Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 01:06 AM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times

Advertisements

So.....
How is this leading to cleaner air and a healthier environment for us ALL and fighting climate change?

As the West surges toward electric cars, here’s where the unwanted gas guzzlers go?
West Africa!!!
Millions of used cars arrive every year in West Africa from wealthy countries such as Japan, South Korea, European countries and, increasingly, the US. Many of these end up in Benin, one of Africa’s top importers of used vehicles.
We are simply diverting climate and environmental problems to other, poor countries...

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/21/a...ntl/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2023, 01:28 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,220,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
So.....
How is this leading to cleaner air and a healthier environment for us ALL and fighting climate change?

As the West surges toward electric cars, here’s where the unwanted gas guzzlers go?
West Africa!!!
Millions of used cars arrive every year in West Africa from wealthy countries such as Japan, South Korea, European countries and, increasingly, the US. Many of these end up in Benin, one of Africa’s top importers of used vehicles.
We are simply diverting climate and environmental problems to other, poor countries...

I think mostly Central and South America.

Old 05-21-2023, 01:39 AM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times
There probably too. And some poor Asian countries. Where also our electronic junk go.

Old 05-21-2023, 01:47 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,220,128 times
Quote:
There probably too. And some poor Asian countries. Where also our electronic junk go.
I was watching a deal about electric cars last night and they were talking about how they don't like to use them if the car's been in an accident because it's just too much of a liability so in some places they're just stacking up batteries in shipping containers. I doubt countries will want used electric cars. I doubt companies will risk shipping them. Not until our battery technology improves.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:44 AM

10,832 posts, read 4,517,327 times
Quote:
So.....

West Africa!!!

got a line on any good shape sleds? (caprice, electras, catalina, regencies etc?

Old 05-21-2023, 12:06 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Cars have always wound up in other countries when their life was considered over in the US. The positive is that every time someone replaces a car in the US, they wind up with a cleaner one and the used up one is cleaner than their last one.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:29 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
The transfer of older vehicles to poorer countries is pretty common practice and commonly known. This also applies to things like clothing and electronics as well.

About a decade ago I was looking into the vehicle market in parts of East Africa and found that most vehicles were from the 90s. A very prominent proportion of these were Japanese vehicles and within those, a large proportion of them were Japanese brand vehicles that were originally for the Japanese market and were JDM. I think that had to do with a few factors like Japan being by far the most populous left-hand traffic / right hand drive developed country (the countries I was looking into were all left-hand traffic / right hand drive), Japanese vehicle market seeming to particularly value newer vehicles more heavily, the Japanese market seeming to put a lot of emphasis on regular maintenance and cleaning, and these automakers at the time having particularly notable reliability compared to their competitors. With that in mind, this topic got me to look up a bit about how those markets are now, and it seems like it's not mostly 90s vehicle now, but those from about mid 00s to mid 2010s. I don't think it should be a surprise that they moved up the timeline after a decade, but I am surprised that it seems like they're mostly even newer and shifting up the window by about five years from a 20-30 year window to a 15-20 year window. It also seems to be slightly less Japanese badge dominated.

Anyhow, the old gas guzzlers eventually die with some attrition within the developed countries they first go into, and the the rest of it in poorer countries getting them used somewhere. That attrition can come from any number of ways whether traffic incident, arson, heavy corrosion, severe long-term wear on particularly hard to replace parts and just not being worth enough over salvage to fix. There are absolutely fewer 90s era vehicles in the world today than there were a decade ago. There will be absolutely fewer 90s era vehicles in the world a decade from now than there are today. That's going to happen with the gas guzzlers, and fuel economy's certainly going up in East African countries as they're getting more efficient vehicles than they used to. However, it is going to be harder to predict what it'll look like a decade from now as more of those countries likely start earning more per capita and as Chinese automakers especially have been expanding the selling of ultra low cost, often electric, vehicles to these markets. A lot of these countries have a very strong incentive to move their vehicles off of fossil fuels as most of them are not holders of vast reserves of fossil fuel, but do have some pathway to generating a lot of electricity.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Hint.... Poor countries cannot afford to fuel USA gas (ick) guzzlers. Nor will our behemoths fit in their streets.

Incentized fuel conservative would go a long ways (everywhere).

50 mpg since 1976, no dinosaurs or toxic batteries required or desired. Where have you been?, what have you done?

I could easily cut back 30% (and I live very rural). So could you.

Room for improvement.

Old 05-22-2023, 03:20 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,399,512 times
No way Africa could switch to electric vehicles at this time. Their electric grid is too unstable and unreliable.

Same holds true for California, but they're going to force us to make the switch anyway, whether it's realistic or not.

Old 05-22-2023, 05:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
No way Africa could switch to electric vehicles at this time. Their electric grid is too unstable and unreliable.

Same holds true for California, but they're going to force us to make the switch anyway, whether it's realistic or not.
Texas grid is ready for an EV experiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive