Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 03:42 PM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
So that is about 2% of annual income - if we extend this to others that would be like a $2000 fine for someone making $100K - very high for a minor speeding incident. Also a guy making that much is not getting biweekly paychecks.
It was the third offensive and it was about 20 mph over. Repeat offense and the degree of it also factor into it. It'll escalate if he does it again.

Note that Finland and other Nordic countries do tend to have compared to the rest of the world including other developed countries and the United States low traffic mortality rates per capita: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate with the rate about 3 to 5 times higher for the US. Note that this is just death, not injuries such as grievous injury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2023, 04:03 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Per the article "As is common in the Nordic region, fines for traffic infringements in Finland are based on the severity of the offence and the offender’s income, which police can check instantly by connecting via their smartphones to a central taxpayer database."
So any police officer can check a taxpayer database from their phone and know your income? Well there's one reason this could never fly in the US.

Btw, someone said it was about "disposable income" which is far different than gross income. I don't see how any taxpayer database would know your expenses.

Old 06-08-2023, 04:26 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
So any police officer can check a taxpayer database from their phone and know your income? Well there's one reason this could never fly in the US.

Btw, someone said it was about "disposable income" which is far different than gross income. I don't see how any taxpayer database would know your expenses.
So for what it's worth, I am not advocating for this here, but some people are making comments like they didn't read or understand the article - maybe just kneejerk responding to the title, and I am trying to clarify some basic points.

Old 06-08-2023, 06:06 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
A multimillionaire businessman has been hit with one of the world’s highest speeding fines – €121,000 (~$129,300) – for driving 30km/h (18.6mph) over the limit in Finland, where tickets are calculated as a percentage of the offender’s income.

Switzerland, which operates a similar income-based system, is believed to have imposed the highest ever traffic fine: Sfr3,600 a day for 300 days, or about €1.1m ($1,777,000) for a Swedish motorist caught driving at 290km/h between Berne and Lausanne.

What do you think of traffic fines calculated as a % of income?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-speeding-fine

That's an unfair method. Speeding is speeding, regardless of your financial worth. His fine should have been the same as anyone else. One could argue that a normal fine is not penal to a rich person, but the small fine doesn't stop people with lower incomes from speeding either.

Old 06-08-2023, 08:27 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
How to you fine the millions who live on government welfare and/or work illegally (no declared income, they don't even have a SSN)? And in many cases no driving license nor insurance?
What the frig are you talking about, how is that relevant to the discussion of a traffic fine. There are laws about those crimes - enforce the laws - that was my point - I am not Ok with these actions. I wish these retarded Soros DAs would go away.

Better yet, lets keep this to the topic instead of bringing up irrelevant stuff as "how about's".

Old 06-08-2023, 09:23 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
What the frig are you talking about, how is that relevant to the discussion of a traffic fine. There are laws about those crimes - enforce the laws - that was my point - I am not Ok with these actions. I wish these retarded Soros DAs would go away.

Better yet, lets keep this to the topic instead of bringing up irrelevant stuff as "how about's".

this idea of increasing the fees for the "rich" it is part of equity = we have different capabilities but must finish the same (which is equal in being poor and no freedom).

Old 06-08-2023, 09:26 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
We need to come up with something better than a quota of drawings of offending drivers to meet a public revenue goal.

There's no quota? If a traffic cop goes weeks without writing a ticket, I bet they'll damn quick think of a synonym for"quota", and warn the cop that the quota is non-zero.

Just randomly send licensed drivers tickets until the revenue goal is met. Why waste all that money on uniforms and patrol cars? Everybody speeds at times.

Old 06-08-2023, 10:53 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It was the third offensive and it was about 20 mph over. Repeat offense and the degree of it also factor into it. It'll escalate if he does it again.

Note that Finland and other Nordic countries do tend to have compared to the rest of the world including other developed countries and the United States low traffic mortality rates per capita: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate with the rate about 3 to 5 times higher for the US. Note that this is just death, not injuries such as grievous injury.
Have you never gone 73 in a 55? It is way too much for a traffic ticket. Also, a fine like this is illegal in the US under the 8th amendment.

Old 06-09-2023, 01:27 AM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Have you never gone 73 in a 55? It is way too much for a traffic ticket. Also, a fine like this is illegal in the US under the 8th amendment.

Not when it's actually an enforced speed limit and certainly not as a third offense after knowing such. I recognize that traffic law enforcement varies quite a bit from place to place. My preference is actually that laws are enforced, but then adjusted if and when they don't make sense so you don't end up with speed limits that make no sense and no one follows. I do find speed limits in the US to be sometimes ridiculous due to poor or oddly selective enforcement, and how the US does things is not necessarily how other places do things nor is it necessarily better. What is evident though is that the US does have a traffic mortality rate several times that of Nordic and many other Western European countries (and likely similar and at a greater magnitude for injuries rather than mortality specifically), and it's reasonable to argue that is a bad thing for the US.

Old 06-09-2023, 05:01 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Never send post #40. The page rolls over and no-one will see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive