Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:05 PM

190 posts, read 647,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
And who is buying the Hummer line? I can't see too many companies jumping at the prospect of buying a line of behemoth gas guzzling vanity vehicles at a time when gas is going through the roof.
well, i guess if someone can afford a 55,000 or 90k H1 then paying for gas isn't a big deal... and GM must be profiting big on these trucks. idk how much, but they are built on the same platform that a few of there other trucks are built on, so that has to save BIG$$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 01:38 PM

692 posts, read 3,132,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewu9900 View Post
well, i guess if someone can afford a 55,000 or 90k H1 then paying for gas isn't a big deal... and GM must be profiting big on these trucks. idk how much, but they are built on the same platform that a few of there other trucks are built on, so that has to save BIG$$$
Gas isn't a big deal for some .........Unless we have another real shortage.
This crisis isn't about gas lines...It's about price.

When we get to the "Shortage Phase" it will be about "Availability and Price".

Then do you want to own a HUMMER??

The day could come when you better own a Military Version if you want to be safe driving it. You'll get stoned by the "have nots"

As usual....The markets will dictate what vehicles are going to be produced.

As I listened to the GM news release, it sounded like they are somewhat panicked and shocked as to how fast this has turned on them.

GM better start betting on the right horse.....and SOON.

Silverfox

Last edited by silverfox; 06-05-2008 at 02:07 PM..

Old 06-05-2008, 02:05 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
I can remember when hardly any foreign comapny made SUV but they jumped on the bandwagon when they became popular. It is just the price to operate that has changed things not chopice. In my opinion they very well maybe looked back on with envy like the muscle cars are now as the good old days. Not many exiting things to say about the economy cars in my opinion. Should increase motorcyle sells as people still look to own something powerful and to get excited about.But then many will be able to afford them and many will not even be able to afford two economy cars.Cheap gas made alot of things possible.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:30 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,671,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewu9900 View Post
Yep. It is not like they sold 1000's of the Hummers every month. They were a unique and niche market and a place where GM made some money to help keep the rest of the lines going. It DOES take those BIG $$$$ ticket items to be made and sold by companies to offset the loses and higher costs of doing business for the lower priced items in many cases. GM has not said anything firm yet concerning the Hummer line. What they did say is they are fully investigating it and seeing what the better option for GM is be it revamping them or selling the line. Someone will buy it no doubt.

Two of the 4 plants being closed are not even in the United States. One in Canada and the other in Mexico.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:50 PM

692 posts, read 3,132,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yep. It is not like they sold 1000's of the Hummers every month. They were a unique and niche market and a place where GM made some money to help keep the rest of the lines going. It DOES take those BIG $$$$ ticket items to be made and sold by companies to offset the loses and higher costs of doing business for the lower priced items in many cases. GM has not said anything firm yet concerning the Hummer line. What they did say is they are fully investigating it and seeing what the better option for GM is be it revamping them or selling the line. Someone will buy it no doubt.

Two of the 4 plants being closed are not even in the United States. One in Canada and the other in Mexico.

I don't know why some don't think of this as a BIG DEAL in the Big Picture.

Here is a excerpt from the article on MSN yesterday,

Big shifts by other automakers. GM is a wounded giant, but it's still the biggest automaker in the United States, with the heft to change the market. All the automakers are curtailing their big-car lineups and focusing on smaller crossovers and sedans. But now they may have to accelerate their own shifting plans.

The plants GM is closing produce 700,000 vehicles, about ..."40% of the company's output".
GM will offset some of the lost production by ramping up output of smaller cars, which will significantly change the kinds of vehicles available to buyers. Like GM, Ford and Chrysler have been overly reliant upon large vehicles that are now stacking up on dealer lots. Since GM is their top competitor, they'll have to keep pace.

Silverfox

Old 06-05-2008, 02:56 PM

250 posts, read 333,310 times
You can thank Bill Clinton, George Bush Sr. and the elite rich for NAFTA and GATT. Oh, and don't forget Carla Hills, that black lady who sold NAFTA to the DC lawmakers by yelling "jobs, jobs, jobs!" She forgot to add "exported" to each.

The price of fuel is behind this as well. I have already cut my fuel usage in half this year. I take the bus to the city now.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:37 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,887,189 times
I know they are ramping up production of the Cobalt in Lordstown and adding a 3rd shift. GM also announced that Lordstown will get a new small car (based on the aveo i think).

Old 06-05-2008, 04:04 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,853,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
GM closing 4 factories; may discontinue Hummer -- Automotive Equipment, General Motors Corp., Delaware -- Newsday.com (broken link)
While it's bad for the factory workers involved, it's a good business decision overall for GM. Big gas guzzling vehicles are going to be a "hard sell" item in the years ahead, so why bother to continue making them...

Bud

Old 06-05-2008, 06:34 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,653,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If you cannot sell the things you should not build them. These vehicles are the emblem of our last few years borrow and spend extravagance. RIP
The market is doing what the government should have done with the monster SUVs. maybe $5 gas won't be a bad thing after all!

Old 06-05-2008, 06:35 PM

563 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I know they are ramping up production of the Cobalt in Lordstown and adding a 3rd shift. GM also announced that Lordstown will get a new small car (based on the aveo i think).
They are going to need to do a lot better than this if they expect people to trade down and remain loyal. The aveo IMO is a junkbox so anything based off that Korean design will also be junk. The Cobalt is no better. That thing is put together with spit and bubble gum. While GM has made some strides in their cars, IMO, most still lack an excitement factor, as do most cars for that matter. I am not talking about performance cars and stuff, I am talking about the run of the mill everyday regular "cars" that mainstream society will consider buying. And by mainstream, I am considering practicality and every day use. But aside from excitement, or even tradition in great american manufacturing, the cheapness of the cars is something that continues to turn me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive