Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 12:42 PM

9,904 posts, read 7,254,794 times

Advertisements

It's an age old argument on the anti-seize on the lug bolts. Tire Rack advises not to apply anti-seize to the lug bolts. Thus I have never done so and have never had an issue.

I've been doing snow tire swaps for over 20 years and have always bought rims for the snow tires. You can usually find sets on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist.

One local chain will not install tires bought elsewhere. It's just their policy. They will however patch any tire for $5 including break down, patch, remount, and balancing. When I buy tires online, I take them to NTB - now Mavis in MA - and they will mount and balance for about $100.

My method:

loosen nuts with breaker bar
raise car with floor jack
remove lug nuts/bolts with cordless impact
clean off hub with wire brush
apply anti-seize to hub
mount tire
install lug nuts/bolt with cordless impact at lowest setting
lower car
torque lug bolts/nut with torque wrench.

About a week later, I check the torque again.

I can do all three cars in about 90 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 12:53 PM

15,811 posts, read 20,582,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, that's in contradiction to mechanical engineering practice for the last 150 years or so.

You do what you want, but torque values are set based on lubricated threads. .
I didn't mean for my post to incorrectly reference lube vs no lube for all bolts. I meant for it to be specific to this thread and the topic of wheel lug nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
except in a very small number of special cases, which wheel studs aren't one.
That's just it. Most wheel studs and manufacturer-specific docs i've read do specify to torque the lug nuts without any lubricant or anti-seize on the threads.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 12-06-2022 at 01:38 PM..

Old 12-06-2022, 12:57 PM

14,262 posts, read 14,794,461 times
Already mounted on rims is the catch to making it a simple job.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:19 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,493,408 times
I wouldn't bother buying a torque wrench. Just get an impact wrench with a built-in torque setting. Depending upon where you live, you might be able to go year around with an all-terrain tire with a snowflake emblem.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:35 PM

4,599 posts, read 2,736,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I wouldn't bother buying a torque wrench. Just get an impact wrench with a built-in torque setting. ...
that's a big negatory, good buddy. Those things are less accurate than "a good heave on the wrench". A beam type torque wrench costs very little and will last the rest of your life.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:59 PM

6,382 posts, read 4,229,182 times
I’ve always kept a breaker bar with a socket in my work car so if I ever wound up with a flat tire, I wouldn’t have to struggle with the factory tire iron.

It worked out well since I’ve had at least three flats with my previous vehicle

Old 12-06-2022, 05:58 PM

999 posts, read 1,242,621 times
https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/portable-car-lifts/

Old 12-07-2022, 07:56 AM

16,559 posts, read 19,755,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I live in a densely populated area between two large cities. Perhaps there's no waiting in the city because, like all city dwellers proudly claim, nobody needs a car in the city. As such, tire shops shouldn't be as busy as those in the suburbs.
There are literally maybe 2 cities in the USA where you can get buy without a car.
NYC and... I don't know any other though I assume there must be one.
Also, I didn't say there wasn't waiting. I said shops take appointments.

Quote:
I once had a tire go flat on my way home from work.
Ok so that's an emergency. Can't quite make an appointment for that so this isn't what we are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
That is cool AF. Didn't know that was a thing. Daddy wants!

Quote:
I was literally going to remove the wheel, put on the spare, and let them get to it whenever - even later in the week. They still didn't want to do it. I guess flat repair and tire mounting isn't profitable enough.
But not what we are talking about. Making an appointment to get tires put on. I doubt anyone turns that away.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:09 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,921,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
There are literally maybe 2 cities in the USA where you can get buy without a car.
NYC and... I don't know any other though I assume there must be one.
Boston
SF
DC
Philadelphia

Old 12-07-2022, 08:11 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,793,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I have always purchased another set of wheels with the snow tires. Makes an easy swap out.
I do the same, it's also nice to have a full spare tire in the trunk, instead of a doughnut or can of fix-a-flat. It may for a winter tire spare in the summer or a summer tire in the winter, but it's a actual spare tire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive