U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:29 PM

692 posts, read 2,542,239 times

Advertisements

Mechanically speaking which is the best built of the three ?

Mazda 3
Honda Civic
Hyundai Elantra

It's for my wife so speed is not an issue, but reliability and safety are.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 12:49 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,476,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post

Mazda 3
Honda Civic
Hyundai Elantra

I would definitely recommend the Civic. I have a Honda Accord and its great....no problems whatsoever. I'm not familiar with the Mazda...but I used to have a Hyundai Elantra and it was the most unreliable piece of garbage I've ever had the displeasure of owning.

We also have a 2007 Toyota Corolla and love it so far. Its track record speaks for itself.

The Elantra is also not very well built....it seems Hyundai likes to cut corners and use cheap parts....cheap interior, controls, paint...and the car always seemed to be out of alignment....and we never have that problem with the Honda or the Toyota. My Honda has 111,000 trouble-free miles on it.....our Hyundai needed a new transmission at just over 40,000 miles.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:24 PM

169 posts, read 515,816 times
As a Women...I like the Mazda 3. Civic's are nice too but it depends what year you are wanting. I like the new 08 styles. They look sturdier. I only say that because I was in an accident in a civic a few years ago. nothing bad at all but the front end folded like paper.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:34 PM

2,517 posts, read 10,511,045 times
Quote:

Mazda 3
Honda Civic
Hyundai Elantra

Honda Civic AND it has much better resale value than the other three....a MUST to consider when you want to sell it...whether 2 years from now or 20 years from now.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:55 PM

742 posts, read 1,947,607 times
Mazda 3 is supposedly the successor to the Protege. Heard that it's a fun car with better than average reliability.

However, I recommend the Civic. It scored 5 stars in crash tests across the board. Be sure that it comes with side airbags, or the side driver and passenger will drop to 3 stars and 4 stars respectively. For some reason, sedans score a little better than coupes. EX trim and higher come with ABS.

Not sure why, but Hyundai's look like Japanese knock-offs. Sonata resembles a Camry, Elantra resembles the Corolla, Azera looks like the '03 Accord. It's biggest selling point is long warranties. 5-year base, 10-year powertrain.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:12 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,476,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post

Not sure why, but Hyundai's look like Japanese knock-offs. Sonata resembles a Camry, Elantra resembles the Corolla, Azera looks like the '03 Accord. It's biggest selling point is long warranties. 5-year base, 10-year powertrain.
The new Elantra looks nothing like a Corolla. I think the new Elantras are butt ugly....they look like eggs on wheels. I always thought the Sonata always looked like an Accord knockoff (the Accord circa 2006).

Either way, Hyundais are junk with horrible resale value.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:19 AM

3,183 posts, read 9,176,720 times
Quote:

Mazda 3
Honda Civic
Hyundai Elantra

Mazda 3, another car I would recommend is a Toyota Corolla

Old 05-29-2008, 02:16 AM

319 posts, read 1,845,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckown View Post
As a Women...I like the Mazda 3. Civic's are nice too but it depends what year you are wanting. I like the new 08 styles. They look sturdier. I only say that because I was in an accident in a civic a few years ago. nothing bad at all but the front end folded like paper.
Cars are built with crumple zones for safety. They may end up looking bad after an accident, but it is built to save your life.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:56 PM

25,857 posts, read 38,013,229 times
Honda Civics are always a great choice. Resale value, reliable, and inexpensive.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:04 PM

51 posts, read 214,396 times
I just bought a Mazda 3 and love the thing! The civic was our second choice but to much like driving a mini van inside. The 3 is very sporty, if you do not buy it, atleast take it for a test ride, its a sweet car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive