Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 02:06 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubalu View Post
I'm not going to be driving the car in the highway (I don't have the full license yet.), it's mostly for city driving like going to school, shopping, running errands, etc. I guess gas mileage is important since my mom told me I'll be paying for my own gas. Wait, I'm not even sure what gas mileage is, is that how many miles you can travel on a certain amount of gas? Ha I don't understand half the auto lingo here...told you guys I know nothing about cars.

Ok, so a Saturn Sky is available in automatic? That's good to know , I'm really considering getting one.

Pheonix...I'm pretty sure I've heard that girls get cheaper insurance than guys at my age, at least here in Canada. Are you sure that isn't right? I know age is a factor but I also thought gender was another thing they consider.
Yes, gas mileage is extremely important now that the prices of gas are going up up up. It is the measure of how many miles you can travel on one gallon of gas. Obviously, more is better in this case.

Go to different car makers' websites that you are interested in and you can "build" a car to your liking, including transmission, color, and other options. It also will give you the estimated MSRP with all the options you chose. I don't know if options for the Sky or Solstice are the same in the US and Canada - sometimes options are different or packaged differently. Not to mention emissions standards, etc.

I have also heard that males under the age of 25 have the highest insurance rates due to the risk that they pose (this is calculated by the insurance companies based on statistical data). The type of car will also be a factor - cars that are generally driven by more males under the age of 25 sometimes have higher insurance rates than similar cars that are not as popular with that demographic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 02:20 PM

75 posts, read 142,344 times
Thanks miamiblue. I've actually already done that...going to different websites and building my own car.

Right now what I'm doing is trying to get quotas for the insurance. My mom and brother have insurance with this bank already, if I get it too do I get a discount, or should I look for another company like Allstate or State Farm? Which will give me a better quota?

The insurance website is also asking me how many kilometers do I drive in a year, and how many per day? I have no idea! Can somebody give me a rough estimate?

Old 05-30-2008, 04:19 PM

742 posts, read 2,068,057 times
Quote:
Right now what I'm doing is trying to get quotas for the insurance. My mom and brother have insurance with this bank already, if I get it too do I get a discount, or should I look for another company like Allstate or State Farm? Which will give me a better quota?

The insurance website is also asking me how many kilometers do I drive in a year, and how many per day? I have no idea! Can somebody give me a rough estimate?
My wife has State Farm. Her premium is higher than mine, but she gets free car rentals when her vehicle is in the shop. I opted for the low premium I can find. It's important to check what they offer in the quote. Cheaper isn't always all-good.

As for yearly mileage, take average daily driving and multiply by 365.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:16 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
As for yearly mileage, take average daily driving and multiply by 365.
Just note that the more miles you "claim", the higher your premiums will be. So, if you carpool once a week(), or ride a train a couple times a week(), don't forget to take that into account when providing your mileage estimate to the insurer.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:18 PM

75 posts, read 142,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Just note that the more miles you "claim", the higher your premiums will be. So, if you carpool once a week(), or ride a train a couple times a week(), don't forget to take that into account when providing your mileage estimate to the insurer.
So the insurance company doesn't actually know how many miles you drive a year right? You could claim a false amount?

Old 05-30-2008, 08:03 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,142 times
Go right ahead. And when you get into an accident or put in a claim and your mileage if way off, then they can drop you like a bad habit and you would be left with the costs. A certain group of people in Windsor, Ont. got busted for falsyfing claims and mileage. It's karma.....

Old 05-31-2008, 12:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
So the insurance company doesn't actually know how many miles you drive a year right? You could claim a false amount?
bad idea... insurance companies have ways of getting that info, as well as much more. Newer cars have a 'black box' that will reveal the truth..

bad idea #2... sports car for first car...

Do your parents and especially yourself a BIG favor and when / if you have the $$ to pay insurance + maint + car + gas... go buy a 10-15 yr old $500 car with airbags.... when you make it big in life, upgrade to a more desirable ride (paid for by yourself ).

Cut the strings; anyone over 18 should be 'self-funded'. It's a valuable education and 'free-ing' for all parties. Be especially cautious of the tremendous liability burden you are to your folks until you are age 25 (even if you are living away and self funded...) Be safe, or they could be destitute, especially if the courts like their vast assets Have them carry a liability umbrella 2x their net worth (and offer to cover their increased premium, so you have some 'skin' in the game). It will keep you honest

Old 05-31-2008, 01:12 PM

742 posts, read 2,068,057 times
I wouldn't recommend a car that's too old. As a newbie driver, you're not expected to know everything about car maintenance. Couple that with a car over a decade old is an accident waiting to happen.Too much $hitload of mechanical problems. My dad talked me into driving a '74 Mini Clubman 15 years ago. Where do I begin listing the problems? Sticky transmission, side-view mirror felt off, engine stalled during driving, horn fuse blown, brakes giving out, excessive skidding when braking, etc. He said the small-size makes it a problem. I say it's the age.

Go with something 5 to 10 years. The safety standards are at least more up-to-date.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:17 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
bad idea... insurance companies have ways of getting that info, as well as much more. Newer cars have a 'black box' that will reveal the truth..
The odometer is what indicates your mileage. What does the "black box" have to do with it?
Furthermore, the contents of said box can't be accessed without your consent.

Quote:
Do your parents and especially yourself a BIG favor and when / if you have the $$ to pay insurance + maint + car + gas... go buy a 10-15 yr old $500 car with airbags.
$500 for a semi-dependable, legally safe, 10-15 yr. old car???? Sure thing, you'll find 'em for sale on every street.

Quote:
Be especially cautious of the tremendous liability burden you are to your folks until you are age 25 (even if you are living away and self funded...)
Huh??????
This reads as if you're saying that a parent is liable for their child until they reach 25.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:32 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,582,776 times
Quote:
Hi everyone. I just turned 21, just got my license a couple of months ago, and I'll be getting my first car soon. Ok, here's the deal. I really want to get a small sports car, but my mom can't really afford an expensive one right now...well actually she would buy me one but insurance is going to be super expensive since it's a sports car (or so she says).

Anyway I was doing some research online and I came upon 2 fairly cheap, nice looking sports cars. I'm a female and know nothing about cars haha, so I'm hoping you guys could help me out a little. One of the ones I found is the Saturn Sky and the other one is the Pontiac Solstice. Which one is better???

Oh by the way, feel free to suggest other nice sport cars that aren't over $40 K.
I would go with the Saturn sky, it's more reliable and look a lil more modern. But personally I think 40k for a first car is a lil too much and wouldn't go for more than 20k for a first car, a cars primary purpose is to get your from point A to point B, besides your insurance might be quite high for any of those two as well. You can look into VW beetle, Ford Mustang, MAZDA 3S, SCION tC, Mazda Miata for good cars that are under 20k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive