Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 03:02 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

In "jumper cables", so many people are talking about jump start kits because apparently the modern car is too sensitive to take jumper cables or at least its electronics. To me, "Well, that's great if you are down in the city.......but I am not.".

So when buying the next car, what should one look for that isn't all hi tech or what is the question one should ask to avoid all that Felgercarb?

I am sure I am going to be a loosey doozy for whatever salesman I get, not wanting a rolling jukebox room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2022, 04:03 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
In "jumper cables", so many people are talking about jump start kits because apparently the modern car is too sensitive to take jumper cables or at least its electronics. To me, "Well, that's great if you are down in the city.......but I am not.".

So when buying the next car, what should one look for that isn't all hi tech or what is the question one should ask to avoid all that Felgercarb?

I am sure I am going to be a loosey doozy for whatever salesman I get, not wanting a rolling jukebox room.
There is nothing wrong when jump starting a vehicle as long as it is done correctly. For example:

a. Where it gets very cold like it does in Alaska where I live, a nearly discharged battery can freeze. If you jump start a car with a frozen battery, there is a good chance for the battery to explode or break to pieces. In this case if you are near the battery with the jumper cables, some of the electrolyte can splash on you, and you may even be hit with the battery-case pieces.

b. Reverse polarity is another problem. This happens if you connect the cables reversed (positive to the negative ground or chassis. In this case you can create a short circuit and damage the vehicle electronics unless they are protected by MAIN fuses. These fuses are somewhere between the battery and the fuse panels, usually in the engine bay. But keep in mind that you are in fact sending positive ( +) power to the ground or negative side of the electrical components in your car.

c. It should be OK as long as the automobile manufacturer does not oppose jump starting your vehicle (read the manual), and following the specific instructions below, plus not forgetting about the possibility of a battery being frozen:
https://www.wikihow.com/Hook-up-Jumper-Cables

Old 12-23-2022, 04:10 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Quote:
I don't think there are any cars that are too sensitive to take a charge from cables, and I don't think anyone in the other thread was saying that. You can jump start a Prius or other hybrid no problem.

The problem comes in trying to go the other way. Hybrids aren't recommended to be the donor vehicle if you're trying to jump start another vehicle.

I'm very confused by the idea of jump start kits being a city thing. A kit would be better than just cables in a remote area, since cables require another vehicle to be around and kits do not. It's a very simple thing to add to your emergency kit and I can't think of any reason you wouldn't want to

Old 12-23-2022, 04:20 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
For the posts above, thank you.

The thing is, in a few years, I will be looking at buying a new car. I want something that plays around in the mud, not some fancy "wind up" car of all the comfortable electronics which is only good for carrying a bag of groceries each day from the store. Where my life is one where having a shovel and a bag of kitty litter in the back is standard outfitting at least. Where my idea of getting the trash bin out to the road is to lift it up, turn in 90 degrees, and shove it in the open back hatch.

Where the car is going to be treated rough.......and can take it, year after year.

What kind of car, brand, should I look for?

EDIT: And, PLEASE, let's not get into jump boxes! We already have a thread on that. This is about a rugged car to have that is not so gadget loaded, so sensitive, so best for operating where there is broadband, unlimited Internet.

I will be looking for a car, if I can find it, away from all that.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-23-2022 at 04:43 PM..

Old 12-23-2022, 04:35 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:

'80s F-250, pre-fuel injection.

Jump boxes are pretty great. I keep one in the glove box as the Prius can't jumpstart a lawnmower. Biggest thing I've used it on was an old RAM 3500 oilburner. I was a bit dubious it had the punch but low and behold left it on for a few minutes and it started right up. Not bad.

Old 12-23-2022, 07:58 PM

10,857 posts, read 4,534,722 times
i have a line on a 70 wagoneer with the 360, I think a 727 and full time 4wd. that would be pretty rugged

Old 12-23-2022, 08:28 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,403,861 times
Maybe import a new car from Russia. Every other new vehicle that I know of is built with loads of unnecessary technology. No way of getting around it.

One of the lowest tech vehicles that I can think of is a Jeep Wrangler. Still lots of unnecessary technology, such as a touch-screen info-tainment center and backup camera and loads of emissions stuff and engine management systems that are required (mostly thanks to California), but I believe you can still get one with manual locks and windows and transmission if you want.

Maybe someone else can chime in with some more choices, but so far that's the closest to a "low tech" new vehicle that I can think of.

Hell, it's even getting hard to find a vehicle that can run off of a real key that doesn't require batteries anymore.

Last edited by bfrabel; 12-23-2022 at 08:38 PM..

Old 12-23-2022, 10:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Get a custom built Heavy service vehicle. Or make your own.
https://www.legacyclassictrucks.com/..

Old 12-24-2022, 07:01 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
There is nothing wrong when jump starting a vehicle as long as it is done correctly. For example:

a. Where it gets very cold like it does in Alaska where I live, a nearly discharged battery can freeze. If you jump start a car with a frozen battery, there is a good chance for the battery to explode or break to pieces. In this case if you are near the battery with the jumper cables, some of the electrolyte can splash on you, and you may even be hit with the battery-case pieces.

b. Reverse polarity is another problem. This happens if you connect the cables reversed (positive to the negative ground or chassis. In this case you can create a short circuit and damage the vehicle electronics unless they are protected by MAIN fuses. These fuses are somewhere between the battery and the fuse panels, usually in the engine bay. But keep in mind that you are in fact sending positive ( +) power to the ground or negative side of the electrical components in your car.

c. It should be OK as long as the automobile manufacturer does not oppose jump starting your vehicle (read the manual), and following the specific instructions below, plus not forgetting about the possibility of a battery being frozen:
https://www.wikihow.com/Hook-up-Jumper-Cables
My truck blew a transmission line two days and I left it on a road for a tow I still haven’t gotten. It’s parked not in the way, but in a no parking spot and I figured it would have been towed within a few hours via had a 6 inch snowstorm with a -2F day. Made giant mistake of leaving hazards on, batteries are dead (diesel truck) and it’s been -2 to -11 that day, yesterday, today, next day etc… I’m screwed on batteries and getting towed. I could hook my vehicle up to charge batteries, but I’d be I’d be idling there for hours in hopes for anything. Im guessing only thing to save them is it finally being towed and pushed into friends heated shop.

Old 12-24-2022, 07:11 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,403,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
My truck blew a transmission line two days and I left it on a road for a tow I still haven’t gotten. It’s parked not in the way, but in a no parking spot and I figured it would have been towed within a few hours via had a 6 inch snowstorm with a -2F day. Made giant mistake of leaving hazards on, batteries are dead (diesel truck) and it’s been -2 to -11 that day, yesterday, today, next day etc… I’m screwed on batteries and getting towed. I could hook my vehicle up to charge batteries, but I’d be I’d be idling there for hours in hopes for anything. Im guessing only thing to save them is it finally being towed and pushed into friends heated shop.

That's why in addition to a good set of jumper cables, you should also always have a spare transmission line with you.

I'm just kidding. That sucks, but at least it's not in the impound lot yet. I'd recommend finding a tow truck soon before that happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive