Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2023, 06:01 AM

609 posts, read 528,901 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used the CarEdge concierge service to buy a car? I know some people enjoy the car buying process, but I absolutely abhor it. It is very stressful for me and I currently do not need any additional stress in my life. Unfortunately I am in a position where I need a vehicle soon so I can’t just wait it out.

I visited the local Honda dealership recently on a Sunday and noticed every single new vehicle on the lot had a $4000 “market adjustment” added to the MSRP. This was in addition to all the other nearly $2000 in dealer add ons. I’m currently leaning towards a newer used car, but I realize these are selling at a premium too.

Anyway back to the original question. Here is a link to the CarEdge website -

https://caredge.com/

They charge $999 to handle the entire process for you. That’s a lot of money, but if they save me at least that much over what I could have negotiated it will be well worth it to me. Even if they only save half of that avoiding the stress is worth a lot to me. I’m just trying to get real life experiences with them to determine if they are legit or not

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 06:24 AM

313 posts, read 207,482 times
If I were to use ANY car-buying service, there would only be one - COSTCO !

Old 03-16-2023, 07:10 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,228,591 times
$1000? Wow and have never heard of it. Stick with Costco or a bank/credit union which does something like that for free.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:37 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAmsterdam View Post
If I were to use ANY car-buying service, there would only be one - COSTCO !
Sams Club has one too, but I've never used it.

Old 03-16-2023, 11:17 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
The advantage of a buying service should be less now that many dealers are not negotiating. The service would be mostly just finding the car which is the least annoying part of the process.

In a different market I still would not pay for a buying service. The annoyances of dealerships discourage me from buying often, which probably saves me more money.

Old 03-16-2023, 05:18 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
If you are buying new, then go test drive a few cars that you are considering and decide on the Make, Model and trim. Then get on the dealer's website from nearby to lets say 100 miles away and check their inventory. Then call them and ask for out the door price on the particular car. It would be easier if you were paying cash. You can secure a loan from your own credit union but they do dance better if you finance through them-usually.
I haven't checked the site posted, but seems like an extra layer of profit.

Addendum;
I was tempted and checked it out. They are a father and son and have a youtube channel, pretty decent actually, just have to speed the videos as they are a bit slow!
Having said that, I am not sure how their buying service is. If they are not asking for anything upfront, you can try it but be aware that you might be wasting a bunch of time.

As much as I am a car guy, I also hate the buying process.

Old 03-16-2023, 05:25 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
$1000? Wow and have never heard of it. Stick with Costco or a bank/credit union which does something like that for free.
Consumer Reports also has a fair price car pricing service. Not sure how good it is though.

Old 03-17-2023, 05:30 AM

609 posts, read 528,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
If you are buying new, then go test drive a few cars that you are considering and decide on the Make, Model and trim. Then get on the dealer's website from nearby to lets say 100 miles away and check their inventory. Then call them and ask for out the door price on the particular car. It would be easier if you were paying cash. You can secure a loan from your own credit union but they do dance better if you finance through them-usually.
I haven't checked the site posted, but seems like an extra layer of profit.

Addendum;
I was tempted and checked it out. They are a father and son and have a youtube channel, pretty decent actually, just have to speed the videos as they are a bit slow!
Having said that, I am not sure how their buying service is. If they are not asking for anything upfront, you can try it but be aware that you might be wasting a bunch of time.

As much as I am a car guy, I also hate the buying process.
First thanks for the reply. I will be paying cash, but everything I’ve heard (including from the CarEdge guys) says this is a disadvantage during the negotiating process because the dealer makes money off of the financing as well as the sell of the car. Therefore the advice is to keep this to yourself until a final price has been reached.

I too have watched some of the CarEdge YouTube’s with the father and son. Supposedly the father spent 40 years in the car sales business and is now attempting to use his knowledge to help buyers. They come across as genuine, decent guys in the videos so that is why I was looking for someone with real life experience with them.

The last new car I purchased (2017 Honda Pilot) I used the trucar site and ended up with three or four offers. The best offer was from a dealer about 75 miles away. I took that offer to the local Honda dealer and they matched it so that process was easy. I’m probably not buying new this time so that process probably won’t work this time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive