Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 12:12 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times

Advertisements

Personally I think it sucks.

Just today I was changing oil on our 2007 Honda CRV. While the hood was up and waiting for the oil to drain, I began a component location inside just to pass the time.

As I soon began to find where the alternator, power steering pump, a/c compressor, etc. was, I soon realized if the alternator ever goes out, I'll be spending a weekend, if now two, pulling the engine, just to swap an alternator. That's how cramped it is in there.

So now I am praying none of this stuff goes bad for a long long time. Because I can only see myself having to shell out $$$$$ to have a shop with all the special tools, do the work.

Same thing on my old 95 Cavalier. About the easiest thing to replace was the 02 sensor. Just a simple tune up of changing wires required you to contort in 7 different awkward positions if not throw in the towel and end up paying a shop to do it, knowing you'd be looking at pulling an engine.

Yet my old 93 S-10 you can do all of this stuff within an hour with basic hand tools. Screw FWD vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 01:00 PM

782 posts, read 3,788,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Personally I think it sucks.

Just today I was changing oil on our 2007 Honda CRV. While the hood was up and waiting for the oil to drain, I began a component location inside just to pass the time.

As I soon began to find where the alternator, power steering pump, a/c compressor, etc. was, I soon realized if the alternator ever goes out, I'll be spending a weekend, if now two, pulling the engine, just to swap an alternator. That's how cramped it is in there.

So now I am praying none of this stuff goes bad for a long long time. Because I can only see myself having to shell out $$$$$ to have a shop with all the special tools, do the work.

Same thing on my old 95 Cavalier. About the easiest thing to replace was the 02 sensor. Just a simple tune up of changing wires required you to contort in 7 different awkward positions if not throw in the towel and end up paying a shop to do it, knowing you'd be looking at pulling an engine.

Yet my old 93 S-10 you can do all of this stuff within an hour with basic hand tools. Screw FWD vehicles.
Its rear wheel drive cars too.Its all in the plans for the dealer to work on your cars.My 94 impala ss for instance,the dealer and pep boys wanted $800 dollars for a tune up.Why,because they have to remove the water pump and take the alternator down to change the plugs and wire .Get this,while removing the water pump,might as well replaced it with a new one they told me.No thanks,i got someone to do it on the side for $150.They are making a product so they will have to service it, Business 101.Then i wanted to replace brakes all the way around.I was a sucker after paying $1000 with parts of course.I waited 4 hours for them to do it.That was three years ago.Never again. Now i have a 96 imp ss.I just put all zinc coated drilled/slotted with ceramic pad all around for $250 for parts.Labor was free i did it my self.It took around 90 minutes to do,first time ever doing brakes.I save my self $800 and have upgraded rotors that look sweet.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:10 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,722 times
Think about this...

Do you REALLY think he design engineers while siting infront of their CAD station spend time trying to thiink up ways to make you spend more money on repairs ??

If you believe that even for a second you have NO clue . NO CLUE !!!!

Old 06-15-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Think about this...

Do you REALLY think he design engineers while siting infront of their CAD station spend time trying to thiink up ways to make you spend more money on repairs ??

Yes ,While in school we had a rep from ford.He told us they want to service their own cars.That is why they are making cars so you want work on it.Cars hasn't change the way they operate.The technology has change,but the basic are still there.The engine is still an engine,with the upgraded electronics components and compatible with electric engine for hybrids.I believe him.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:29 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,576 times
Quote:
Think about this...

Some people would just love to whine about anything and everything. Too much time on their hand syndrome ....

Engineers take pride in doing the best they can work with, not with how much they can profit from other people's cockup.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Some people would just love to whine about anything and everything. Too much time on their hand syndrome ....

Engineers take pride in doing the best they can work with, not with how much they can profit from other people's cockup.
Being that I repair vehicles for a living; some of the designs out there are asinine, to be polite.

In fact: the not invented here syndrome was described to me by an automotive engineer.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:25 PM

Think about it.The engineers work for the auto maker.They design what ever the boss tell them to design.Go ask a dealer how they make money.They will tell you from the service center.Take a look at your tail light on your newer car.Probably have to take the bumper down to get to the bulb.Why i just can't remove the carpet cover and twist the bulb out.It's too easy,no you have to climb under neath the car and loosen the tail light bolts to remove the whole unit to replace the bulb,that is what i have to do.Where is the design brilliant in that.They are engineers not mechanics period.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:26 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Quote:
Think about this...

I think they want to pack in as much stuff in as small an area as possible. And this wasn't possible until computer programs...

Old 06-15-2008, 06:54 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
All I know is, when I had my first car, a '74 Dodge Dart, that slant-6 was a dream to work on. You could actually sit on the fender with your feet dangling inside the engine bay; everything was accessible without being a contortionist or removing 12 other components first. It was the best car maintenance-wise I've ever had.

'88 Corvette was well designed with its older engine, but I think the newer ones are getting crowded.

I prefer my old-school Cadillacs (early-to-mid '90's) - big engine bay, easy to reach everything, parts are reasonably priced. Not so my POS Honda - $26 for a Fram air filter, just because the engineers decided to stick a sloped piece of plastic on the edge.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:04 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I think they want to pack in as much stuff in as small an area as possible. And this wasn't possible until computer programs...
That is absolutely true...CAD/CAM has completly changed the way most things are designed nowadays. It's all about reducing wieght while still meeting crash requirements, and reducing manufacturing costs. No one goes about trying to make something difficult to repair. It may end up that way but that is NOT a driving motivation...ever.....................one is an idiot if they think that...

and btw...Booboy ...no boss tells a design engineer how to design something, That makes no sense either. You're not going to understand this concept but making it easy for you to do something is the LAST thing considered. There are MANY things that have priority over that. I hope for your sake they have English composition in this school you're attending or you're going to spend the rest of your life at the end of a wrench.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive