Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:11 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,253,886 times

Advertisements

Does the A/C in a car have a general belt, or is this a compressor belt, or does it depend on the vehicle.. or something else entirely?

My van (1994 Toyota Previa) made a squealing noise for a while when the a/c was on and I was sitting still. When I drove it would go away. Today it made squealing of a different sort regardless of if I was moving or not, then made an awful squawk, heard a thump (the tell-tale sound of a belt flying/hitting the pavement) and instantly the a/c was blowing warm air.

I haven't had it checked yet as it just happened but I'm wondering if this is a big deal and even more so if it is a DIY kind of thing. I've replaced this or that in the past (but not on this van.. I just bought it in March).

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 07:28 PM

10,923 posts, read 21,868,138 times
Most newer vehicles use a single serpentine belt to drive all accessories, not sure about your Toyota but I'd get a look ASAP.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:33 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
If you are still driving the car and it's not overheating, that makes me think you have individual V-belts. Our Subaru has 2 flat belts, though, one runs the A/C and one the alternator and PS. I think.

If you don't want to spring for at least a Chilton or similar manual, look in one at a parts store, and/or the parts store may have knowledgable enough people that they can say what's needed to do the belt R&R.

Most V-belt or serpentine belt installs are within the ability of a decent DIY guy, but some serpentine belt installations on some mini-vans are fairly challenging.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If you are still driving the car and it's not overheating, that makes me think you have individual V-belts. Our Subaru has 2 flat belts, though, one runs the A/C and one the alternator and PS. I think.

If you don't want to spring for at least a Chilton or similar manual, look in one at a parts store, and/or the parts store may have knowledgable enough people that they can say what's needed to do the belt R&R.

Most V-belt or serpentine belt installs are within the ability of a decent DIY guy, but some serpentine belt installations on some mini-vans are fairly challenging.

Thanks.

It happened on the way taking my partner to work. I drove the rest of the way to drop off partner (another 5 miles) then 10 miles back home in stop and go traffic with lots of lights and such. It didn't overheat or act weird in any way, just hotter than heck with no a/c.

I'll get a Chilton. If it's not affecting anything but the a/c it will wait 'cuz as usual I'm near broke. I only drive it the 20 miles each day so we'll see. At least I have road service if it turns out it IS affecting something else!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:33 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,629,112 times
Autozone website,
AutoZone.com - Get in the Zone!
shows 2 belts. One for the A/C the other for alt, PS, water pump. The good news is you can continue to drive. Bad news, weather is going to get hotter and you don't have A/C.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,139,721 times
If the car only has one serpentine belt and it breaks, you lose everything. Water pump, altenator, etc.
If it only squeals with the A/C turned on you can either leave it turned off or disconnect the wires at the compressor so the A/C clutch can't engage to turn the compressor. The clutch will cycle in and out automatically with just the defroster turned on also. It is designed that way to remove moisture to help make the defroster more affective. The clutch pulley turns all the time. The compressor only turns when the clutch is engaged and usualy that is when you get the squeal if something is wrong.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
If the car only has one serpentine belt and it breaks, you lose everything. Water pump, altenator, etc.
If it only squeals with the A/C turned on you can either leave it turned off or disconnect the wires at the compressor so the A/C clutch can't engage to turn the compressor. The clutch will cycle in and out automatically with just the defroster turned on also. It is designed that way to remove moisture to help make the defroster more affective. The clutch pulley turns all the time. The compressor only turns when the clutch is engaged and usualy that is when you get the squeal if something is wrong.
Okay, it was squealing before only when the AC was on and only when I was sitting at a stoplight or otherwise idle. Very high pitched, annoying. It would subside if I revved the engine (then would come back) or when I was actually driving.

Then today it started squealing (differently, quieter but more rhythmic if that makes sense?) regardless of if I was idling or driving but again only with the AC on. Shortly after the change I heard the belt fly.

I drove it another 15 miles or so and then drove it again this evening. If it was a serpentine belt wouldn't I have had some other problem by now (such as overheating, power failure, etc)? The car drives fine and sounds normal, just no cold air from the a/c anymore.

If it makes any difference the van is a standard transmission.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:04 AM

681 posts, read 2,870,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Okay, it was squealing before only when the AC was on and only when I was sitting at a stoplight or otherwise idle. Very high pitched, annoying. It would subside if I revved the engine (then would come back) or when I was actually driving.
The clutch pulley on the A/C compressor may have had a lot of resistance. The bearings could've been going bad... or maybe the compressor itself was bad. I had a compressor belt snap in my 1972 Cadillac when the clutch pulley seized up... but that car had multiple V-belts so all I lost was the power steering.

Quote:
Then today it started squealing (differently, quieter but more rhythmic if that makes sense?) regardless of if I was idling or driving but again only with the AC on. Shortly after the change I heard the belt fly.
Either the compressor was on its way out, or the belt was loose. When you hear a belt squealing, you should test it to see if it's loose. Press on it, somewhere between two of the pulleys it services. If you can push it down EASILY by more than a quarter inch or so, and decent pressure will push it down by about a half inch, it needs to be tightened. Loose belts will not turn their accessories well, and instead they'll slip and cause the friction which makes the squealing sound. If that happens for too long, the belt will overheat, melt in one place, and snap.

Quote:
I drove it another 15 miles or so and then drove it again this evening. If it was a serpentine belt wouldn't I have had some other problem by now (such as overheating, power failure, etc)? The car drives fine and sounds normal, just no cold air from the a/c anymore.
Apparently you didn't have a serpentine belt. Thank the Lord for that.

Quote:
If it makes any difference the van is a standard transmission.
It doesn't. This is an engine thing.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:56 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,807,685 times
Judging from your question, I have to guess you have absolutely so automotive experience at all. I therefor say, take it to a mechanic and get it fixed properly. I will guarantee that will save you money in the long run. I made my living for years fixing cars that were towed in after a DIYer tried to save a few bucks..!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Judging from your question, I have to guess you have absolutely so automotive experience at all. I therefor say, take it to a mechanic and get it fixed properly. I will guarantee that will save you money in the long run. I made my living for years fixing cars that were towed in after a DIYer tried to save a few bucks..!
Well you are right almost. I've changed my own oil and plugs and that's about it. My SO has done a little more than me but not this and not on this van (the engin is weirdly positioned)..

so yeah we will take it to our shop... but since it's obviously not affecting anything else and wasn't a serpentine belt, there should be no reason to fix it ASAP right? I mean, it sucks not having A/C but it won't hurt anything to let it be for now, will it? Hope not because we're in a tight $ situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive