Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 05:55 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

https://youtu.be/-eoMrwrGA8A
CAFE standards based upon wheel base penalizes small trucks with hybrid sedan level fuel economy requirements. Larger the truck, lower the fuel economy requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 06:19 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,905,882 times
Could also be a lack of customer demand!

Old 12-04-2022, 09:10 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Law of unintended consequences and all. Or rather the regulators getting played by the industry.

Old 12-04-2022, 11:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
The oil companies and tire manufacturers would not be too happy if the majority of pickups in the USA were small and got 50 mpg.

Dealers and manufacturers would be lean on profits if USA trucks ran to 1m miles, as do my 20 mpg Cummins 1st Generation Dodges. But my 50 mpg pickups meet 80% of my needs, and the CTDs will tow 30,000#. After that I use my Mack (56,000#), then jump to the Kenworth (105,500#).

But I'm always amazed at the massive loads the Toyota diesel Hiluxes haul throughout the world.

Americans prefer supersized everything, and they can apparently afford it.... So manufacturers are very happy to be supply fully loaded $80,000 pickups, instead of $12,000 basic utility pickups.

Crank windows, rubber floor mats, manual transmission, long box (or 10-12 ft flatbed), diesel engine, dually, positraction, 4x4, hubs, winch, heavy duty bumpers and front and rear + 5th wheel hitches, trailer brake controller, gun rack, 1000 mile range for fuel capacity... And I'm all set.

Just the basic essentials for a small (working) truck.

Old 12-05-2022, 12:43 AM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
I didn't know this. CAFE is fairly complicated and I have still never seen it explained clearly and well. In any case, it appears that as trucks get larger, the requirements for them to have high MPGs gets lower. Just by basic physics, you can more easily get high MPGs with a smaller truck than a larger one, so the basic trend of the rules anyway, I think makes perfect sense. I think that what Alex was saying is that for the smaller end of the scale, (a) it becomes increasingly difficult to meet the requirements without cost penalties, and (b) since the smaller trucks are also less expensive, the same absolute penalty will be a larger proportion of the MSRP on a smaller truck.

I still don't understand the finer points of this, but to be honest, what I do understand doesn't sound wrong. CAFE is after all meant to encourage higher fuel economies in the fleet, and to do that, you're going to want to set requirements so as to be achievable and yet, still applying some kind of cost pressure, otherwise, CAFE actually has no effect. It sounded like Alex was saying that he thought it was too aggressive on the smaller end - this may be true, but I wish he could have made his argument clearer and used more specifics.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 12-05-2022 at 01:16 AM..

Old 12-05-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I didn't know this. CAFE is fairly complicated and I have still never seen it explained clearly and well. In any case, it appears that as trucks get larger, the requirements for them to have high MPGs gets lower. Just by basic physics, you can more easily get high MPGs with a smaller truck than a larger one, so the basic trend of the rules anyway, I think makes perfect sense. I think that what Alex was saying is that for the smaller end of the scale, (a) it becomes increasingly difficult to meet the requirements without cost penalties, and (b) since the smaller trucks are also less expensive, the same absolute penalty will be a larger proportion of the MSRP on a smaller truck.

I still don't understand the finer points of this, but to be honest, what I do understand doesn't sound wrong. CAFE is after all meant to encourage higher fuel economies in the fleet, and to do that, you're going to want to set requirements so as to be achievable and yet, still applying some kind of cost pressure, otherwise, CAFE actually has no effect. It sounded like Alex was saying that he thought it was too aggressive on the smaller end - this may be true, but I wish he could have made his argument clearer and used more specifics.
We know they can engineer a small body on frame rear wheel drive truck that could get close to midsize sedan fuel economy in base power plant form. But those CAFE standards would need it to be a unibody front wheel drive plug in hybrid costing nearly as much as a midsize truck.

Old 12-05-2022, 10:55 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,298,831 times
The government set the goals.

The average mileage for new vehicles must be 49 mpg by 2026.

And who wouldn't want a 100 mpg truck in a few years?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn2jmMbZCIM

Old 12-05-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
The government set the goals.

The average mileage for new vehicles must be 49 mpg by 2026.

And who wouldn't want a 100 mpg truck in a few years?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn2jmMbZCIM
And how much would such a truck cost? Already full size trucks are about as expensive as BMW sedans. The technology and engineering to reach such a standard would greatly increase the cost of the vehicle and will reduce the towing capacity.

Old 12-05-2022, 01:46 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Could also be a lack of customer demand!
I doubt it. People get really excited when smaller trucks are introduced. Ford can't Mavericks on the showroom floor.

For people whose egos aren't tied up in the size of their truck, small trucks are the way to go for 99.99% of buyers. Something along the lines of long-bed pre-Tacoma Toyota was perfect. Enough bed space for just about anything. Low lift-over. Small-size made maneuverability much easier. Decent fuel economy. Today's trucks, especially full-sized ones, offer very limited utility relative to their enormous dimensions.

Old 12-05-2022, 02:36 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,404,508 times
People only want small trucks when they are cheaper. I think that was the downfall of the original Ford Ranger when it was discontinued the first time. The price for it and a comparable F150 were nearly the same. People started seeing the F150 as the better value, so sales of the smaller Ranger started to sink.

People want small trucks for small truck prices. I guess maybe those days might be gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive