Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2008, 03:40 PM

409 posts, read 1,518,107 times

Advertisements

I have driven Mercedes-Benz for most of my adult life. My first Mercedes wa a 1998 ML320 and it had loads of problems, but the dealer covered all the costs because it was an introductory model. Then after my children got a little older and I did not have to carry around a load of stuff, I got a 2001 E320 4Matic Sedan, which I was very pleased with and that car pretty much sold me on the Mercedes brand. Then in 2005 I got my current car which is a 2005 E500 4Matic Sedan. This is the best vehicle I have ever driven, but there is only one problem and that is, that I need a larger car with more trunk room, and I also want a third row. I test drove at R350 4Matic a few months ago and it was a great car with a great ride, but it felt slow because I am used to a V8 5.0 litre engine. My youngest loved it because it was so comfortable in the back. I would like to stay with Mercedes because I have a good credit relationship with them and I am friends with my saleswoman. I am looking very closely at the GL550 4Matic, because I love the styling and it looks very nice. I also like the fact that it has Mercedes' 550 engine. My husband who is a BMW enthusiast, would like me to take a look at the X5 4.8. It fits almost everything in my criteria, but I don't know if I like the BMW styling. He really wants me to get it because of the gas mileage and mechanical costs, associated with owning a Mercedes-Benz. My price range is under $95,000 and it should have AWD, lots of height in the trunk, and a V8 engine. It should also have reasonable pick-up. I would like to hear opinions of these vehicles and other recommendations.

My husband is also ready to get rid of his 1999 528i Sedan. It is a Dinan 5 and he has put a lot of work into it, but it is beginning to show its age. Right now he is looking at the ML63 AMG, Porsche Cayenne, and BMW X6. He desires something larger because he is a big guy and he likes to do home improvement, even though our house was built in 2007. I don't really know about those vehicles, could you share some information and recommendations?

- Nysee :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 04:25 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Take a look at the R series... with todays fuel prices maybe the R350CDI.

For the hubby I would recommend the The Infinity FX50 (or even FX35) over the X6.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:41 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Go with Lexus. Holds its value better, more reliable, lasts longer.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:56 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Since you're keen on German vehicles.....

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh92/Irishtom29/Panther_g_axb01.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-22-2008, 06:23 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Well it seems you're most used to driving a car but you want something bigger with more room correct? Why not take a look at the Mercedes-Benz S550? You should be able to find a new one without tons of options for around the $95,000 price point. I'm not a huge Mercedes-Benz fan myself but I do have to admit the S-Class are very nice vehicles both in and out. I'm not a fan of the GL-Class, just not my taste and their not very well known for impeccable reliability....

If I was going to go with an SUV, I'd either pick a new GMC Yukon Denali (what I drive) or a new Cadillac Escalade. With all the dealerships trying to get rid of these big SUV's, you should be able to get some nice discounts. I've seen ads advertising new, fully-loaded Chevy Tahoe's and regular GMC Yukon's for the low $30K range when the MSRP is $40K. And with all the money you'd save buying one of those instead of a Mercedes, you could EASILY afford to pay for the gas.

My $0.02.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:56 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
How about an Audi S6

Old 06-22-2008, 09:40 PM

409 posts, read 1,518,107 times
I would love to get a diesel car, but I live in suburban Chicago and there is not much diesel fuel around. My husband will not consider a Japanese car. He loves BMWs and he will only look at some American cars. Lexus does not have anything I want. The GX and LX are not appealing vehicles to me. I would love an S550, but I need something with height in the trunk because I am a home builder. I always thought that the G-Class was unreliable and that the GL was excellent Mercedes engineering. Those American vehicles are far too large and the S6 is far too small for either of us.Thanks

Old 06-22-2008, 10:01 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
He really wants me to get it because of the gas mileage and mechanical costs, associated with owning a Mercedes-Benz.
The X5's more in par with the M class, so if you're okay with it, why don't you consider an M class? I don't really see BMW's mech costs as lower (unless you're just talking about the total maintenance warranty on BMW's). When a maintenance cost is incurred, they're both not cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive