Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 08:25 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,857 times

Advertisements

This is the first time I have ever tried to sell a vehicle or trailer myself so I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to do to make this go smoothly.

I am selling a horse trailer and I have posted it on Nextdoor, Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.* I have been contacted by a handful of people*(mostly on Facebook Marketplace) that seem a little 'off'.* Like urgently wanting*to come see it, supposedly contacting me about someone who doesn't have facebook and wanting to call me or have me call them, people contacting me from a location 6 hours away, etc.

Is this the norm?* I have not given any of them my phone number or address as I am suspicious.* I will also require a cashiers check for payment and I plan to call their bank for verify it before I sign over title. I will look up their bank's phone number instead of using the number of on the check.

What tips do you all have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 09:26 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Some articles from police etc. are recommending to Not accept cashier’s checks. Possibly they can be counterfeit?

I have sold titled items by meeting the buyer at my bank and having the bank accept the check while we are both there. I also have the bank notarize the sale at the same time.

Old 04-16-2023, 09:39 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Some articles from police etc. are recommending to Not accept cashier’s checks. Possibly they can be counterfeit?

I have sold titled items by meeting the buyer at my bank and having the bank accept the check while we are both there. I also have the bank notarize the sale at the same time.
Absolute best suggestion, Meet at bank..... preferably theirs, but could be yours. Notarize there, and verify check there.

I was also warned by the bank about counterfeit cashier's checks.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:01 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
I sold and bought lost count how many cars on craigslist. Had no success with Offerup. I don't do Facebook and socila media and Nextdoor is junk.

Here's the word of wisdom. If you do not have patience, made out of adamantium, can't read people and scams by their emails and texts, have no patience to deal with tirekickers - find someone who'll sell it for you.

At least add to your ad - viewings/test drives only with cash in hand.

https://www.craigslist.org/about/safety

https://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Old 04-16-2023, 08:33 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
Your assessment is correct. A lot of scammers and clueless folks out there. I also have had best luck with craigslist. The social media sites have a lot of poorly presented cars and potential scams, so you might wasting even more time. On regular cars, I have also always posted on cargurus. Same $5 as CL.
You have to use your peoples' skills and figure out your buyer. I would never schedule a test drive without talking to the other party on the phone. Twice I passed on them, sounded flaky.
If the amount is low, I take cash, otherwise meet in THEIR bank/credit union and see the cashier's check issued.

Old 04-17-2023, 06:12 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
At least add to your ad - viewings/test drives only with cash in hand.

[/b]
How does this work for buyers, who might be nervous about walking around with thousands of dollars in cash in their pocket? To see a car they may not even end up wanting to buy? (Not to mention, meeting up with an unknown person who knows they're going to show up with thousands of dollars in cash in their pocket...)

(Not being snarky-- genuinely curious as I'm thinking of buying a car at some point in the near future and have seen ads that say this.)

Old 04-17-2023, 07:31 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Scammers on a lot of websites, you have to be aware.

One of the things a seller can do to protect themselves, make your listing very detailed so truly interested
buyers have most of their questions already answered.

Post good pictures of your item. Also, offer to answer questions online and post more pics if needed.....basically pre-screening for serious buyers by posting all the info they need before they contact you.

Old 04-17-2023, 12:45 PM

480 posts, read 316,263 times
People who ask questions that are clearly answered in your listing are often scammers/bots. I ignore them.

Old 04-17-2023, 01:16 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
I've sold 2 vehicles this year and asked for a certified check. Both were good since the bank certified that the funds were deposited there.

Old 04-17-2023, 03:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We have had the best luck using Facebook marketplace because you get mostly local people and fewer scammers. Craigslist is almost 100% scammer responses. Regardless of how you list it, there is a good change the person will show up with a list of reasons they should get a reduced price, or simply say sorry I am a bit short of the agreed price. Send them packing unless you have no other interest in the trailer. If they cannot take the trailer that day and want to give you partial payment, be on alert. If they have any deal where they give you money or a check and you give them some money back it is absolutely a scam. Money can only move in one direction. Two safe-ish ways to do the transfer is to meet at the bank and either have them give you cash and the bank verifies it right there, or they give you a certified check that is verified on the spot. Any regular check can be stopped after they take the vehicle, or they can pull the funds out of their account on their way home. The best option is selling it to someone you know, or at least someone in your community who has lived there for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive