Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 05:10 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,625,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
LOL you said motors
I know. Motors are electric. The only thing is that when we were young guys we would always refer to engines as motors. I.E. Did you hear Tommy is building a '64 Nova? Cool, what motor is putting in it.
When I was sent on my all expenses paid vacation of south east Asia in 1969, we had a Sergeant in our unit from down south who was a huge car guy. He would get crazy when I referred to an engine as a motor. I would always tell him, north of the Mason - Dixon, they're called motors. We would always have a good laugh about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Let me clarify why I say it is the best.
It is the easiest to modify and get good power and reliability.
They run forever in everyday drivers with reliability better than the other v-8's
For racing they make better power than other brands of equal cubes because they have better breathing heads. Early Fords are notorius for poor breathing heads especially on the exhaust side.

When I say dominant in racing I am referring to oval track and road racing.
Go to a stock car race and see just how many guys are running Chevys vs. Fords.
It has only been recently that sb Fords have been competitive with their sealed crate engines.
(it's about time)

In Drag racing many times because of classification Fords and Chevy's of the same cubes are in totally different classes.

As far as the pro classes sb Chevy's are not running against Big Block cars which dominate those classes.

I said I was a Ford guy but I am also a realist.
I agree with your position to a point. What I would add is that modifying a S.B.C. is more economical than a small block Ford and considerably less than a small block Mopar. There is so much more available for a S.B.C. when it comes to parts. It is also a lot easier to get your your hands on a (reasonably priced) G.M. body. I also think that there has been quite a bit more R & D on the S.B.C., because the aftermarket manufacturers know that's where the money is. Yes Ford has finally stepped up and I wish Chrysler would as well. I am partial to Mopars when it comes to racing, (I have owned my 1970 340 Duster since 1973) and I think that I went into a brief state of depression when my brother wrote me that Bill Jenkins was the first driver of a Pro-Stock car to go into the nines back in '69. I was a big Sox & Martin guy. I am also a Ford fan (we currently have 5) and have been since the 80's. I'm trying to figure a way to add a new Mustang to the fleet. That being said, I don't dislike G.M. I'm a car guy and really like them all, I just have an order in which I like them. I think that's what makes the whole car hobby fun. There will always be the great debate about who makes the best engine and in my opinion that's a good thing.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:57 AM

3,867 posts, read 4,078,269 times
VW/Audi 1.8T motor. Highly tunable and reliable peppy engine. Just make sure to change the timing belt/H20 pump every 70K.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:09 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,383,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I'm trying to figure a way to add a new Mustang to the fleet.
My 2012 5.0 Mustang has more grunt than any Mustang of the sixties including the Cobra Jets.
It's amazing what 302 cubes and four overhead cams can do in today's"muscle cars"

Test drive the new 5.0 and you'll take one home.

I really think this 5.0 is gonna knock Chevy off the top of the list as the most popular car for performance guys.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
My 2012 5.0 Mustang has more grunt than any Mustang of the sixties including the Cobra Jets.
It's amazing what 302 cubes and four overhead cams can do in today's"muscle cars"

Test drive the new 5.0 and you'll take one home.

I really think this 5.0 is gonna knock Chevy off the top of the list as the most popular car for performance guys.
I have taken the new GT on a test drive and it was fantastic, "BUT" I really, really, really like the new Boss 302. Still trying to figure a way

Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,765,087 times
The best American engine when looking at things from a racing standpoint: Chevy small block.
The best Foreign engine in regards to racing: Mitsubishi 4G63T

The best American commuter engine (longevity, durbability, rugedness): GM/Buick 3800.
The best Foreign commuter engine: Honda D series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I know. Motors are electric. The only thing is that when we were young guys we would always refer to engines as motors.
Motor as in General Motors? They make Motorcars right? I go to dictionary.com and type in motor and the first definition is:

1. a comparatively small and powerful engine, especially an internal-combustion engine in an automobile, motorboat, or the like.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The best American engine when looking at things from a racing standpoint: Chevy small block.
The best Foreign engine in regards to racing: Mitsubishi 4G63T

The best American commuter engine (longevity, durbability, rugedness): GM/Buick 3800.
The best Foreign commuter engine: Honda D series.

Motor as in General Motors? They make Motorcars right? I go to dictionary.com and type in motor and the first definition is:

1. a comparatively small and powerful engine, especially an internal-combustion engine in an automobile, motorboat, or the like.
c : A rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy. Maybe you didn't get the humor?

Old 12-02-2011, 10:06 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,828 times
5.9L Cummins.

Cummins makes some of the best engines.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,544 times
chevy 350 4 bolt main....or the LS Model short blocks....or the 427....the hell with it....big block 454!! Really, anything Chevy in my book. Just ask anybody who builds Mustangs...lol

Old 12-02-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
chevy 350 4 bolt main....or the LS Model short blocks....or the 427....the hell with it....big block 454!! Really, anything Chevy in my book. Just ask anybody who builds Mustangs...lol
Then you must be a great fan of the old technological marvel, the 140 cu. in. Chevy Vega motor. I know a bunch of people that swore by them (or was it at them:eek). That was an attempt at humor on my part . If and when I get my Mustang, I'll let you know lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive