Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 07:51 PM

5,973 posts, read 3,715,754 times

Advertisements

Anyone have or use a Battery Jump Starter for their car or light truck?

Opinions/Experiences?

Worth the cost?

Aren't jumper cables just as good... as well as being cheaper and requiring no maintenance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 08:13 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,547,458 times
I have a Tacklife T8. It works great. You can jump your battery, plug in your phone, use it as a flash lite or emergency roadside flasher. I used it to jump a lawn tractor battery a couple nights ago. It’s convenient and holds a charge for a long time. Great to have stored in the car/truck.

Old 05-16-2023, 08:57 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
Have had one that I keep in the back by the rear 12v outlet for years. But so far I've only used it during a power outage to charge up phones, provide some light, etc.

Biggest reason for them is all the electronics in modern cars. There's quite a lot of expensive equipment at risk for both the jumpee and the jumper.

Old 05-17-2023, 04:32 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
I had one before, but never used it. You have to keep it charged up once in a while. I forgot and when I needed it, it didn’t work. If you commit to taking care of it, it would be nice to have.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Jumper cables are great if you have another vehicle close by and the owner is willing to help out. I have a power pack that also has a tire inflator, and several USB charging ports. I have only used it a couple of times for starting cars, but I use it often, whenever I start the riding mower. It's not running long enough to keep the battery charged, so when it stopped holding a charge I didn't replace it. I just hook it up to the power pack to start it. We have also used it to charge phones and iPads in a power outage. Whenever I use it I then put it on the charger, so it's always ready to go.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:29 AM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Automotive jump-starters are getting so small, cheap and reliable....probably one of the tools
it makes most sense to carry in your vehicle.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:45 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,660,480 times
I don't particularly want to have yet another battery to keep charged up.

I carry a set of cables in every vehicle, have done since I started driving in 1977. If I had a good uncluttered place to leave battery devices charging, and without any concerns about fire, I might rethink this. At present I don't have a good place to leave such a device plugged in and maintaining charge.

Of course, I do realize that probably anyone under 40 will freak out if approached in a parking lot by an old guy with jumper cables. So many people have been brainwashed into learned helplessness that I would probably get a lot of refusals. So maybe I SHOULD rethink this.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:52 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I had one before, but never used it. You have to keep it charged up once in a while. I forgot and when I needed it, it didn’t work. If you commit to taking care of it, it would be nice to have.
This is my biggest concern. The fact that it holds a charge a "long time" is problematic as it's too long to remember the last time it was charged. But they are small enough that I can keep both in the truck.

Old 05-17-2023, 08:06 AM

6,357 posts, read 4,177,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I don't particularly want to have yet another battery to keep charged up.

I carry a set of cables in every vehicle, have done since I started driving in 1977. If I had a good uncluttered place to leave battery devices charging, and without any concerns about fire, I might rethink this. At present I don't have a good place to leave such a device plugged in and maintaining charge.

Of course, I do realize that probably anyone under 40 will freak out if approached in a parking lot by an old guy with jumper cables. So many people have been brainwashed into learned helplessness that I would probably get a lot of refusals. So maybe I SHOULD rethink this.
A small pocketed sized is way more practical than having cables and it doesn’t need to be recharged very often at all. I recharge mine every 4 months or so and it takes all of 15 minutes to top it off.

It’s also great for changing a cell phone or tablet if you get caught somewhere without a power source, as others have mentioned.

Last edited by Rickcin; 03-07-2024 at 08:20 PM..

Old 05-17-2023, 08:28 AM

11,340 posts, read 16,695,644 times
I have a jumper and the charge lasts over 6 months and once charged can jump a battery over 10 times without needing another charge.

With jumper cables unless you have another car or battery near by you're screwed.

Plus it has a port for cell phone charging and a flashlight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive