Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 07:00 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
And don't forget the title with the transaction.
Do not complete a sale if a title can not or is not produced.
If there is a title, is the sellers name on the title. If not, ask how they have possession of the vehicle and do they have legal authority to sell the vehicle. In other words, don't buy a stolen vehicle or one that has mechanics liens on it.
You can sell a car without title just have to fill out a form atleast in CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 07:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
You can sell a car without title just have to fill out a form atleast in CA
yeah, no. i dont deal with cars that have no title. i want to compare the vin listed on the title with the vin on the car, and if there is a discrepancy, i want to know why.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:50 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yeah, no. i dont deal with cars that have no title. i want to compare the vin listed on the title with the vin on the car, and if there is a discrepancy, i want to know why.
Sure understand. Just mentioned it because I never got the title from my credit union after pay off, may try to get since heading back to CA

Old 08-15-2013, 09:49 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Just out of curiosity, where did you get this from?
I work for a finance institution and see it happen everyday.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:02 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I work for a finance institution and see it happen everyday.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:46 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Old thread but for reference, any form of payment outside of cash can be revoked in a 10 day period, including certified checks from banks, money orders, wire transfers, etc etc etc.

If selling a car for an amount higher than what I'm willing to lose (which is really anything over $100) I would accept nothing else than going to the bank with the buyer and receiving cash directly from the bank teller. If that's too much of a hassle for the buyer, I guess they don't want the car, and yes, I would most definitely be armed.
Most states going into a bank armed is a felony

Old 08-16-2013, 10:24 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
I sold a lot for CASH and a Certified Bank Check from a Large Bank in the US (nameless)

I spent 1 HOUR at a local branch while they conversed in a back office ( I could see them) before the check was accepted as a deposit etc.

CERTIFIED Bank Check......fancy word for TP in some cases....best a SELLER beware.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:15 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Most states going into a bank armed is a felony
Not here!

And even if they had the appropriate 30.06 signs, I could leave it with a friend in the car while I went in.

But yeah, I really don't trust another for of payment than cars, and I'm not going to carry several thousands of it around unarmed, so I'd find a solution.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:25 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
No problem with taking a personal check as long as THEY DON'T GET THE CAR. until it has cleared their bank.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:33 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
Quote:
Old thread but for reference, any form of payment outside of cash can be revoked in a 10 day period, including certified checks from banks, money orders, wire transfers, etc etc etc.

If selling a car for an amount higher than what I'm willing to lose (which is really anything over $100) I would accept nothing else than going to the bank with the buyer and receiving cash directly from the bank teller. If that's too much of a hassle for the buyer, I guess they don't want the car, and yes, I would most definitely be armed.
Good info TheViking85. I recently did an online forum classified ad personal check transaction (not automotive and not for thousands of dollars, $750). I had no red flags when dealing with this person through e-mail or his past forum posts / transactions. I had in my ad will ship when check clears. So I called my bank and always asked for the supervisor and specifically asked if the check cleared. I also specifically asked each supervisor (I called a couple times) that when the check cleared the funds cannot be taken back / the check cannot bounce and they always said yes. How can the check be revoked in the 10 day period when the bank says the check cleared? Should I have waited 10 (business days, right?) days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive