Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 10:07 AM

6,338 posts, read 2,889,808 times

Advertisements

I always buy cars with reclaimed titles and have never had a major problem with them. The dealer where I buy has a good deal on a 2019 Elantra that is 5k under book so I'm thinking of getting it as a backup car. I want the last of the regular auto trans cars so I can avoid a CVT as long as possible.

According to this article in nerd wallet buying a rental is a good idea. Has anyone else bought rentals and what kind of experiences did you have?

Quote:
Used rental cars are reasonably priced and well maintained, so budget shoppers may not mind limited inventory and extra mileage from past drivers.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/l...ing-rental-car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 10:16 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
we have purchased several rentals cars in the last few decades. we use them in our fleet of sales/service vehicles. we have not had a significant issue with any of them. they are usually maintained and well cared for by the rental companies, as they are an asset and must be presentable and ready to roll for their customers.

we have never been disappointed and i don't think you will be either.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:36 AM

17,301 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Id be more wary if it was a rental Mustang or equivalent. An Elantra I would just treat it like any used purchase. Just have it checked out by a mechanic and give it a thorough interior detail if it hasn't had one.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:41 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
One issue is over pricing for rebuilt titles, damaged cars or even rental cars. Many sellers think a lower mileage yet rebuilt title is close to retail. Bargain they say.

Don’t know how OP’s Elantra can be $5k underpriced when there isn’t that much wiggle room compared to barely used 2019 Elantras.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:41 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
on a side note about cvt, we bought a nissan (previous rental) with a cvt just before covid and it has over 125k with nothing but regular service.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:50 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Both my car and wife's care are former Rentals.

Wife's car (Chevy Traverse) has 100K miles on it and i've only done regular maintenance to it. No issues at all.

My Car (Ford Taurus) has almost 160K miles now, and it's had some minor issues...mostly suspension wear and tear and a rusted exhaust. Can't really blame that on it's rental history given that I bought the car at 35K miles so most of the wear and tear has been put on by myself.

Would I purposely seek out rental cars to buy? No. But i wouldn't shy away.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 04-18-2023 at 11:06 AM..

Old 04-18-2023, 12:09 PM

6,338 posts, read 2,889,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
One issue is over pricing for rebuilt titles, damaged cars or even rental cars. Many sellers think a lower mileage yet rebuilt title is close to retail. Bargain they say.

Don’t know how OP’s Elantra can be $5k underpriced when there isn’t that much wiggle room compared to barely used 2019 Elantras.
Used cars are still too expensive. I used to get 2 year old cars with low mileage for 10-11K at the reclaimed title place. Now a 4 year old car for 13k is the best deal I can see.

Old 04-18-2023, 02:51 PM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
.... I used to get 2 year old cars with low mileage for 10-11K at the reclaimed title place.
I've never heard of the term "reclaimed title". Could you elaborate?

With respect to rental cars, I would be somewhat reluctant, for 2 reasons. Reason #1, back when I was working, I, and some of my colleagues used to have to take "road trips" as part of our job. These were trips too close to fly, so we drove, but company insurance regulations had us in rentals, rather than our own cars. I don't know why, but a couple of the guys thought that this was an opportunity to release their inner stress, and they'd "drive it like they stole it".

Reason #2, one of my buddies went on an out of state fishing contest. 3 guys went on this excursion, but none of them owned a car, they all had pick up trucks, so they rented a car so they could all ride together, as well as bring their "stuff". After driving a couple hundred miles, at highway speed, they stopped for gas and a rest room break.

One of the guys decided to check the oil, even though the others said, "Don't worry the agency guys always check this stuff". Long story, the car was down 2 quarts, and who knows how long it had been that way.

Just sayin..........

Old 04-18-2023, 06:39 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Biggest issue with buying from a rental fleet has to do with cosmetics. They are usually a bit more worn cosmetically, interior and exterior wise. As far as mechanical, I think they are better maintained than the average car in private ownership.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:10 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
I used to buy ex-rentals and had decent luck but nowadays, they keep them for longer and more miles and the wear and tear shows up. I also used to get them way bellow market price but now that is not the case any more.
In the beginning of the pandemic went to Hertz to check out a used Tucson. The car was fine but the driver door was crooked. The salesperson said that probably someone locked the keys inside and just yanked the door from the top to access the latch.
Also, recently, my rentals have not been really in good shape. Dirty inside with no floor mats, a few Hyundai's that were low on oil for a qt or two. Maintenance light flashing on Toyota's.
But, it also depends on the price and probably still better than a salvage car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive