Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:51 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
Cold air intake and catback exhaust should together get you around 20 hp. You then need to look at headers and an intake manifold. Then you are getting into deeper engine stuff like changing the cam etc. They also sell tools that program the computer to get more hp or you can intall a chip.
hmm maybe a 20HP gain on a V-8 but with just a intake and exhaust on a 1.8 liter N/A 4 banger no way.

Unless he is turning 7000rpm he won't reallly notice it and alot of the claims for intake and exhaust are bogus and tested under ideal condtions not real world numbers. I would say a 9-12HP gain would be closer to real world gains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 11:18 PM

50 posts, read 171,424 times
thanks guys for all the help .. but now instead of going for a race car .. im going to make it look nice ..
im going to black out the rims and i got little sticky things that look nice .. they are "chrome" lol. i was actually thinking about getting a spoiler .. but they cost wayy too much and so do the lights i want to get. any suggestions for that? that dont cost over 100 bucks .. ? i refuse to get new rims. just so everyone knows. i have a deck and some lights on the inside.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:27 PM

ok .. i just came up with an idea.. now .. i know im jumping here and there on my car .. but i just found a really huge solution to still have a cold air intake without getting the whole mod.. now . dont get me wrong .. idk if this will really work . but i have a volkswagen. and the intake tube for it is on the oposite side of the filter. could i just use that tube and connect a filter and a clamp plus a heat shield to make it run just as if i had gotten the whole kit? .. REMEMBER THIS IS JUST AN IDEA.. I HAVE NO MECHANICAL KNOWLADGE SO DONT CRITIZIZE ME ON MY OUTRAGOUS IDEAS. this is excluding gtoguy and whtboyslo b/c they have been nice to me . thanks for your imput

Old 06-26-2010, 11:34 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vassba View Post
thanks guys for all the help .. but now instead of going for a race car .. im going to make it look nice ..
im going to black out the rims and i got little sticky things that look nice .. they are "chrome" lol. i was actually thinking about getting a spoiler .. but they cost wayy too much and so do the lights i want to get. any suggestions for that? that dont cost over 100 bucks .. ? i refuse to get new rims. just so everyone knows. i have a deck and some lights on the inside.
hmm go to a junk yard and pull the lower body kit and rims off a wrecked GTI if the let you try and get the larger 4- wheel disc brakes used on them maybe snag the larger stiffer upper and lower anti-sway bars of the GTI too.

don't put a massive spoiler or chrome stickers on it because it will look like amature to a real tuner.
save up for some suspension upgrades I would rather have a car that has a wicked sport tuned suspension over a fancy paint job or some rims.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:44 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
hmm maybe a 20HP gain on a V-8 but with just a intake and exhaust on a 1.8 liter N/A 4 banger no way.

Unless he is turning 7000rpm he won't reallly notice it and alot of the claims for intake and exhaust are bogus and tested under ideal condtions not real world numbers. I would say a 9-12HP gain would be closer to real world gains.
I'm going on challenger numbers since that what I've been looking at...why would you try to do this to a 1.8 liter anyway? If you want it to go faster, you have the wrong car..this is a non issue.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:45 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
Quote:
chrome stickers? spoiler? lights?

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

For starters (and this is a matter of personal opinion), I have NEVER seen a car with any of this crap on it (aftermarket) and said 'Yeah, that looks good.' It looks like crap IMO. I call 'em Pep Boys Specials' because it looks like the owner just went down the aisle of Pep Boys with a cart throwing anything in that cost less than $5. This brings us back to the dilemma of modding a car on a budget.....

Look, I get it. You want to have your car stand out and you want to play with it. We're car guys. That's what we do. But to put on all that crap is like the fat/ugly girl who decides to go emo. Yeah, it's different and now I notice you, but that's not necessarily a good thing.

That's not to say I don't like tastefully-done bodykits where maybe a nice spoiler and/or some aftermarket lights finish off the look (though let's face it, that era of car modding is pretty much on its last breath). But when you make comments like 'anything under $100', I just groan because I know this is not what you're going to get.

Again, first and foremost, I recommend you think really hard about what you want the car to do. Is it a comfortable commuter, a racer, a show car, or some combination thereof? Once you have that, start planning out what you want/need to get you there. Hit up forums dedicated to your type of vehicle (every vehicle has one at this point) and just read and learn. You'll find out what parts are good, what mods are worthwhile, and just how much the rest of the world will laugh at you if you run around with chrome stickers and cheap wings.

Quote:
ok .. i just came up with an idea.. now .. i know im jumping here and there on my car .. but i just found a really huge solution to still have a cold air intake without getting the whole mod.. now . dont get me wrong .. idk if this will really work . but i have a volkswagen. and the intake tube for it is on the oposite side of the filter. could i just use that tube and connect a filter and a clamp plus a heat shield to make it run just as if i had gotten the whole kit? .. REMEMBER THIS IS JUST AN IDEA.. I HAVE NO MECHANICAL KNOWLADGE SO DONT CRITIZIZE ME ON MY OUTRAGOUS IDEAS. this is excluding gtoguy and whtboyslo b/c they have been nice to me . thanks for your imput .
Ah, the home-grown intake. There's nothing wrong with it if you do it right, but doing so will require you to have a bit of know-how as to what makes your car tick. I don't know a lot about VWs, but really the only thing you need to know for this to work right is how the engine meters the amount of air you're letting in. On pretty much all newer cars, there is a sensor called the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF sensor) that meters incoming air. It's typically located somewhere between the throttle body and the filter housing. You can do pretty much anything you want upstream of this sensor and be OK. Heck, on my old Ford Focus, I removed everything upstream and just installed a cone filter like you see on all the other intakes right onto the flange on the end of the MAF sensor. It worked, though I doubt it got me any performance upgrades. Still sounded cool, though.

If your car doesn't use a MAF sensor, you need to figure out what sort of system it uses. It would probably be a speed density system, which is simpler in many ways but is a crude system in that it doesn't know when you've done things like add an intake. You can still do it, but the gains from it will be even less than if your car had a MAF sensor.

Either way, your idea about a heat shield is a good one, especially if you can make it seal against the hood when it closes so as to ensure engine heat doesn't get back to it. Take a look at most of the intake kits out there on the market to get an idea how they do it and just copy that. Also, be very aware of where you put your filter! While it does get you colder air, you don't want the filter near the bottom of the car because you run the risk of serious enginer damage should you run through a large puddle.

Overall, I hope you're getting the message that the best thing to do is to calm down and think it through. If you just start buying anything and everything you can afford for cheap, your car is just going to reflect that. Take your time, plan it out, and if you have to save up a bit to get the stuff you really want/need, do it. You'll be better off and happier with your car in the long run. Do it once, do it right. And again, there's nothing wrong with used parts so keep a lookout on forums, ebay, and craigslist. Just know what you want and search for it as opposed to just buying whatever you can afford 'because you can'.

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 06-27-2010 at 05:59 AM..

Old 06-27-2010, 06:05 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Ok, so you don't want it to sound like a ricer, but it sure sounds like it's gonna look like one.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:57 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
as the only mod it is a waste the only upside if you get one is the re-useable air filter like a K&N it has a million mile warranty and is a great filter over oen paper ones all of my cars and trucks run a K&N and they a worth it IMO as for perfomance gains the 3-4HP is at the peak of the poer band so 6500 RPM and I doubt you will see any gain in daily driving and you won't feel the extra 4HP to be honest .

some one said a going to a tuner that would be the best they can change the timing and take off the speed limiter and change the shift points also a performace 4-into-1 header a Hi-flow cat and a proper 2.25 inch cat back performance exhaust. like a borla or maganflow like pitured below and you will gain a noticable gain and a small mileage increase with the tune

and bingo you are set with some basic bolt-ons but in the $1200 but will gain around 20-25HP and 2-3mpg gain atmost.
All of the things shown in the photo are the best and simplest way to power up any engine that is a street driver. All one has to do is remember that an engine is nothing more , or less than, a air pump so the faster the air goes in and comes back out the more power & mpg you'll have.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:27 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
All of the things shown in the photo are the best and simplest way to power up any engine that is a street driver. All one has to do is remember that an engine is nothing more , or less than, a air pump so the faster the air goes in and comes back out the more power & mpg you'll have.
In a normally aspirated engine you actually want some back pressure in the exhaust, especially in engines smaller than 2.0L.

Having too free of an exhaust on a smaller NA engine can infact steal power instead of the contrary.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Ok, so you don't want it to sound like a ricer, but it sure sounds like it's gonna look like one.

jw NHDave. whats the definition of how a ricer looks?

and if anyone else wants to join in and tell me the definition of a ricer .. that would be great

Last edited by vassba; 07-02-2010 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: not enough info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive