Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:40 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo2lowkey View Post
Why are Toyata and Honda more profitable, is it their styling, reliability,pricing, gas efficenties or just our frame of thought that foreign cars are better built.
None of the above.

The "Big 3", along with German manufacturers, have higher overhead costs. Things like: Pension funding, Employee health insurance, Good wages/benefits,etc.

Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, etc. have more freedom to shift production to where it's most economical. "Domestic" and European automakers are limited in this regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 01:31 AM

281 posts, read 1,379,649 times
The original question was if we could imagine a merge of Ford/GM... for me it sounds like:

disease company + disease company = healthy company

Never heard that this worked before.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:49 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,055 times
I think the last thing Ford needs right now is GM to drag it back down.
I'd like to think Ford is slowly revitalizing itself with it's new product introductions; vast improvements - And their choice to delay the new F-150, I believe, is a very wise one.

GM however; while it is improving it's product offering - I don't know.. I think it's having a hard time staying relevant, honestly. They lack true "segment leaders" (Maybe the new Malibu will change things in the long run) and with the likes of Pontiac and GMC, it's just product overkill.

I don't see a GM-Ford merger ever happening. I DO see Ford changing it's image and becoming profitable. GM selling both GMC AND Pontiac would do wonders.
Things need to change.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:49 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
None of the above.

The "Big 3", along with German manufacturers, have higher overhead costs. Things like: Pension funding, Employee health insurance, Good wages/benefits,etc.

Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, etc. have more freedom to shift production to where it's most economical. "Domestic" and European automakers are limited in this regard.

Are you kidding? Japanese (and some European) auto makers locate their plants in the US and employ US workers. Granted they are non-union, but they pay well and are among the best jobs in their areas.

It's the "Big 3" American companies that run all those Mexican assembly lines.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:16 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Are you kidding? Japanese (and some European) auto makers locate their plants in the US and employ US workers. Granted they are non-union, but they pay well and are among the best jobs in their areas.

It's the "Big 3" American companies that run all those Mexican assembly lines.
Nope, not kidding.

The European automakers opened North American plants because the costs were/are lower than overseas, and we had the skilled workforce that they felt they couldn't find in other low-cost countries.

The Asians opened their plants here because of issues with monetary exchange rates(yen-dollar) and they were also worried about possible backlash from american consumers.

The point that i was making, is that these foreign companies do not have the constraints of being tied to a certain location.

If Mercedes can produce the ML for less $$$ in Germany than in Alabama, is there anything to stop them from ceasing operation in AL?

If Nissan can produce an Altima for less $$$ in Japan than in TN, can they be stopped from moving out?

Old 06-28-2008, 11:40 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
How are the Big 3 tied to a certain location? Ford just announced that it would build (another) huge plant in Mexico.

I don't think it's farfetched to say that one day, the Big 3 (if they survive) won't be building ANY cars in the US. Cars will just be another on the LONG list of products that are no longer produced in the USA.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:21 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,305,342 times
that would be a nasty mess. ford makes real trucks. not plastic wana be trucks. and i used to drive gm back in the 70's and 80's when they made something worth driving. gm hasn't made a good truck since the 80's. here's a picture of one of the last good trucks gm made and i used to own it.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm112/JFRRACING/79chevypickup.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive