Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:10 PM

75 posts, read 142,344 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, it's me again (the girl thinking about getting a new car soon.) I have a couple more questions. So I'm already pretty sure what car I want. I'm on the website "building" my car and there are some things I don't understand. What is rear-wheel drive vs. all-wheel drive and does it matter? I also want to ask, why is it that it's always adviced not to get a new car for a first? I don't understand. Apart from being more expensive what other incovenients does it have? I'm not a crazy, irresponsible driver so I'm not going to be getting into wrecks! Also, let's say I get an expensive car but in a few years it's going to be old, could I trade it in for a new one? Or do I have to sell it on my own??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 07:18 PM

439 posts, read 1,232,498 times
When i lived in the UP, i drove my buddies car which was rear wheel drive, I spun out . It is harder to gain traction. Now a AWD car is good for any weather. If you live somewhere where you get alot of snow it is something to cinsider I think

Old 06-04-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
When i lived in the UP, i drove my buddies car which was rear wheel drive, I spun out . It is harder to gain traction. Now a AWD car is good for any weather. If you live somewhere where you get alot of snow it is something to cinsider I think
Oh, thanks! Yeah where I live it snows A LOT! The thing is it's about 3K more expensive for an all-wheel drive, but I guess its necessary since it snows here right?

Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Well in general you lose a lot of money on depreciation on a new car, modern cars don't wear out near as fast as they did in the '60s or earlier. If you don't know the difference between rear wheel, front wheel, and all wheel drive, I'm betting there is a lot of other stuff you don't know, that you should know, before spending 20 to 60 thou on a new car. Needless to say, the "personnel" at new car dealerships are not a useful or reliable source of information on automotive topics.

A lot of "un-car-y" people, people who are not "motorheads", gravitate towards a new car "so it won't give them any trouble". Well you pay more than enough in cash up front for that "warm fuzzy feeling"!

Props to you, though, for at least asking! But, see if you can't find some of Sir Jackie Stewart's excellent books on car ownership and driving, try looking in the local library, read up on what's what. Check out Consumer Reports' annual car issue, I think this is the April issue, anyway any decent library will have it.

Education means hard work but the price of ignorance is even higher. So read up. Consider taking a "powder puff" mechanic's course at your local community college - even if you don't intend to try to do any of your own maintenance, at least you will know what's going on. Even a new car will require some maintenance.

For the same reason a new hunter does not sign up for a serious African safari without first gaining some experience on less exotic hunts, don't dive into the deep end of the automotive pool, financially speaking, till you have gained some experience!

Last rant - try to learn to drive a stick. Adds enormously to the drivng experience, and motorhead guys will take you more seriously.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well in general you lose a lot of money on depreciation on a new car, modern cars don't wear out near as fast as they did in the '60s or earlier. If you don't know the difference between rear wheel, front wheel, and all wheel drive, I'm betting there is a lot of other stuff you don't know, that you should know, before spending 20 to 60 thou on a new car. Needless to say, the "personnel" at new car dealerships are not a useful or reliable source of information on automotive topics.

A lot of "un-car-y" people, people who are not "motorheads", gravitate towards a new car "so it won't give them any trouble". Well you pay more than enough in cash up front for that "warm fuzzy feeling"!

Props to you, though, for at least asking! But, see if you can't find some of Sir Jackie Stewart's excellent books on car ownership and driving, try looking in the local library, read up on what's what. Check out Consumer Reports' annual car issue, I think this is the April issue, anyway any decent library will have it.

Education means hard work but the price of ignorance is even higher. So read up. Consider taking a "powder puff" mechanic's course at your local community college - even if you don't intend to try to do any of your own maintenance, at least you will know what's going on. Even a new car will require some maintenance.

For the same reason a new hunter does not sign up for a serious African safari without first gaining some experience on less exotic hunts, don't dive into the deep end of the automotive pool, financially speaking, till you have gained some experience!

Last rant - try to learn to drive a stick. Adds enormously to the drivng experience, and motorhead guys will take you more seriously.
LOL omg, I could just see myself taking a mechanics course! I'm probably the last person you'd see in one. Anyway, you make very good points and I get what you're saying. I know almost nothing about cars, but you see... I don't really think it's necessary to be an expert in cars as long as you can drive one. There's assitance everywhere. My brother got a new, expensive sports car when he turned 15 (and obviously had no or very little experience) and never had a problem with it.

I have read a few of those car magizines and found them great, full of great advice and reviews. That was a while ago so I'm going to buy one soon and compare cars again and see if I change my mind on the car I want.

P.S. What do you mean by driving a stick?

Old 06-04-2008, 08:29 PM

625 posts, read 4,571,105 times
Stick: manual, 5 speed, transmission you shift

RWD vs. AWD: If you drive in a lot of snow or rain it may be worth getting the AWD...otherwise fuel consumption is usually higher on AWD so there is that to consider-as well as maintenance on an AWD is higher.

The largest expense associated with owning a vehicle is DEPRECIATION: you pay say $25,000 for a car, then sell it for $10,000...that car cost you $15,000 to own just in depreciation cost. Also, you don't want to finance a depreciating asset (a car)...many dollars are wasted these days by people who buy a car with a loan, trade it in a few years later for less than market, they are upside down on the loan (value is less than loan payoff amount), but the dealer they trade it into will "tote the note"-they roll the money into the new payment...basically they s crew you all around-on the trade in, on the price of the new car, on the loan interest rate...unless you are a VERY informed buyer it's hard to get away from a car dealer without getting screwed somehow. I only pay cash for cars and less than $10,000...the depreciation downside is very low(the rate of depreciation on a car that is more than 5 years old is very slow-the car has already LOST most of it's value by then-yes, there will (usually) be higher maintenance cost, but it's worked out pretty well for me.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:16 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,837 times
May I ask which car you're looking at buying and what region of the country you live in (you can be as vague or specific as you wish)?

Old 06-05-2008, 08:59 AM

681 posts, read 2,878,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubalu View Post
Hi everyone, it's me again (the girl thinking about getting a new car soon.) I have a couple more questions. So I'm already pretty sure what car I want. I'm on the website "building" my car and there are some things I don't understand. What is rear-wheel drive vs. all-wheel drive and does it matter?
Rear wheel drive means that the engine powers the rear wheels through the transmission. Most rear wheel drive cars have a standard differential, meaning that if you lose traction with one wheel, the other wheel will have no power and you'll go nowhere while the one loose wheel spins.

All wheel drive means that the engine powers ALL of the wheels (some of the time or all of the time). It differs from four wheel drive in that four wheel drive is effectively TWO standard differentials... one in the rear and one in the front. Lose traction on one rear wheel and one front wheel at the same time, and you're going nowhere. All wheel drive systems are designed such that you can have traction on all four wheels at once... and if you lose traction on three wheels, the fourth wheel will still have pull. These systems are usually computerized, whereas standard differentials and 4-wheel drive don't have to be computerized.

Quote:
I also want to ask, why is it that it's always adviced not to get a new car for a first? I don't understand.
They're more expensive and they lose value quickly. Young drivers are more likely to get into accidents and also less likely to do a lot of driving, which is why the typical high school kid gets a $3,000 mid-90s Chevy Cavalier. If you're a safe driver, you'll be driving a lot, and you don't mind the fact that four years later you'll be lucky to sell that car for half of what you originally paid for it, then get a new car.

Quote:
Also, let's say I get an expensive car but in a few years it's going to be old, could I trade it in for a new one? Or do I have to sell it on my own??
You could do either, but of course in a few years it'll be worth a lot less than it was when you bought it.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:48 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
If you live in a snowy area then pay the extra money on an awd vehicle. What vehicle are you considering? Also do your homework on the price. The price listed on the car should not be what you pay. You really need to know the actual price of the vehicle the dealer paid. Not what they post. If you are scared of getting ripped off then go to a place like Costco or Sams Club and check out their car buying areas. good luck.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:39 PM

681 posts, read 2,913,004 times
Quote:
LOL omg, I could just see myself taking a mechanics course! I'm probably the last person you'd see in one. Anyway, you make very good points and I get what you're saying. I know almost nothing about cars, but you see... I don't really think it's necessary to be an expert in cars as long as you can drive one. There's assitance everywhere. My brother got a new, expensive sports car when he turned 15 (and obviously had no or very little experience) and never had a problem with it.

I have read a few of those car magizines and found them great, full of great advice and reviews. That was a while ago so I'm going to buy one soon and compare cars again and see if I change my mind on the car I want.

P.S. What do you mean by driving a stick?
You sound like a really nice person and are asking some great questions. Which is unusual because so many younger persons come across as "knowing everything". You do not do that, so seem to be an exception. [forgive my assumptions, please].

You've already received some good advice. In my distant past I've been a car dealer service manager, tow truck driver and cop, so my experience is broader than some. I usually see the auto's on display each year at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, so I enjoy fine cars. My suggestions are:
Cars are not quite perfect "things" made by not quite perfect "people". Things break, people normally just bend. Always remember to which class of these you belong.
Understand that car dealers and/or salesmen are not your best friend.
The quickest way to lose a friend is to buy or sell them a car
The second quickest way is to borrow or loan them a car.
All Wheel or Four Wheel Drive is needed for snow in the same way a deck of cards is needed to play baseball.
Buy a car in a style or color that will not bore you for at least three years.
Buy a car larger enough to carry your best friend, but not too many more.
Understand when you buy a new car you are throwing away about one fifth of it's value the moment you leave the dealer's driveway.
Some cars, when purchased wisely and maintained carefully, will gain in value if kept in prime condition for longer than your friends will think fashionable. If you care for their opinion more than your pocketbook, sell it. If not, drive it in good health.
More modern cars have more modern features, "bells and whistles". Except the fact that those things cost more to maintain their usefulness over the years.
Cars last longer than cell phones. Always have. Always will. If you are a bright as you seem, you will buy the right car and drive it for three or four decades. And then get your money back. But you will be one in a million, then, too.
Best of luck whichever way you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive