Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 11:41 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times

Advertisements

Check out the Alfa Romeo Giulia. It's receiving great reviews and priced comparably to the other options, yet unique and not a knock-off design. https://www.alfaromeousa.com/cars/giulia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2024, 12:49 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
All the cars you mention are ”status symbol” cars. Just be advised that you're paying, and paying a LOT, for that status symbol experience.
No, that's not what you're paying for. And if you actually drove one for a while, you'd understand that.

Quote:
The actual function of carrying your butt around reliably and safely is done just as well with a Honda or Toyota in the lowest trim level and least expensive engine option. So keep that in mind.
That's true if you consider a car to be nothing more than an appliance whose sole purpose is to transport you from point a to point b as efficiently and cheaply as possible. But some of us actually enjoy the driving experience. In fact, I'll sometimes get in my car and just go where the road(s) and my mood takes me with no particular destination in mind.

I'm happy for you that you can trace the foundation of your financial status to driving and fixing cars with the lowest trim level and least expensive engine option. I've done okay myself even though I've spent a great deal of money while driving various Maseratis, Jags, Mercs, etc. As an aside, my absolute favorite car was a Mazda RX-7 GSL I purchased new in 1982. At the time, it cost me about $14,500 iirc, and represented about 80%-90% of my salary back then. So, in that respect, it was probably the most expensive car that I ever bought. It was also the most fun I've ever had driving and I wouldn't want to have given up even a day of that in order to save money by driving an econobox. But to each his own.

Old 03-15-2024, 01:34 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

That's true if you consider a car to be nothing more than an appliance whose sole purpose is to transport you from point a to point b as efficiently and cheaply as possible. But some of us actually enjoy the driving experience. In fact, I'll sometimes get in my car and just go where the road(s) and my mood takes me with no particular destination in mind. ....
The point is that there is no "need" nor is it necessarily "time for a new car" when you "get bored" with one. Obviously everyone has their own priorities. I readily recognize that the short term experience of driving an expensive car CAN be more enjoyable (though not necessarily). For me, the added initial cost, higher cost of maintenance, and increased reliabilty risk are not worth it.

I was just pointing out that each of us has the opportunity to revisit our spending on expensive things that are heavily advertised and to decide whether or not those things are really yielding perceived value commensurate with their cost. In the case of a luxury car, it's 100% perceived value, because the Mercedes or BMW actually does a poorer job of delivering you to your destination economically and reliably than the Honda or Toyota.

Old 03-15-2024, 02:11 PM

369 posts, read 105,240 times
Anda again, value for the dollar is not the only valid metric, and choosing a car that you like and enjoy driving due to driving dynamics is not merely "keeping up with the Joneses" or merely influenced by marketing. This is like your anti-open concept rants that people like it ONLY due to people watching HGTV.

You have some weird psychological basis to think that that's what drive's people's choices to spend more than you would.

Old 03-15-2024, 02:59 PM

11,428 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
My wife has the itch for a new car after having hers for 9 years. She wanted the Porsche Macan (which we were both onboard of getting), but after some thought, she does occasional business trips to lower income rural parts of the country, and doesn't want to show up to the worksite with a Porsche.

We stopped and browsed some Mercedes over the weekend, but nothing excited me to tell her to buy. I used to be a BMW guy but all the new ones look like bland Hondas. Her requirements are 4 doors and that its a car or suv, we don't care about gas mileage.

We will probably look again this weekend, but there is nothing new that excites me on what we should look at. I was thinking of just looking at the 4runners but she probably won't like the truck platform, and they have a new model coming out later this year, so don't want her to get a new, old model car. Any ideas, on some interesting cars?
I still hate Chris Bangle. Even after he trashed BMW design and they finally jettisoned him to the scrap heap of history, BMW never found it's design footing. I do like the new 4-series coupe but then they ruin it with the swollen black nostrils.

I was at a hotel recently when someone checking in pulled up in a late 1990s 740i (E38). Those things were so classy and elegant. Nobody does classy or elegant under $100k anymore.

I REALLY HATE modern car styling. I can't shout that loud enough. It is almost universal.

I am thinking about getting a Lexus SUV for the quiet. The nice thing is, I would never sweat a scratch or dent since they are already butt ugly as is.

Old 03-15-2024, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
My wife has the itch for a new car after having hers for 9 years. She wanted the Porsche Macan (which we were both onboard of getting), but after some thought, she does occasional business trips to lower income rural parts of the country, and doesn't want to show up to the worksite with a Porsche.

We stopped and browsed some Mercedes over the weekend, but nothing excited me to tell her to buy. I used to be a BMW guy but all the new ones look like bland Hondas. Her requirements are 4 doors and that its a car or suv, we don't care about gas mileage.

We will probably look again this weekend, but there is nothing new that excites me on what we should look at. I was thinking of just looking at the 4runners but she probably won't like the truck platform, and they have a new model coming out later this year, so don't want her to get a new, old model car. Any ideas, on some interesting cars?
I guess your wife is not the Range Rover type. That may be outside the size/weight/performance class you are looking for so... but many people don't really know where they slot in terms of profile so I don't think it would be trouble taking to work sites.

I am just going to throw this out there... Genesis GV70.

She should just get the Macan and rent something for worksite trips. Why deny yourself something you really want for an outlier need? If it is just once a month, I would just rent something.

Or she could just borrow your car. LOL.

Old 03-15-2024, 03:11 PM

Quote:
The point is that there is no "need" nor is it necessarily "time for a new car" when you "get bored" with one. Obviously everyone has their own priorities. I readily recognize that the short term experience of driving an expensive car CAN be more enjoyable (though not necessarily). For me, the added initial cost, higher cost of maintenance, and increased reliabilty risk are not worth it.

I was just pointing out that each of us has the opportunity to revisit our spending on expensive things that are heavily advertised and to decide whether or not those things are really yielding perceived value commensurate with their cost. In the case of a luxury car, it's 100% perceived value, because the Mercedes or BMW actually does a poorer job of delivering you to your destination economically and reliably than the Honda or Toyota.
I am guessing that the OP is not asking for car recommendations for YOU.

He is asking for help for his wife. She WANTS a Porsche Macan, so any suggestions or advice should be along those lines, not telling them how to spend their hard-earned money

Forums really suck. Most people go off topic and requests for help rarely result in any help that is solicited.

Old 03-15-2024, 03:15 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
A Mini Countryman may be a good fit here. Fun, quirky, reliable. All BMW at this point but without the BMW badge.

If looking at the Macan, will probably want it in the JCW trim.
301-HP Countryman JCW Is the Quickest Mini We've Ever Tested

Old 03-15-2024, 03:27 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I still hate Chris Bangle. Even after he trashed BMW design and they finally jettisoned him to the scrap heap of history, BMW never found it's design footing. I do like the new 4-series coupe but then they ruin it with the swollen black nostrils.

I was at a hotel recently when someone checking in pulled up in a late 1990s 740i (E38). Those things were so classy and elegant. Nobody does classy or elegant under $100k anymore.
I agree that they were as elegant as it gets.

But to be fair, the things were $65K or more 25 years ago. Based on CPI that's a $120-125K car today.

Old 03-15-2024, 04:20 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am guessing that the OP is not asking for car recommendations for YOU.

He is asking for help for his wife. She WANTS a Porsche Macan, so any suggestions or advice should be along those lines, not telling them how to spend their hard-earned money

Forums really suck. Most people go off topic and requests for help rarely result in any help that is solicited.
Ah yes, the forum police! Thou shalt ONLY answer the specific question asked, thou shalt never attempt to provide perspective or possibly a gentle guidance nudge toward a possibly more beneficial approach to a question!

I'm sorry, but I guess I missed that clause in the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive