Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 07:52 PM

464 posts, read 1,360,902 times

Advertisements

I have a problem that I put grease on the passenger power window and it works fine after 4-5 times, then I have to do it again every 2 days. This is very annoying.

I dont think it's the motor because it goes up pretty quickly after it rains; or when the track is greased. but any other time it stops 2 inches from reaching the top.

any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 07:57 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,149 times
it's the motor. i have had three cars do the samething. i have had to replace the motors in all of them. it starts out that way and then it doesn't go up all the way and then it just stops working. just save your self a big pain in the but and replace it before it stops all together.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:25 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,840 times
Same thing happened to me on 3 windows. I just let it go as long as i could and then one day it wouldn't even stay up so it was time to fix them. They needed motors.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:18 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,149 times
see, like i said you may as well replace it before you have that problem in the middle of a rain storm.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I bet it is the motor too;mine did that then went out later.Ford trucks are famous for this.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:03 PM

681 posts, read 2,913,366 times
The other folk are probably right, but if it goes up normally in the rain there MIGHT be a misalignment or binding problem with the tracks (channels).

Have you had any door impact work completed?

Put a sheet of newspaper between the door and upper window seals on both sides, close the doors and compare how tightly each side binds up or 'grabs' the papers as you pull them free. If the bad side is looser or tighter than the "good" side, it might be something else and a door/window frame alignment by a good body shop might help.

Also run a wide bladed screwdriver up both channels and watch to see if either of the 'bad 'side channels narrows down a lot near the top. Could be this, but as they said, it's probably a motor.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
The other folk are probably right, but if it goes up normally in the rain there MIGHT be a misalignment or binding problem with the tracks (channels).

Have you had any door impact work completed?

Put a sheet of newspaper between the door and upper window seals on both sides, close the doors and compare how tightly each side binds up or 'grabs' the papers as you pull them free. If the bad side is looser or tighter than the "good" side, it might be something else and a door/window frame alignment by a good body shop might help.

Also run a wide bladed screwdriver up both channels and watch to see if either of the 'bad 'side channels narrows down a lot near the top. Could be this, but as they said, it's probably a motor.
As far as I know nothing major has been done.

However two points are...1. i think the previous owner left the window down in rain because the vinyl door panel is all cracked up near the window sill...

2..when the window reaches the top it appears to move forward a little in addition to going up...

Do you think it's just the track? IF so, what do I do?

Old 06-20-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
As far as I know nothing major has been done.

However two points are...1. i think the previous owner left the window down in rain because the vinyl door panel is all cracked up near the window sill...

2..when the window reaches the top it appears to move forward a little in addition to going up...

Do you think it's just the track? IF so, what do I do?
Well the moving forward at the top thing could mean the window glass itself has come loose a little from the base plate where it attaches to the regulator or motor assembly. If you're handy with tools you can carefully open up the door panel and check it out visually by "jumping" the switch connections. Its tricky and you can easily break stuff, so google the repairs first and make sure you have tools they recommend on hand when you start.

btw, don't rip or throw away the plastic liner you'll find underneath the panel. It's an important weather seal. This would be a good time to have a spare motor on hand, as well as a replacement panel [used, of course, from a wrecking yard] so when you go back you don't have to do it all over again.

You do want to operate it dry several times once you think it's fixed. And check your door seals all over again when done. Otherwise, it may have been a poor door seal that ruined the door panel, not the window being down.

Be patient and good luck. If you bol works in a body shop this would be a good time to have him come over for a couple of beers.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:10 PM

Hmm...I wish I was a good enough mechanic to figure it out, but the furthest I was able to go was taking the door panel off. Im just afraid of breaking something. i had began to peel off the plastic on the inside to reach the motor just to see if maybe something was blocking it...but now that u told me i'll be leaving it there.

I was thinking to just use the compressed air to clean off dust that might be slowing it down.

I was hoping I could do this without my mechanic gettiing involved...but looks like im trapped LOL.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
Hmm...I wish I was a good enough mechanic to figure it out, but the furthest I was able to go was taking the door panel off. Im just afraid of breaking something. i had began to peel off the plastic on the inside to reach the motor just to see if maybe something was blocking it...but now that u told me i'll be leaving it there.
Sorry if I scared you about the plastic seal. What I should have said was keep it in one piece so you can reinstall it after you are finished with your repairs. Does this help a little? btw, I doubt if "something" is blocking the window. More likely something is broken or loose.

The dynamics of power windows can be a little weird. Actually, crank windows, too. Overcoming inertia is always a little bit of a challenge. That means that starting to move it takes more force than continuing to move it. And then add to this the fact that a window at the bottom of a stage usually requires a different level of force than one at the top of a stage. What this means is that the assemblies are all over-engineered somewhat to work when they are properly installed and aligned. But whenever that changes, their relative ease of use changes, too.

You might be better advised to talk to a good body shop or automotive glass shop on this. It might save your sanity and some money in the long run. Unless you can find a good exchange door in a junk yard and just make the swap yourself.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive