Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 01:35 PM

364 posts, read 1,978,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Yep, you should be able to feel the additional pull. Or you could drive slowely on dry pavement and turn the wheels. you will hear bad loud noises coming from the drive train. Don't do this very much because it could damage the drivetrain.
I disagree. Binding could blow a CV axle (if the vehicle has indenpendent front suspension), and if pushed hard could blow a U-Joint as well. Then you would have to pay for the repair of a vehicle you don't even own

This is what you should do:

Option #1
  • Put the vehicle in 4LO, and allow it to move forward in a STRAIGHT LINE
  • Have somebody look under the vehicle to see if both driveshafts and axles move freely WITHOUT YOU PRESSING THE GAS PEDAL.
  • Do the same in reverse.
  • If the vehicle moves freely, more likely the 4WD is just fine.
Option #2
  • Bring 4 jack stands and a hydraulic floor jack with you.
  • Jack up the vehicle from the 4 corners of the frame and let it seat on the jack stands.
  • Start the engine and engage the 4WD.
  • If the tires front/rear start spinning at the same time, then you're good to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 06:16 PM

681 posts, read 2,912,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJones View Post
[/list][[*]Start the engine and engage the 4WD.[*]If the tires front/rear start spinning at the same time, then you're good to go.[/list]
Why not just take it to a gas station with an old fashioned frame lift, lift the vehicle till the wheels clear the floor, and do the last two items above? Might cost a couple of bucks but it shouldn't cause any harm.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:19 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
I remember one time my husband accidently hit the switch that throws my Expedition into 4x4 and I didn't see it. It felt DRAMATICALLY different in how it drove. I couldn't figure it out, I stopped the car and looked around at all sides, then got back in and stared at the dash until I noticed the light that said the 4 wheel drive was engaged.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:42 AM

630 posts, read 1,294,229 times
first off what year make and model is this truck and heres a tip :

if the truck has 2 driveshafts it is a 4x4 if it only has one it is a 4x2.

locking hubs are a sign
two stickshifts on the floor usually mean its a 4x4 and if you can shift them into gear while the tranny is in neutral your good to go, it works

see most of my responses work for the old school 4x4s

Old 06-26-2008, 04:51 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,773,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post
first off what year make and model is this truck and heres a tip :

if the truck has 2 driveshafts it is a 4x4 if it only has one it is a 4x2.

locking hubs are a sign
two stickshifts on the floor usually mean its a 4x4 and if you can shift them into gear while the tranny is in neutral your good to go, it works

see most of my responses work for the old school 4x4s
It was a 1987 Ford Ranger. Yes it had two drive shafts. And a transfer case. And a shifter on the floor for 4 H, 4 L and 2 H. But it did not have locking hubs to my knowledge.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:01 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Take it to a gravel lot. NOT PAVEMENT! Lock in the hubs (if they are locking), drop the transfer into 4 HI. Put it in first and cut a small circle. The wheels will be going different speeds in a tight circle so the wheels will try and play catchup. Either the front tires or the rear tires will spin a little every few feet. Also, the truck will buck a little.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:30 PM

681 posts, read 2,912,407 times
Like ElkHunter sez but use a sandy beach or mud puddle. With a mud puddle the powered front wheels which "spin a little" will throw some mud up onto the fenders, etc.

That's how the local kids keep their 4WD pickups all the time. They just won't wash the sides of their trucks. Only the glass. Got to show off the thrown mud, otherwise they - or their trucks - are considered by their friends as wimps.

Kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive