Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 06:48 PM

3,705 posts, read 4,865,451 times

Advertisements

Its been a while, other than looking for a classic, that I've been looking for a modern age (2005 to 2012) used truck to pay cash for to get me through some debt.

I can't believe the lack of effort people go through to sell their vehicles.

You don't need to be a professional photographer and you don't even need to spend a full day giving it the best detailing you can do. But at least do something!

1 picture, such as a blurry picture of top of dash/windshield does not help.

Neither does it if it is full of trash

Or not even brushed out at minimum. how long to lift a couple floor mats and shake off the sand?

And what's with the night photos with the lights on so you can't see anything. At least we know the headlights work!

And not even a minimum description as far as motor, miles, 4x4, you know, important info. Just 2010 Ram. OhhhhhhKay!

One picture of a Bronco I remember from last year while looking for an old toy, had just a bit of the side visible as it was taken right after a ft or two of snow. The only way I could tell it was an old SUV (Bronco/Blazer/Ramcharger) was from the shape of the snow mound. The only way I could tell it was a Bronco was the groove in the side (78/79 "dentside")

Really? Don't want to or have the time? 5 minutes at a pressure wash and finish with a quick round at the vacuum where there is a trash can conveniently right there to empty you last months' worth of McDonalds trash!

I just laugh and keep scrolling.

And no, I'm not just talking about super low-priced vehicles rotting away in some field. I'm seeing it on regular 10- to 15-year-old trucks as well as higher end, newer trucks as I look at those also to see how my listing stacks up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2023, 09:13 PM

8,364 posts, read 6,461,909 times
My favorite is ones who took the pictures at night.

Old 02-05-2023, 01:27 PM

8,587 posts, read 11,013,062 times
I took just one picture of each of these classic cars before selling, and both sold within two days on a classic web site.
Strangely the sales were a couple of years apart, and both cars went to a buyer in Australia.
Attached Thumbnails
Do these people want to sell-1red.jpg   Do these people want to sell-dsc01824.jpg  

Old 02-06-2023, 04:24 AM

45,529 posts, read 60,760,162 times
Look at some ads for houses.

Old 02-07-2023, 02:05 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,317,016 times
Half the realtors in my town couldn't take good staging pictures to save their lives. It's not limited to amateur sellers. People who make a living doing these types of things don't know how to take good photos.

Old 02-10-2023, 11:06 AM

Sure, I'll take a 3 hour drive to come look at your truck with only pictures to go on.

Me: "Is there any rust"?
"Is it inspected and if not, are there any issues such as check engine light or exhaust modifications that would give me a problem going through?"
"Do you have the title and is it in your name"?
"What engine?"
And if it is a Ford 5.4 that I'm looking at......"Have the spark plugs been changed"?

A simple handful of questions to see if it's worth my time. In no way am I wasting their time by asking that!

Them: "Come take a look at it. I'm willing to negotiate!"

mmmmmh , NOPE!. Answer a couple quick questions and I'll come. Oh paleeeeze! Either you want to sell or not.

You don't want your Presious time wasted by not taking 5 seconds to answer a couple of questions? I don't want to waste my time driving a couple hours to and a couple hours from. Make the best of your few seconds saved!

Quite comical actually!

Old 02-10-2023, 02:33 PM

10,537 posts, read 7,067,480 times
My favorite is when people use old photos. I went to look at a car a few months ago, and the photos were probably when he first bought it. It looked so different with the mods he added, ripped apart dashboard that it wasted my time.

They do say that when they have bad pictures you can usually score a better deal.

Old 02-10-2023, 05:31 PM

I like the ones with a pic of the drivers side frt corner, dr rear corner and dr side view. And a pic of the passenger seat.

I guess they don't want anybody to see the big tear in the drivers side seat or where it was T-boned on the passenger side!

Old 02-11-2023, 07:28 AM

4,156 posts, read 3,078,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Sure, I'll take a 3 hour drive to come look at your truck with only pictures to go on.

Me: "Is there any rust"?
"Is it inspected and if not, are there any issues such as check engine light or exhaust modifications that would give me a problem going through?"
"Do you have the title and is it in your name"?
"What engine?"
And if it is a Ford 5.4 that I'm looking at......"Have the spark plugs been changed"?

A simple handful of questions to see if it's worth my time. In no way am I wasting their time by asking that!

Them: "Come take a look at it. I'm willing to negotiate!"

mmmmmh , NOPE!. Answer a couple quick questions and I'll come. Oh paleeeeze! Either you want to sell or not.

You don't want your Presious time wasted by not taking 5 seconds to answer a couple of questions? I don't want to waste my time driving a couple hours to and a couple hours from. Make the best of your few seconds saved!

Quite comical actually!
That about sums it up:
The vehicle is too rusty to pass Pennsylvania inspection.
If the Check Engine light could be fixed with a $20 part, the owner would have done so. Fixing the Check Engine light so that the vehicle can pass emissions inspection would cost more than the value of the vehicle.
There are problems with the title.

Old 02-11-2023, 08:24 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,934,919 times
"The AC just needs a charge."

"One owner car."
"Oh, so you're the original owner on the title."
'Un, no."
"Then it's not a one owner car, is it?"
"Well, I'm selling it for (insert person here)."

And I'd hate to tell you what 95% restored means. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive