticed the same thing, going back to a few decades ago, and involving a number of manufacturers. I never tried to perform a survey, though. I know there was a problem when the manufacturers went to less volatile water-based paints. I don't know whether this affected white vehicles more, or if there were just a lot a white vehicles at the time.
I believe the newer water based oil change was due to environmental issues. Same with house paint. When I want to buy an oil based paint for our fences from HD, here in CA, it is more difficult and requires some certification.

Old 04-29-2023, 04:16 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I believe the newer water based oil change was due to environmental issues. Same with house paint. When I want to buy an oil based paint for our fences from HD, here in CA, it is more difficult and requires some certification.
Exactly correct.

Water-based paints are ......

junk.

They don't stick as well.

Their colors travel (especially blues.)

Red isn't a prize either. (Unless you like "mauve" in 3 years.)

Yep, thank the EPA and CARB. (Also Cal/EPA.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive