Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:34 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,108,221 times

Advertisements

the CEL has never been an issue for inspection with me - I used to have an old 85 Oldsmobile and the light was on constantly, but there was nothing wrong with the car. It passed inspection just fine even with the light on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 06:52 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,400,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
the CEL has never been an issue for inspection with me - I used to have an old 85 Oldsmobile and the light was on constantly, but there was nothing wrong with the car. It passed inspection just fine even with the light on.
I've had two different dealers in two different towns in two different decades tell me the same thing about a check engine light in a GM product, especially of the 80's vintage. GM had it set up so the light would come on in a certain range of miles and not go out. They figured most owners would go OMG and bring the car in for a checkup. The mechanics would then reset the light, sell you something you didn't need and off you go.

Once that was learned, a little dashboard work was done and out came the lightbulb.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:56 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,563,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
I've had two different dealers in two different towns in two different decades tell me the same thing about a check engine light in a GM product, especially of the 80's vintage. GM had it set up so the light would come on in a certain range of miles and not go out. They figured most owners would go OMG and bring the car in for a checkup. The mechanics would then reset the light, sell you something you didn't need and off you go.

Once that was learned, a little dashboard work was done and out came the lightbulb.
That may be so, but the OBDII set up from MY1996 forward actually tells you what is wrong!. Check engine light is almost always smog (O2Sensor)/ or safety (airbag out) related.
When we have our cars tested in Texas..they just log into the states computer system up load our cars info and like magic we get a sticker...provided it is all working within specs!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:54 AM

2,030 posts, read 4,529,274 times
I'm suprised OP didn't mention codes. My car recently had the check engine light come on. I didn't do anything at first but then the car started running sluggish. I took it to Autozone and the scanner said knock sensor. Paid $80 bucks for the part, changed it myself, the light went out and the car drives good as new (except for my crappy LOUD tires).

Old 06-27-2008, 08:57 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,931,143 times
A loose gas tank cap is enough to trigger the warning light.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,525,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Heck you don't even have to rent the code scanner.

Just take it to an Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts.

I guess you have to drive it illegally though.
I tried that earlier this year and they wouldn't do it. They said corporate stopped them after someone sued over an incorrect error reading or some such.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:05 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,571,261 times
Interesting post, DavidWood

My first thought would be to find another mechanic. Boxters have never been considered inexpensive to maintain and/or repair but . . .

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive