Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 12:44 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,174,134 times

Advertisements

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...rd-2023-07-26/

Quote:
AMSTERDAM, July 26 (Reuters) - One person died and several others were hurt when a fire broke out on a cargo ship carrying cars off the northern tip of Netherlands, forcing several crew members to jump overboard, the Dutch coastguard said on Wednesday.
The Panama-registered Fremantle Highway was transporting 2,857 cars from Germany to Egypt, 25 of them electric.
An electric car was the suspected source of the blaze, a coastguard spokesperson said, adding that the ship was still burning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmfHC6ZeeNg

I think insurance companies will have to raise rates for freight on EV's since fires cannot be controlled.

There is no way I would keep an EV in my garage at home.

Last edited by 28173; 07-27-2023 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2023, 03:11 PM

19,068 posts, read 13,999,119 times
Since statistics matter more than emotions, I park my 60-times-more-likely-to-combust gas car outside while the Tesla is nestled inside conveniently charging.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-27-2023, 07:54 PM

87 posts, read 44,456 times
I avoid parking near EVs due to the fire risk. I'm guessing shippers will charge more to ship EVs. Solid state batteries could potentially decrease the fire risk, but they are likely a decade off.

Old 07-27-2023, 08:23 PM

37,235 posts, read 39,509,972 times
https://electrek.co/2023/07/26/surpr...rgo-ship-fire/

The Dutch coast guard didn't actually say that.

OP, are you big on ship fires caused by vehicles aboard? Did you post about this one closer to home in the US: https://abc7ny.com/newark-nj-firefig...lled/13472286/ American firefighters died and injured. Where was your post on this?

Old 07-28-2023, 12:14 AM

12,534 posts, read 9,625,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoiLavoi View Post
I avoid parking near EVs due to the fire risk. I'm guessing shippers will charge more to ship EVs. Solid state batteries could potentially decrease the fire risk, but they are likely a decade off.
Lithium-iron-phosphate batteries, also written as LiFePO4 or LFP, greatly decrease the risk of thermal runaway, and they are in use today in EVs made by Tesla and BYD, and Ford is in the process of sourcing them from CATL in the short term, and will be building their own LiFePO4 battery plant in Michigan through a joint venture set up with CATL.
https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...ry-chemis.html

I think Rivian and Volkswagen are also moving to include LiFePO4 battery chemistry as an option, and GM is talking about possibly appointing a committee to study doing something in the future for their Ultium EVs [sarcasm off] .
https://cen.acs.org/energy/energy-st...America/101/i4

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 07-28-2023 at 12:37 AM..

Old 07-28-2023, 08:00 AM

10,919 posts, read 4,586,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
https://electrek.co/2023/07/26/surpr...rgo-ship-fire/

The Dutch coast guard didn't actually say that.

OP, are you big on ship fires caused by vehicles aboard? Did you post about this one closer to home in the US: https://abc7ny.com/newark-nj-firefig...lled/13472286/ American firefighters died and injured. Where was your post on this?

In the other thread on this the electrek link was thoroughly debunked.

The adult sources do SUSPECT the EV was the cause based on surviving crew statements, but no one will now ever know since the entire cargo deck(s) is/are compromised, and when the EVs became involved that is when the distress call went out.

Quote:
The Dutch coast guard said Thursday that the cause of the fire was unclear and that only about 25 of the vehicles on the ship were EVs, but in the audio of an emergency call released by Dutch broadcaster RTL, someone can be heard saying "the fire started in the battery of an electric car."

the concentrated energy release is what doomed the ship and the effort now is not saving anything but rather getting the ship away from sensitive areas so they can offload the nearly full fuel bunkerage, mebbe even ground it for ship breakers. It will not make port. It WILL sink. The european/international maritime were instituting controls and regs on battery transport this year from the last instance, this might move the time table and severity up a few notches.

The US and our childlike responses made us stand alone in the world on this. We need to correct that.

Old 07-28-2023, 02:19 PM

13,717 posts, read 12,466,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Since statistics matter more than emotions, I park my 60-times-more-likely-to-combust gas car outside while the Tesla is nestled inside conveniently charging.
Yeah, I don't get it.

Teslas (and other EV's) have been around long enough and in enough volume that the insurers no doubt have an idea if they're paying statistically significantly more fire claims on homes of EV owners.

Old 07-28-2023, 02:38 PM

19,068 posts, read 13,999,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Yeah, I don't get it.

Teslas (and other EV's) have been around long enough and in enough volume that the insurers no doubt have an idea if they're paying statistically significantly more fire claims on homes of EV owners.
Thankfully insurers do not operate the same way politically hardened closed minds do!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-28-2023, 03:20 PM

5,464 posts, read 6,074,934 times
I don't think anyone would argue that ICE vehicles are anywhere from 10 to 60 times more likely to catch fire compared to EVs. The discussion should center around the severity of the fire once it begins.
We need better education/equipment to put out EV fires when they begin, even if it is a rare occurrence.

EVs are here to stay and a fast growing segment of the vehicle population.

A related thought:

Today, my wife and I were on our usual 4-6 miles walk in WNC. We usually stop about 3/4th of the way through the walk to take a break on a bench that overlooks a main road in our town. Many years ago we would have been sitting on a similar bench and noticing an occasional new type of vehicle pass us...... a Sport Utility Vehicle. (you could also add a crew cab pickup truck occasionally, work vehicle for the multitude of constructions crews on the mountain.)
Today we decided to sit there until a sedan came by. We were there 15 minutes. SUVs and 4-door family pickups by the dozen, a few Jeeps, but NO sedans for 15 minutes.
A decade or two from now, I can imagine sitting on that bench and waiting for something other than an EV to come rolling by. Wonder if we will wait 15 minutes to see an ICE vehicle.
Times change, progress waits for no man!

FYI: In 20 years, I'd be in my late 90s.. Will someone come stamp twice loudly on my grave if it was longer than 15 minutes...... once loudly if it was less than 15 minutes.

Old 07-28-2023, 03:24 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,317,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Lithium-iron-phosphate batteries, also written as LiFePO4 or LFP, greatly decrease the risk of thermal runaway, and they are in use today in EVs made by Tesla and BYD, and Ford is in the process of sourcing them from CATL in the short term, and will be building their own LiFePO4 battery plant in Michigan through a joint venture set up with CATL.
https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...ry-chemis.html

I think Rivian and Volkswagen are also moving to include LiFePO4 battery chemistry as an option, and GM is talking about possibly appointing a committee to study doing something in the future for their Ultium EVs [sarcasm off] .
https://cen.acs.org/energy/energy-st...America/101/i4

I watched a youtube about BYD vehicles the other day and.. I haven't had time to look into it.. And I need to look into it before stating it as any kind of fact. Because.. The channel seemed pretty sketchy. It seemed to be one of those Anti-China channels.. So.. Certainly not going to believe the claims from it without some research.

But.. They were "oh, BYD vehicles are burning all over the place". And.. You know.. I would have totally discounted it.. If it weren't for the fact that Chinese manufacturing, it wouldn't surprise me if there were lax standards in it. Remember, these are the a-holes that were sending out toys with lead paint. So.. It had JUST enough there to make me want to look into.. Of course, THEN I'm not FULLY confident that I would find legitimate info being that BYD is a chinese state car company.

Truth is probably somewhere in the middle. But, I will say that the good part i've seen.. No one particularly seems to be using Chinese manufactured batteries in EVs. I know there's multiple plants being built here in the US. But.. That's the only thing that I question at all.. Is the BYD part. Whether we'd actually get accurate numbers from them of issues. I wouldn't doubt reports from Tesla, Ford, GM, BMW, Toyota or anyone like that. But.. BYD? Not as confident.

The video was recent, but the fires they were showing could have had context missing, or could have been older cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Yeah, I don't get it.

Considering that even gas vehicles can catch fire, though they generally do not burn anywhere near the intensity that an EV can.. I'd bet the numbers aren't significantly higher with EVs. Of course, when you have probably 50 times more gas than EV, if they're the same, that's not exactly a good sign.

Ford had the ignition switch problem a few years back.. and. I've certainly seen more gas vehicles burned out on the side of the road vs electric, since I've seen zero EVs burned out on the side of the road.. Of course.. I see FAR more gas vehicles than EVs in this part of the country.

I've always wondered how a gas vehicle catches on fire. That's gotta be a pretty severe lack of maintenance to the point something could get that bad.. But.. I also suppose, with the new high pressure fuel pumps.. That probably also gives a bit more of a chance that it could happen. At least the ones that just burst into flames driving down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive