Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:00 AM

3,394 posts, read 6,036,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I bought some specific performance tires from tirerack.com.
You bring up a good point there with the specific performance tires. A lot of local shops don't even stock the performance tires at all and sometimes their pricing on them is quite ridiculous with a waiting period for them to be ordered.

Regular all season tire wise, I think most people are just best off shopping around locally.

One word of advice to those who get tires: don't leave any valuables in your car. I had an automatic toll pass unit stolen out of my car at Sam's Club a few years ago. Definitely stolen as I work during the week and the toll booth where it was used wasn't a route I traveled often and certainly not during the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 03:29 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,957,938 times
I've used tire rack. If everything goes well, it's fine. If you get a bad tire (and I did), what I saved wasn't worth the aggravation. I got a set of take-offs on Ebay one time for my GMC truck. Wheels and tires like new for$600. That was a great deal.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:31 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I've bought from Tirerack as well. I know this thread is old but for future reference, I think that buyers should shop around locally before buying online. Why? Because some shops charge way too much if you're bringing the tires in for them to mount. That might make the savings negligible.

Lately, my favorite spot has been Sam's Club for tires, they have decent pricing and they're usually pretty quick.
Sam's Club can eat me. A few weeks ago I bought a set of winter tires from Sam's Club because I liked the idea of having a national network of shops to do the free lifetime rotations because who knows where I'm going to live in the next year or two or three. I have a Mitsubishi Lancer with optional 18" rims. I bought a set 16" winter tires from Sam's and I also bought a set of OEM Mitsubishi 16" rims to put them on. When they noticed it was a different rim size, they refused to mount the wheels on my car. Mind you, the base Lancer comes with 16" rims, and I brought them 16" Mitsubishi rims specifically designed to fit on my car. But that didn't matter to them. Since my car was delivered with the optional 18" rims instead of the standard 16" rims, they were not permitted to put the "wrong size rims" on my car. They said it was for my own safety.

So get this -- they sent me home in a snowstorm on summer tires for my "safety." When I pointed out the sheer cognitive dissonance and downright idiocy of turning me out in a snowstorm on summer tires for my "safety," they hid behind the standard "sorry, corporate policy" disclaimer. So I had to spend an additional $20 to take the winter rims/tires to some other place to have them put on my car, whereupon it was discovered that Sam's had improperly marked which rim was supposed to go on which side of the car... if Sam's Club had actually put the wheels on my car like I paid them to, they'd have installed the unidirectional tires in the wrong direction.

Never again am I letting those mooks touch my car. I could have rounded up a random assembly of chimpanzees from the zoo and they'd have done a better job.

Last edited by Drover; 02-19-2014 at 03:42 AM..

Old 02-19-2014, 09:06 AM

865 posts, read 2,144,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Sam's Club can eat me. A few weeks ago I bought a set of winter tires from Sam's Club because I liked the idea of having a national network of shops to do the free lifetime rotations because who knows where I'm going to live in the next year or two or three. I have a Mitsubishi Lancer with optional 18" rims. I bought a set 16" winter tires from Sam's and I also bought a set of OEM Mitsubishi 16" rims to put them on. When they noticed it was a different rim size, they refused to mount the wheels on my car. Mind you, the base Lancer comes with 16" rims, and I brought them 16" Mitsubishi rims specifically designed to fit on my car. But that didn't matter to them. Since my car was delivered with the optional 18" rims instead of the standard 16" rims, they were not permitted to put the "wrong size rims" on my car. They said it was for my own safety.

So get this -- they sent me home in a snowstorm on summer tires for my "safety." When I pointed out the sheer cognitive dissonance and downright idiocy of turning me out in a snowstorm on summer tires for my "safety," they hid behind the standard "sorry, corporate policy" disclaimer. So I had to spend an additional $20 to take the winter rims/tires to some other place to have them put on my car, whereupon it was discovered that Sam's had improperly marked which rim was supposed to go on which side of the car... if Sam's Club had actually put the wheels on my car like I paid them to, they'd have installed the unidirectional tires in the wrong direction.

Never again am I letting those mooks touch my car. I could have rounded up a random assembly of chimpanzees from the zoo and they'd have done a better job.
That is pretty much any chain tire shop. They don't want to risk liability for when someone puts the wrong size tire on their vehicle and an ambulance chaser finds the wrong size tire played a part in someone's death.

I had my car held hostage at a Walmart for 3 hours once because of that.

Long story short:
- My car OE size is 195/60-15. I bought 185/65-15 snow tires. SAME LOAD RATING, HIGHER SPEED RATING
- I went to a junkyard and bought tires off of a Focus that already had 195-60-15 tires on them.

- I installed the junkyard wheels and tires to make sure they were not bent.

- Put OE wheels and tires in trunk and winter tires on back seat.

- Asked Walmart to do the following
------ reinstall OE tires and wheels (correct size) ... I was too lazy to do this again myself
------ Mount 185/65-15 tires on junkyard wheels and toss in trunk

Well, the technician got my car on the lift, pulled the wheels off and realized that the tires going in the trunk were not the right size.

At that point he REFUSED TO TOUCH MY CAR.

For 3 hours, he completely held up Walmart Tire and Lube Express. Refused to put the correct size on my car, refused to mount the snow tires for the trunk.

We (TLE manager, store manager, myself) had to plead with him for THREE HOURS. Eventually they threatened to fire him and he finally did it. Which is good, because I was getting close to either going into the bay and doing it myself or calling the police.

If I'm feeling lazy, just carry the wheel/tire into Walmart or I will just do it myself and have it balanced somewhere.

Aside from that one incident, the Walmart TLE technicians do a good job mounting - they clean up the bead on the alloy wheels which does a good job of preventing bead leaks. Plus they don't seem to destroy the wheels.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:19 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
Last 2 posts illustrate why I DIY. Of course I have a buddy with a mounting machine and a balancing machine, not everyone does.

But I mount without scratching the wheel, and balance to +/- 4 grams. This takes about 3 spins on average on the balancer. The monkeys at any chain shop will no way take this much time and care.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
That is pretty much any chain tire shop . . .
But it's not. I've had separate down-size winter tires for years and had them installed or seasonally swapped at any number of places, local or chain. This is the first time anyone has refused to put my winter wheels/tires on because they weren't the same size as the wheels/tires that came with my car. I've also never had a tire shop mount unidirectional tires in the wrong direction. Though to be fair, they didn't actually mount them on my car in the wrong direction by virtue of their refusal to mount them at all; and it's conceivable they could have corrected the error before turning me loose -- though I doubt it.

There's one thing our two similar experiences have in common: the same parent company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive