Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:20 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That's one point people disregard, although I pointed it out on another thread - truck drivers are going to take 3 days crossing the country instead of 2. All this gets trickled down to the consumer. You may save on fuel costs but your labor costs go up. You pay for a crew of, usually 2 drivers, along with costs, to be on the road for an additional day for each load. Truck drivers are professionally licensed and not badly paid. The costs will likely exceed the benifits.

Not only truck drivers - but all interstate highway travel by everyone. The businessman traveling to a meeting, the empolyee traveling to another facility. Time is money, so is fuel, but I would venture to guess at this point still time is more valuable then fuel.
I totally agree, by lowering the speed to 55 from 65 on an annual 12000 mile basis you have increased the time factor by nearly 19% or 218 hours vs 184 hours. I am not sure what these truck drivers are making but the cost would at minimum go up by 19% and that does not count potential overtime etc. Without an elaborate profit maximization calculation and cost benefit analysis, I am just speculating but I am quite certain that this would be a very BAD idea for our society as it would completely stifle it and cause a rapid contraction, with tax revenue levels far lower than what our nation needs.

I for one would suggest that those who choose to save a buck here or there do so but do not assume that because it works great for you in the short term there are not long term consequenses that would eat away all of your perceived savings and then some if this was done on a national basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 09:30 AM

251 posts, read 880,310 times
Nope, will never happen the last thing we need is the government sticking there nose in more of our buisness.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:24 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Most drivers are paid by the mile, not by the hour. So if it takes a little longer, it's going to hurt the drivers wallet, but not yours.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:48 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Most drivers are paid by the mile, not by the hour. So if it takes a little longer, it's going to hurt the drivers wallet, but not yours.
Well obviously, then the pay per mile charge will change. Or other charges will be added.

That's like saying fuel increases only hurt the truckdrivers wallet. It does, but only to a certain extent. Then you see "fuel surcharges" on these carrier invoices that will trickle down to the consumer.

Everything trickles down.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Well obviously, then the pay per mile charge will change. Or other charges will be added.

That's like saying fuel increases only hurt the truckdrivers wallet. It does, but only to a certain extent. Then you see "fuel surcharges" on these carrier invoices that will trickle down to the consumer.

Everything trickles down.
Of course it will trickle down. Unfortunately, when I drove over the road, I had some steady runs that I contracted and set up 1 year contracts. But back then, fuel prices were steady. But I couldn't renegotiate until the year was up.

Drivers today, because of the flucuation of prices, don't hook themselves into that kind of situation. They go through brokers and the brokers negotiate each load.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:13 PM

I am getting hit with 10-15% and as high as 25% fuel surcharges on the merchandise I am receiving already and it will be getting worse. And I will be raising my prices and my delivery fee will be adjusted up shortly.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Too; many OTR drivers are dropping their speeds down on their own volition.....it apparently costs them less to drive 55-60 MPH vs. 75+ MPH due to the $$$ for Diesel despite buying additional meals, etc.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:20 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Too; many OTR drivers are dropping their speeds down on their own volition.....it apparently costs them less to drive 55-60 MPH vs. 75+ MPH due to the $$$ for Diesel despite buying additional meals, etc.
And then ya have massive clusters of multiple OTR trucks with some in the passing lane jusssssssst barely going faster than those in the slow lane... grrrrrrrr...

Old 06-09-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Your logic is wrong in your statement as they (OTR drivers) may be paid by the mile and not hour, but in the same amount of time fewer miles will have been traveled, thus their pay would be less.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
Your logic is wrong in your statement as they (OTR drivers) may be paid by the mile and not hour, but in the same amount of time fewer miles will have been traveled, thus their pay would be less.
Isn't that what I said? Takes longer and is going to hurt them in their wallet? What did you miss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive