Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:48 PM

742 posts, read 2,068,057 times

Advertisements

You mean the British Mini? Consumer Reports rate the car below average reliability. It's mpg is poorer than a Civic or Corolla. And good luck with repairs. It's going to cost you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 02:04 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
EXCEPT for the small-car catagory. Some people, like I said, just like small cars.

Still, I'll probably get a mini next...and I need a car to get to places that public transport doesn't go, like the trails and such, but on most days I do plan on taking mass transit and/or getting a vespa.
If you want to get the full effect of the whole city thing, I would recommend public transit/ZipCars (Zipcar - Car sharing, cars by the hour or day). I don't think you said what city you are moving to, but if you are going to be in a bigger one, ZipCars can save a lot of money over actually making car payments, insurance payments, etc. Plus - no parking issues.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:16 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
Quote:
Exactly! No matter how many scientific test you show people showing that a smaller car is save, people will simply ignore the facts and, like the dumb homosapiens they are, pick a bigger vehicle based on emotion and not logic...even videos of a before and after of an SUV crash in which that useless "stability control" failed and the bloated Suburban or Yukon did a mid-highway summer-salt will not change some people's mind.

Kinetic energy is going to favor the heavier vehicle. You'll be better off even if you're driving a Civic that weighs twice as much as a Smart car. It doesn't have to be an SUV to have a significant advantage in a collision over a Smart car.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
You mean the British Mini? Consumer Reports rate the car below average reliability. It's mpg is poorer than a Civic or Corolla. And good luck with repairs. It's going to cost you!

Actually, I mean the new Mini from BMW...the British mini has not been in production for some time. Only the Prius and a couple of other cars get better mileage, and it's mileage is the same as a Corolla, if a little better in city traffic. But it is smaller and, like I said, that is a plus for me.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Kinetic energy is going to favor the heavier vehicle. You'll be better off even if you're driving a Civic that weighs twice as much as a Smart car. It doesn't have to be an SUV to have a significant advantage in a collision over a Smart car.

Again, that is ASSUMING you get hit by a large vehicle in highspeeds. If you want safety, listen to the experts (who rank the Smartcar as very safe) and, more importantly, WATCH WHAT YOU AND THE OTHER PEOPLE ON THE ROAD ARE DOING.

The safest car is one driven by someone who, INSTEAD OF TALKING ON THEIR DAMN CELL PHONE, is watching the road, no matter what the size.

A Hummer driven by an idiot is nowhere near as safe as a good driver driving a Smartcar.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:24 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Again, that is ASSUMING you get hit by a large vehicle in highspeeds. If you want safety, listen to the experts (who rank the Smartcar as very safe) and, more importantly, WATCH WHAT YOU AND THE OTHER PEOPLE ON THE ROAD ARE DOING.

The safest car is one driven by someone who, INSTEAD OF TALKING ON THEIR DAMN CELL PHONE, is watching the road, no matter what the size.

A Hummer driven by an idiot is nowhere near as safe as a good driver driving a Smartcar.
This is an aweful arguement. I ride a bicycle on the road to work and back a few days a week, and this is the same defense. A safe car is an insurance policy. It isn't injury prevention, it is saying if that idiot who drinks and drives t-bones you, will you come out of it? I wear a helmet when I am biking not because I ride dangerously, but because there are idiots out there who might hit me no matter what I do.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:20 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
Quote:

Everything is large compared to a Smart. Even a Civic has almost twice the mass.

And it doesn't even take high speeds. In a rear-end collision at a stop light the Smart is still going to take the brunt of the impact forces.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:37 AM

742 posts, read 2,068,057 times
Your response is rather contradicting. On the one hand, you are touting the pint-size SmartCar as "very safe".
Quote:
On the other, you claimed that size isn't a factor at all when it comes to safety.
Quote:
Make up your mind. SmartCar or responsible driving, which is the safest? A SmartCar, however safe, is not going to guarantee you'll survive an accident. In fact, you can't even predict how the next driver is going to conduct himself/herself. Frankly, to even assume that actual road collisions are anything like the 35mph to 42mph crash-tests is stupid. When a semi- or a Yukon is ramming head-on to your SmartCar at 60mph to 70mph, you're as good as dead.

VP, I'll try not to patronize you. But if this is a repeat of your behavior in the Relationships sub-forum, there's going to be hell to pay. Judging by your previous posts on this thread, a familiar pattern is forming.
Quote:
Please don't answer, as it will just reveal more of the stupidity that my fellow homosapians have been demonstrating since the dawn of time.
Just because someone does not agree with you does not mean they have to be wrong.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This is an aweful arguement. I ride a bicycle on the road to work and back a few days a week, and this is the same defense. A safe car is an insurance policy. It isn't injury prevention, it is saying if that idiot who drinks and drives t-bones you, will you come out of it? I wear a helmet when I am biking not because I ride dangerously, but because there are idiots out there who might hit me no matter what I do.

Who is safer, you, on a bike, riding responsibly, or a drunken idiot on the road in a Yukon?

Also, as it has been said, yes, the SmartCar is crashed tested by experts who say it's save and, that is besides the point of DEFENSIVE driving is what decides the bulk of driver safety...the chances of someone coming out of nowhere and ramming into the rear or your vehicle while stopped is slim, but the chances of someone cutting you off at high speeds is real...

...who is saver getting cut off at high speeds, a GOOD driver in a smarcat, who's watching the road and has given himself the necessary car-lenghths to get out the way...or an IDIOT on his cell phone while driving a Escalade and tailgating?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Everything is large compared to a Smart. Even a Civic has almost twice the mass.

And it doesn't even take high speeds. In a rear-end collision at a stop light the Smart is still going to take the brunt of the impact forces.

Yes, butt two things: one, the SmartCar has a steel frame, so even taking the blunt of the impact, it is a VERY solidly build vehicle, and two, getting rear-ended at a stop light is nowhere near as likely a scenario as an accident while in motion on the highway and, like I've been saying, a SmartCar with a good driver would have an advantage of being able to get out the way and avoid injury and an accident.

A big vehicle is nowhere near as valuable as a good driver.

Want to be safe on the highway? Drive a Panzer Tank to work....almost as practical as a Denali.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive