Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:48 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Which I see that all the time w/ many women (especially older women). They sit right on top of the steering wheel not realizing that if that airbag deployed they could be decapitated.
Yeah, my grandmother does that. She's not even 5ft tall so she has so sit on a pillow with the seat all the way forward. You can't tell her anything though, she's stubborn as a mule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 11:49 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I never said buy another vehicle I said rent when you need to. Zipcar is a good company.
That would be a TERRIBLE waste of money and time. For someone that NEEDS/Uses their SUV 3-4 times a WEEK why on earth would you RENT one that often. In less than a year even if you rented one 1x a week you would spend MORE than it would have cost to BUY one. Besides, they are not even in my state nor in most areas of the country.

FYI, maybe you should investigate zipcar before you spout off about them. MOST of the cars they RENT are Civics and such. NOT SUV's. And tne price for those runs around $66 A DAY!!!! NO THANKS!!!!

Old 06-07-2008, 11:57 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I wonder how often the SUV owners use the space in the car, tow, etc. If its not often then WHY DO YOU HAVE IT? SUVs release higher amounts of Co2 then smaller vehicles. So call avis if you need an SUV every fortnight don't buy one and drive it around every single day.
See if you read my post instead of skimming through you would have seen I wrote that if you do not use it often then it would be best to rent during the times you need one.

EDIT: Lets say the person who actually utilizes the space in an SUV for that one time he goes to home depot. It would cost $16-30 to go to budget rental and get one for the day. How is that more expensive then paying $100 a week something one barely uses?

Old 06-07-2008, 12:02 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
If you've got a big car, you can also rent little cars to get good mileage on long trips.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:13 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
If you've got a big car, you can also rent little cars to get good mileage on long trips.
Yea thats what my sis does. I always ask her why she has the SUV. She says its for the space but I have only seen her utilize the trunk once a year ago to get soil. WTH? Then she goes around complaining about gas prices.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:21 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
It is ILLEGAL in most states for a passanger under a certain age to ride in the front seat. Sure there are people out there that don't obey that law but I DO! It is for the safety and well being of MY CHILDREN!

And if you fold down the BACK SEATS for the dog where are the kids going to sit?????

Child Passenger Safety - Kids, Cars and Crashes - Smart Motorist
For the record: I used to own a pair of Nissan King Cab pickups (at different times); there would be no way that I would strap a child in the little rear 'jump seats' that faced sideways......however, there was a 'kill switch' for the passenger side airbag actuated by the ignition key so the right front seat was the safest place even for a small child.

In other words: there are exceptions to the 'back seat only' rule for younger kids. Standard cab pickups and two seater cars all come to mind.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
For the record: I used to own a pair of Nissan King Cab pickups (at different times); there would be no way that I would strap a child in the little rear 'jump seats' that faced sideways......however, there was a 'kill switch' for the passenger side airbag actuated by the ignition key so the right front seat was the safest place even for a small child.

In other words: there are exceptions to the 'back seat only' rule for younger kids. Standard cab pickups and two seater cars all come to mind.
Most all pickups have a kill switch for the airbag on the front passanger seat (including my husbands 98 Chevy extended cab). I've yet to see one SUV that has such since the backseats are available and in many cases can not ALL be taken out. I agree, I don't care for the sideways jump seats in the small trucks. However, the small pickups and two seater cars are not practical family cars.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:30 PM

955 posts, read 2,157,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckown View Post
The Death of the SUV

by Mike Krumboltz June 4, 2008 03:11:39 PM
Dearly beloved. We gather here today to mourn the demise of the sport utility vehicle, or "SUV" as its friends liked to call it.
O ye of short memories, or just youngsters who have not been through cycles.

In the seventies, the proclamation was the death of powerboats and large cars. Sailboats would begin carrying cargo and passengers, and people would flock back to the cities. I had twenty good years with twin 454's on my boat. Boy, did we burn the fuel. Now we hear the same stories. In another three years, the headlines will be proclaiming global cooling and the next ice age and the next generation of luxury motor homes to take people on country wide vacations.

Having see these cycles sure puts things into perspective. I remember new college hires in the eighties getting freaked out about a downturn in the economy and possibly lsoing their jobs. They thought that they were the first people to ever witness such an event.

Stay calm, this too shall pass.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:44 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
yep.....

Old 06-07-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
O ye of short memories, or just youngsters who have not been through cycles.

In the seventies, the proclamation was the death of powerboats and large cars. Sailboats would begin carrying cargo and passengers, and people would flock back to the cities. I had twenty good years with twin 454's on my boat. Boy, did we burn the fuel. Now we hear the same stories. In another three years, the headlines will be proclaiming global cooling and the next ice age and the next generation of luxury motor homes to take people on country wide vacations.

Having see these cycles sure puts things into perspective. I remember new college hires in the eighties getting freaked out about a downturn in the economy and possibly lsoing their jobs. They thought that they were the first people to ever witness such an event.

Your last sentence says it all. Don't FREAK OUT!!! Don't do something that could put you in a worse financial mess. Stay calm, think EVERYTHING THRU and not just how it will be for you in 1 year but MORE! I've lived thru enough downturns and my own dad losing his job enough to know . They wanted to sell the house that in the 79/80 time period was only costing them a little less than $300 a month. Rent for a 2 bedroom apt in the area would have been DOUBLE that. They stuck it out, tightened the belt AGAIN, hung on and made it thru. They sold that house last year that was PAID OFF and moved to a much nicer home close by me. If they would have sold back then they NEVER would have been able to even get back into a similiar house to that one.

Yep, all too well remember the crap cars that came out in fear of the gas shortage as well. Lines going around the block. All of it. We made it thru and the ones that came out THE BEST after did not run out and sell their big boat cars that sucked up gas like it was water for the cheap disposable ones being touted as "better gas mileage". Look around now. You don't see ANY of those "better" cars on the road at all. You DO see those BIG BOATS, muscle cars, etc and still running as good as ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive