Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 01:04 PM

3,882 posts, read 4,534,690 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

Few months back, got hit by a lady who didn't check her blind spot going through town. Happily no one hurt, but my car took a beating. She admitted fault and it was to be sorted out by her insurance, Geico.

Took a month to fix the car, then a few weeks ago my tire pressure light was blinked then went off. Stopped at American tires for a check and the guy said the pressure was fine, but told me I had the wrong tires on my car! I have Avid Ascend, and he said I should have "60s", but I had "50s" on my car. He said my car was too heavy for the tires, as the "50s" should be for a sedan, and I have a Subaru Outback. He told me not to be overly concerned as I wasn't in any danger, but it should be corrected.

Stopped at the local Baru dealership and the guy there confirmed I had the wrong tires. I called the tire shop I used while living in the previous town I lived in and it was confirmed the full set of tires I bought in October '21 were the correct tires. "60s"

Called the guy at the body shop who did all the work and he checked the adjuster's estimate with the part orders and turns out that she's the one who wrote down the wrong tire. He then cluelessly ordered the tires from Big O, claiming he let them know what car they are for, they didn't catch the mistake so they were delivered to the shop who then had a different tire shop across the street install them on my car!!

The body shop guy tried patting me on the head, saying it was no big deal, it's not unsafe to drive, blah blah blah. That ticked me off! I was told it affects the odometer, and if I get a flat tire, what am I supposed to do replace it with the wrong tire? I insisted I get the correct tires on my car!!! Geesh!!

So...guy at the body shop called the adjuster who basically said "too bad". So then I got in touch with her supervisor and he agreed a mistake was made, but only offered to pay the shop for labor, however not for a new set of tires, because according to Geico, the body shop assigned the job are ultimately responsible for making sure the car goes out the door with with all the correct parts.

So now I'm waiting to hear back from the body shop after leaving a message letting them know what the Geico supervisor said, (plus I had him send me an email stating his position).

So dang frustrating. I'm really annoyed this isn't taken care of right away and have to be in the middle of a bunch of finger pointing. I would rather not have to start calling the better business bureau in town, or think about small claims court. I usually don't "sweat the small stuff", but this is my one and only car! Grrrrrrr!

Any suggestions welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 01:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Some of us LOVE to have 50 series tires as replacements for 60's, but.... If you insist on OEM, then the Repair Shop that ordered the wrong tires must eat (and replace) them, and your insurance CO is to be your advocate. (to assure you get replaced with 'in-spec-replacements'.

Your friendly agent should be all over this. They need happy customers.

Don't sweat it, just tell them they must FIX IT.

It is entirely possible to have the correct diameter in a 60 or 50 series tire, but they will be different sizes to accomidate for the profile change. Usually the rub... is the 50 might be too wide for fender clearances when turing sharply, or in a Subie, you might prefer the taller 60's for off-road use. Actually... 50's are a 'safer' tire (better handling), but not as forgiving (tire damage with road hazards). If the wrong diameter, your speedometer will be reading slower with a 50 series of same size. VERY important on awd (Subie) is all tires in the matched set to be identical dia (Outside Diameter)

Old 08-07-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Some of us LOVE to have 50 series tires, but.... If you insist on OEM, then the Repair Shop that ordered the wrong tires must eat (and replace) them, and your insurance CO is to be your advocate. (to assure you get replaced with 'in-spec-replacements'.

Your friendly agent should be all over this. They need happy customers.

Don't sweat it, just tell them they must FIX IT.
I would need to contact Geico's agent. My insurance wasn't involved.

Old 08-07-2023, 01:26 PM

My insurance agent would be HAPPY to contact Geico on my behalf

He's on the state insurance board, and very proactive.

Give your's a call and see what they recommend.

Old 08-07-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My insurance agent would be HAPPY to contact Geico on my behalf

He's on the state insurance board, and very proactive.

Give your's a call and see what they recommend.
Good idea, thanks!

Old 08-07-2023, 05:49 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Stealth is 100% right!!!!

Your insurance company is your advocate and can easily get involved. They should offer to replace your tires with the correct ones then GO AFTER the guilty party for a settlement. It could take some time, therefore they should foot the bill and get reimbursed once the case is proven and settled.

Be prepared to do a bit of prodding to get them moving.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Stealth is 100% right!!!!

Your insurance company is your advocate and can easily get involved. They should offer to replace your tires with the correct ones then GO AFTER the guilty party for a settlement. It could take some time, therefore they should foot the bill and get reimbursed once the case is proven and settled.

Be prepared to do a bit of prodding to get them moving.
Yes, thank you! I will call my insurance company tomorrow morning. I was hoping to hear back from the guy at the body shop this afternoon, but he hasn't responded to my email yet.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:20 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Slow down everyone. What kind of car is it and have YOU looked at the recommended tire sizes yourself?

While it is likely that going to 50-series tires is not a proper fitment for your specific vehicle there is only one way to know definitively. Look up exactly what the mfgr says. It's in your OM or in the doorframe of the driver's door.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Slow down everyone. What kind of car is it and have YOU looked at the recommended tire sizes yourself?
as stated in OP... Subaru Outback
Quote:
He said my car was too heavy for the tires, as the "50s" should be for a sedan, and I have a Subaru Outback. He told me not to be overly concerned as I wasn't in any danger, but it should be corrected.

Stopped at the local Baru dealership and the guy there confirmed I had the wrong tires.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:27 PM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Such a rookie mistake. Tire size is as simple as ABC. Correcting reading errors obviously isn't so simple. Good luck, I'm sure the proper amount of pressure (haha) will get this sorted out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive