Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 10:10 AM

4,554 posts, read 3,752,342 times

Advertisements

There's too many people who act like they feel personally attacked with the increase of EV buying. Don't worry and calm down - gas engines will never go away. Gas engines will still be around for trucks, utility vehicles, on the water, ocean, lakes and of course, the military.

Our nephew just got back from the current service period and he was in Poland, helping train Ukrainians on the M142 HIMARS - the high mobility rocket system that is helping them so much. It uses a Caterpillar 7.2 liter diesel engine with 290 hp and around 950 lb-ft of torque! (Medium tactical vehicle truck frame).

They've been getting reports that when they run low on diesel fuel, they pour vegetable oil, mixtures and who knows what other alternatives they are using in the field, since unpredictability is so high.

None of us need a vehicle capable of carrying HIMARS missiles, but even in our grandkids' lifetimes, there will be gas engines for trucks, utility vehicles, RVS etc to do the grunt work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 10:23 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,350,606 times
Haha, I think you misunderstand the issue. I don’t think anyone feels personally attacked because some people are choosing to buy EVs. However, many of us absolutely resent the fact that government, in some states, is more or less mandating that we all buy them after a certain year, by eliminating all of our other choices.

Sure, you can say “oh, 2030-2035 is so far away, nothing to worry about here” or you can say “meh, as we get closer to that date, those states will realize that these mandates won’t work” and that’s fine — but the mandates are in place today, and New York, California, Massachusetts, etc contain a sizable chunk of the population in this country.

I’m not anti-EV, but I am anti-mandate.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:34 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I find electricity and electronics to be very interesting.

I prefer my appliances to be electric.

That being said, I am not anti-EV.....but I am pro-reality.

EVs still have many issues to be ironed-out before most consumers will consider them as their primary vehicle.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:42 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Not an issue if the government wasn’t mandating stopping the sale of new ICE vehicles in favor of EVs only. Also, posting news stories about real issues with EVs doesn’t make one “anti-EV”. We also share recalls and fire issues of ICE vehicles. Doesn’t mean we hated that brand of vehicle. It’s just sharing an actual issue with particular vehicles. Let the consumers decide for themselves what vehicle fits their needs and wants.

Old 10-09-2022, 12:13 PM

Well, you guys may not be - but I’m talking about someone talking about their new Model Y they got recently or posting a photo of their new Ioniq 5 and they are just excited about it. The anti-EV crowd immediately comes talking junk about EVs, battery costs, and all other garbage.

Old 10-09-2022, 12:28 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,350,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Well, you guys may not be - but I’m talking about someone talking about their new Model Y they got recently or posting a photo of their new Ioniq 5 and they are just excited about it. The anti-EV crowd immediately comes talking junk about EVs, battery costs, and all other garbage.
Well, that’s not nice. I, personally, do not have a problem with someone choosing to buy one.

(Although I will admit, while I would never say it, I have a friend who has a Model 3, and whenever I see it, I always think about how the front end reminds me a woman with ‘duck lips’ like this: https://nypost.com/2022/07/14/tiktok...s-like-a-duck/ - but it doesn’t matter what I think; I’m happy for him that he really likes his Model 3.)

Old 10-09-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Well, that’s not nice. I, personally, do not have a problem with someone choosing to buy one.

(Although I will admit, while I would never say it, I have a friend who has a Model 3, and whenever I see it, I always think about how the front end reminds me a woman with ‘duck lips’ like this: https://nypost.com/2022/07/14/tiktok...s-like-a-duck/ - but it doesn’t matter what I think; I’m happy for him that he really likes his Model 3.)

Yep, I think the same! So many model Ys and I think, “another egg-shape suv.” But that’s like any other car people buy and we have our individual preferences and likes. Could be the same issue buying that Pontiac Aztek.

Old 10-09-2022, 01:29 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Yep, I think the same! So many model Ys and I think, “another egg-shape suv.” But that’s like any other car people buy and we have our individual preferences and likes. Could be the same issue buying that Pontiac Aztek.
Aztek had some cool features to it. The problem was it was, well, look at it. Thing was just ugly. But it wasn't tremendously expensive and it was very much the right size for the American market. At the time the RAV4/CRV were much smaller vehicles than they are today whereas the Aztek was the size and practicality of the RAV4/CRV today. Didn't cost a ton more either. You just had to get over the looks. As a soft-roader probably more capable than most whereas the Model Y or Ioniq 5 are probably among the least. The air compressor all the Rivans are super impressed by because they're easily impressed by things? Aztek called, wants 2000s back.

Old 10-09-2022, 01:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Why worry...
EV owners are the new 'Protected People Group'

Been that way in the US Prius Capital of Portland, OR since NHW11 arrived in 2000.

Gotta treat them very special and with kid gloves, and assure them they made the ONLY RIGHT decision, which of course they did.

Similar to Alma Maters (My school is the best!), location choices (Colorado or Oregon 'me3-too'ers'), and Kindergarten Papa's (my papa is stronger than your papa).

And so it goes in adulthood (?) , My EV is the best and ONLY choice... Ok, carry on

Old 10-09-2022, 02:06 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,738,627 times
Well, part of the problem is that whenever I talk about my ambivalence towards EVs, I always get mislabeled as some anti-EV blowhard. There are plenty of things out there I have no interest in and wouldn’t buy, but which also aren’t some target I feel like I have to talk others out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive