Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:04 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times

Advertisements

My daily driver is a 2003 VW Jetta TDI diesel. It gets 43.6 mpg in the summer and 46.7 in the winter. That’s city mileage, highway is 48 to 52 mpg @ 75mph. No hybred can come close to that mileage at those speeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 06:16 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Quote:
My daily driver is a 2003 VW Jetta TDI diesel. It gets 43.6 mpg in the summer and 46.7 in the winter. That’s city mileage, highway is 48 to 52 mpg @ 75mph. No hybred can come close to that mileage at those speeds.
I had NO IDEA diesel was doing so much better. I think I'll take a serious look at that once I'm in a position to get another car.

BTW, did you hear about the European airline that was going to go to kerosene?

Old 06-07-2008, 06:36 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I had NO IDEA diesel was doing so much better. I think I'll take a serious look at that once I'm in a position to get another car.

Jet Fuel is basiclly Kerosene...it has been that way for a long long time

Old 06-07-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Jet Fuel is basiclly Kerosene...it has been that way for a long long time
Is is just a matter of octane or something? -- like not being as 'high test' as "real" jet fuel?

Old 06-07-2008, 11:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
I've been getting 50 mpg since 1976 in my VW diesels... no dinosaurs or OPEC required (or huge, hazardous, expendable batteries)
Biodiesel Appleseed Reactor Plans (http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleseedprocessor/ - broken link)
I've bought several Rabbits, Jettas and Golfs for under $100. (next time you need a car, get a CHEAP one !!) Some I get for free once folks know I fix them up.

Quote:
yes, Jet fuel is very close to Kerosene, (measured in cetane, rather than octane) which is basically diesel without lubrication additives (and is probably crazy high in sulfur...) Several of my friends who are jet mechanics have NEVER bought fuel for their diesel cars. They just use the JET A that has to be discarded from planes under repair, and they add a couple quarts of 2 cycle oil / drum of jet fuel to add lubricant so their fuel pumps don't seize., and cylinders get a little 'wash'.

Virgin Air ran a flight with 20% Bio-D, it really cuts emissions and would be great to use in the 'high polluters"
Biofuel takes flight with Virgin Atlantic | Green Tech - CNET News.com

Algae feedstock will be one to watch, algae ponds can clean coal fired plant emissions, and use the algae for Bio-D. No 'food for fuel fight' + Bio-D in USA is usually Soy based (a byproduct of making soy meal for cattle feed, not a threat to human food stocks). There are some promising Bio-d feedstocks in the form of nut trees and bushes being used in India, Africa, and parts of US (Texas) that are considered too arid for growing food.

Imperium Renewables
the largest bio-d producer in the USA has to get most of it's feedstock from international sources, so I guess it's only fair the majority of the good stuff... (Canola based) is sent to Europe because they pay more. In Europe the engine warranty covers 100% Bio-d (brasserie / canola based), while in US it is tough to get more than 5% BD warrantied. Our soy based Bio-D tends to 'crystalize' at lower temps and plug fuel filters. This would not be good in a jet...

Old 06-08-2008, 12:15 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Is is just a matter of octane or something? -- like not being as 'high test' as "real" jet fuel?

No, jet fuel IS kerosene....and a crappy grade of kerosene at that. You couldn't put it your space heater...they need "K-1" kerosene, the best (clear) type of coal oil (that's what they called kerosene years ago).

Old 06-08-2008, 07:47 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Question,

Can a older diesel engine car actually use Bio-Diesel fuel?

Old 06-08-2008, 05:51 PM

I think bacteria may be a big thing in the future for breaking down anything with cellulose to make fuel, either ethanol or hydrogen.

Also, there are ways of converting heat from exhaust and from engine blocks to electricity. And, there'll be a new capacitor that acts a lot like a battery, only it charges up a lot faster and lasts a very long time.

Last edited by Brian.Pearson; 06-08-2008 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: added material

Old 06-08-2008, 09:39 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Question,

Can a older diesel engine car actually use Bio-Diesel fuel?
Older engines are typically better for using biodiesel.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:44 AM

I'm driving a 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier. That's the size I like. They are doing something dumb by making them smaller, now, but that's another story.

If I get a diesel, after I'm done with the Cavalier, I'd like to have another one the same size. BTW, I read that Ford was not going to sell any diesel cars in the US due to the costs of getting the emissions to pass the tests. Might be some others, too. And part of the problem has to do with demand, since most people tend to want gasoline-fueled cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive