Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

High fuel prices, boycott fuel sales, oil companies motives, stop using plastic products, cut driving, fuel consumption reduction, low level of intelligence of American people, energy crisis

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
If boycotts dont ever work maybe we need to tell CUBA that they have been complaining for nothing the past 45 years. lol
they are only pissed because the US boycotts them, and that is only because castro nationalized all industry there effectively stealing the means of production from all the companies that were there before castro came to power. had castro let the businesses remain in private hands, their economy would be quite different, and it wouldnt be a hassle for americans to do business in cuba.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
First problem is that we have no Exon or Mobil stations anywhere around here. We have only Chevron, Shell and 76. More often than not we get gassed up at Sam's, Safeway, or Costco, or the 7-11 that's still at $3.69 today. The other problem is that they all buy from the same refineries anyway, and simply have their own additive formula put into the tanker truck before delivery. The only thing this would do is put some of the Exon and Mobil independent station owners out of business, and the prices would rise with less competition.

The big oil companies will get their profits one way or another, cut down on their sales and they raise the price. I heard this morning gas sales are down 20% from last year, yet the prices are much higher.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:01 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
It would take the entire earth to do this since the world no longer revolves around us. The demand would be the same in China, India, Brazil, Russia etc etc...

Old 04-13-2011, 11:10 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
First I need to clear up someone's misconception about oil companies. They pay their oil field workers very well. Secondly, while American companies are banned from drilling off the coast of Florida, Chba allows China to drill off their coast to access the oil our government won't let our companies touch. Great job!

Old 04-14-2011, 04:57 AM

749 posts, read 2,438,961 times
Two things- I've always heard the gas companies don't like guys like me, I go in and buy the least amount I need, little $3.50- $6.00 clips at a time. Most of the time I pull in and see the amount from the previous pumper $58 or $65, (probably had a big SUV). Why fill up if your unless your going cross country?

Second staying away from the pump, i.e. gas out is not effective if your still going to go to stores and spend a bunch of money. Virtually everything in your house came to you via 18 wheeler. Most have twin 150 gallon tanks and it can cost $900-$1200 to fill up one of those. Even company 18 wheeler drivers will buy little clips at a time, they get shower credits and other perks for just purchasing a minimum amount of, say perhaps 50 gallons.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:05 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Actually, it's good to fill up to the pump handle click and run down to no lower than 1/4 tank. Last thing you want is water from condensation and ethanol.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Two things- I've always heard the gas companies don't like guys like me, I go in and buy the least amount I need, little $3.50- $6.00 clips at a time. Most of the time I pull in and see the amount from the previous pumper $58 or $65, (probably had a big SUV). Why fill up if your unless your going cross country?

Second staying away from the pump, i.e. gas out is not effective if your still going to go to stores and spend a bunch of money. Virtually everything in your house came to you via 18 wheeler. Most have twin 150 gallon tanks and it can cost $900-$1200 to fill up one of those. Even company 18 wheeler drivers will buy little clips at a time, they get shower credits and other perks for just purchasing a minimum amount of, say perhaps 50 gallons.
How does it benefit you by putting in $4 at a time? You must like to have to stop for gas daily. That is the last thing I would do. I fill up everytime and wish my tank was bigger so I could stop less.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Good ;there will be more for the rest of us.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:53 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
How does it benefit you by putting in $4 at a time? You must like to have to stop for gas daily.
If everyone pumped $4/time a few times a week, then the numerous transactions might cost the oil companies more money than if the same people pumped a full tank. However as the saying goes, time is money - so I see this "strategy" as a big waste of time. I'd rather watch the market and learn which day of the week and which neighborhood stations are cheapest. In my neck of the woods, the cheapest time to go is Monday evening. Tuesday morning is typically most expensive and as the week wears on, the price gradually begins dropping.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:04 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
If everyone pumped $4/time a few times a week, then the numerous transactions might cost the oil companies more money than if the same people pumped a full tank. However as the saying goes, time is money - so I see this "strategy" as a big waste of time. I'd rather watch the market and learn which day of the week and which neighborhood stations are cheapest. In my neck of the woods, the cheapest time to go is Monday evening. Tuesday morning is typically most expensive and as the week wears on, the price gradually begins dropping.
If the costs go up for the oil companies, what do you think would happen to the consumer price?? "Sticking it to 'em" and wasting my time stopping to fill all the time, sounds like two rediculous ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive