Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 08:55 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

So I was just bragging on my car battery starting right up every morning with no problem, even though it's been in the single digits and even below zero one day, yet I go to start it this morning when it's warmer than it has been in a week and it's deader than a doornail.

Is this how batteries die? Why today and not yesterday or two or three days ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 08:56 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
That's how batteries die, usually no warning !

Old 12-26-2022, 08:58 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Car batteries don't know what day of the week is. Surely you've had them replaced before?

Old 12-26-2022, 09:11 AM

10,851 posts, read 4,534,722 times
it does happen, a cell collapses and internally shorts it with resistance, it might charge back up, but will die again.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:44 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So I was just bragging on my car battery starting right up every morning with no problem, even though it's been in the single digits and even below zero one day, yet I go to start it this morning when it's warmer than it has been in a week and it's deader than a doornail.

Is this how batteries die? Why today and not yesterday or two or three days ago?
It is possible that the battery is not dead, but discharged. Unless you drive your car for extended periods each day the battery may not be fully charged when you park the car at home or anywhere else, overnight. This is very common in places where winters are cold. In this case, lets assume that you park your car at your front driveway for the weekend at sub-zero temperatures, and then try to start the engine Monday morning: if the battery was already partially discharged, it may not have enough "crank amps" let to start the engine.

It is not a good idea to rely on the headlight circuit to always turn the headlights and cabin lights off for you when you leave the vehicle, specially if the battery is partially discharged already. Also, things like the dome light, trunk light, and things like that can discharge the battery if left turned on overnight.

There is something else that could happen to a discharged battery, mostly on extremely cold temperatures, and that is that it can freeze. That's why the local automobile stores in Alaska where I live, void the warranty of a battery that has frozen.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:58 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
How old is the battery. 3 or more years and yes it can die suddenly. Mine recently dropped dead after 3 years and one month. Started it up late AM and 1 hour later started again click click click it was a gonner. AAA came out to jump it and the meter he had said it only had 100 cc's left out of original 700 cc's.

Old 12-26-2022, 03:05 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
I've been driving quite a bit every one of these very cold days, with lots of stops and starts. Thank goodness it didn't strand me in the middle of nowhere in these temps! I just thought that would have kept it going and/or it would have died on the very FIRST frigid night. It's definitely more than three years old, although I don't remember exactly off the top of my head. Yes, I've had it jumped before, but only because I left something on and ran it down, and have replaced it before, but only because a test told me I needed a replacement. Hopefully AAA will tow me to the battery replacement store if they can't get it going again.

Old 12-26-2022, 03:08 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
My wife reminded me today of a friend of ours (years ago) that came out of work one night and his car wouldn't start. He lifted the hood and found that his battery had been stolen. He put a new battery in and the next night he came out of work and bingo, same thing, wouldn't start, lifted the hood and his new battery was gone. Some one from his work said , "I saw an old battery over by the garbage bin" yesterday. Some smart ass did the whole thing to get a new battery for themselves.

Old 12-26-2022, 04:20 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Maybe it's just me, but seems like my old vehicles, the battery would show signs of dying before going completely. Enough to give me warning to go buy a replacement. But the one in my new vehicle, when it went, it went. Cranked fine at work to go to lunch. After lunch; dead as a door nail. Was able to get a jump from a friend at work to get to the parts store. Then to top it off, the actual battery was buried deep in the engine compartment. Instead of a simple couple of wing nuts and done, I had to take it to the dealer where they had to pull half the cooling hoses to get it out. Nothing is simple on a modern car anymore.

Old 12-26-2022, 04:31 PM

2,043 posts, read 1,661,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
That's how batteries die, usually no warning !
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
it does happen, a cell collapses and internally shorts it with resistance, it might charge back up, but will die again.

I've rarely had a battery die with no warning. You usually can tell when the weather gets cool and the starter doesn't spin as fast as usual. Or, you left the headlights on, or an interior light.

In the OP's case, I'd agree with RetireinPA, something broke internally and shorted out one or more cells. In that case the battery is toast and has to be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive