Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2023, 01:04 PM

127 posts, read 142,851 times

Advertisements

Had a minor fender bender Monday morning. Woman claiming she was distracted by her 4 y.o. as she attempted to change lanes ran her left rear quarter panel into my front right fender while we were both traveling in the same direction. She was apologetic and there was no dispute as to the cause of the accident.

While waiting for the traffic officer, I tried to pull up the footage from the Rexing dash cam I currently have. I had no success. I read the owners manual and then found a better description of the required steps posted on-line. I was able to access video from days ago. I also have video of my hand removing the dash cam from the windshield after the accident. For the life of me I could not find footage of what had just transpired.

Although the officer said the woman's story was the same as mine and he cited her for careless driving, it bothers me that I could not pull up the video while on-scene to share with the traffic officer. In many ways this completely defeated my reason for having the dash cam. Later in the evening I put the SD card from the camera into my computer to see if I could find the video. Numerous files on the SD card. None of the morning drive and accident.

Nothing but frustration of not being able to locate the footage while on the roadside. Even more frustrating to learn it wasn't even recorded, apparently.

Any recommendations for a dash cam which is constantly recording every moment and allows for simple intuitive history viewing on the camera itself while in the vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 01:58 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,891,252 times
Garmin Dash Mini 2.

Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. The app isn't the greatest though.

Old 02-08-2023, 02:05 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
I don't know how "intuitive" mine are. Anything with more than one mode and menu are too much for me. NOT tech savvy at all.

But I bought three, 2 -- a Motorola and a Polaroid -- from HSN (Home Shopping Network) that would suction to the windshield -- and one on Amazon (one that goes over the rear view mirror. All had removable chips.

I saw the home shopping presentations -- and also did lots of online research -- videos and reviews -- on the best rated ones.

Of the three, I had my brother set up the over the mirror one. Mostly I chose it because it I really didn't wanton that stuck to the windshield. I wanted as inconspicuous as possible. Never used the other two.

He ran the wiring under the dash board, around and over the windshield, etc.
All he showed me how to do was turn it on and off. I still don't know how to navigate through the mode and menu settings. And hope I never need to. But I'm glad I have it.

All I do is start the car and look to see if the red dot starts flashing.

Old 02-08-2023, 02:37 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,852,576 times
Hard to give a good answer on how to properly use "your" dashcam...
Unless you have the unit in hand and have access to the "albeit bad instructions", there is no way to figure out how to operate "your" unit. Get somebody a bit savvier with this unit and he or she can help you there.

I bought this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
which is sadly apparently not in stock, but it is an example of what you should be looking for and then buy it from Amazon for the simple reason that if you do not get it operating, you can then always return the bugger...

So, get some help.
Or bite the bullet and get a simpler or better one...

By the way, mine seems to have simple instructions, and I found it easy to operate.
I even make travel movies with it besides having it as proof of what happened...

When you do get one, get an extra large memory stick as big as you can afford, so the time of recording is long enough to figure out what happened in some accident for instance.

Old 02-08-2023, 03:31 PM

701 posts, read 693,802 times
Saw this on ebay. What are ya'll thoughts on this camera. I never had on and don't what to get.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14485543512...Bk9SR9zh7bHGYQ

This one is also on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284379450756

Old 02-08-2023, 05:27 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,898,571 times
I've been holding on to this review site in the hopes that I will soon stop procrastinating and get one.

https://dashboardcamerareviews.com/d...parison-table/

Old 02-20-2023, 09:20 AM

127 posts, read 142,851 times
Reporting back with what I went with. I purchased this very inexpensive dash cam from Walmart.com. Only $35. I bought one for my car and one for my truck. Being over $50 for the order, no shipping charges.

The buttons/functions are easy to understand. I've checked numerous times over the past couple of weeks and I've been able to access the footage easily on the camera while seated in my vehicle. That was just what I was looking for. No missing footage and able to retrieve footage without hassle on the side of the road.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AUKEY-Wi-...4159a4cc4cfead

Old 02-20-2023, 12:51 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post
Reporting back with what I went with. I purchased this very inexpensive dash cam from Walmart.com. Only $35. I bought one for my car and one for my truck. Being over $50 for the order, no shipping charges.

The buttons/functions are easy to understand. I've checked numerous times over the past couple of weeks and I've been able to access the footage easily on the camera while seated in my vehicle. That was just what I was looking for. No missing footage and able to retrieve footage without hassle on the side of the road.

It sounds like your dash cam did not activate (and save the footage) when the accident happened. Maybe the sensitivity is set to high.

Old 02-20-2023, 04:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post

Here's the important things for a dashcam for me.

How large of a viewing angle does it have? This one has 170 degree which is good.

How long will it stay on when power is removed? If you're in an accident and the first hit disconnects your battery.. You still want at least a few more seconds of footage. This one says it has a 'supercap' which provides that power.. But.. How long does it last after you unplug it from power?

Can you pull the footage to your PC and zoom in? Someone sideswipes you and runs away, you want to make sure you can read their plate. Check this in day and night conditions. Some of these dashcams have a proprietary format.. Mine sort of does. It records in MP4, but to access all the GPS, you have to use their software to view the files.

GPS is a nice function to have on it, but not critical. If someone says you were speeding, you can actually clock yourself based on the lines in the road or mile markers or similar. Takes some doing (and some math) but possible. I can guarantee from the price point yours doesn't have the GPS.

For a basic dashcam.. What you got seems to be a very good value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive