Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 01:55 PM

241 posts, read 998,389 times

Advertisements

My apt was broken into by my second ex during our divorce. He didn't do anything but use my bathroom and the local police had a great laugh about it. I never drove a vehicle that anyone would want to steal till last yr and that was an '05 Caddy that we got rid of after 4 months and got a pickup.

I feel sorry for anyone who would even try to break into my house cuz my 175 lb Rotty would love to have a lil something different added to his diet once in a while, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 01:58 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,456 times
Got lucky with Block Buster, DBNN!! Glad they were understanding.

But,,,oh my goodness yes, I have been 'robbed'! And it was a neighbor!

I married the first time at age 17. We bought a house shortly after we discovered I was pregnant. The neighbors next door seemed ok, my husband knew them because the father was on the Fire dept. with him.

He had daughters that were very close to my age, and after Alex was born, they would come over and visit. Even babysat a few times.

I used to keep my wedding gown hanging in the closet in the den. One of the girls had come to visit and was talking about her upcoming wedding ( she was 19, he was 40! No lie! but anyway...) and I pulled out my dress and showed it to her. The veil was on the hanger too, and she commented on how pretty it was. I had made it myself, along with the flowers I carried in my wedding.

So, time went on, she married, and one day called and asked me to come and see her new house.

She was giving me a tour of the bedroom, opened up the closet - and there was my veil! I didn't even know it was missing!

I knew immediately what had happened, and I asked her where she got it. She told me from a bridal store in the city. (yeah, right.) I said, "funny, it looks just like mine. It is mine, Brenda! I forgot I let you borrow it!" I tried to be smooth, thinking she would give in, know she was caught, and give it back - but she absolutely would not admit it!!

To this day, I have lost to that family a cedar chest I allowed one of the girls to borrow, maternity clothes I loaned to the son's wife, and a china doll my grandmother had given me ( the grandchild took it home one day, and I told her she could play with it for a day or so.)

When I attempted to collect my things - the mother had the nerve to tell me she had never recieved anything from me, nor had her family - all the while I was standing her kitchen, looking at my cedar chest and china doll in the living room. I pointed them out and she told me she had bought those things at a flea market!

Talk about gutsy.

Needless to say, I have learned alot since I was 19, and never ever loan anything to anyone except extremely close friends, and even then, I only give it if I don't want it and do not expect to get it back.

Thankfully, my house has never been ransacked, but the horrible feeling you have about someone having been there never goes away.

My car - no, thank goodness. I drive a hunk of junk - I suppose they don't expect much!

Oh, but I owned a Mercury Capri once, little red rag top - and it was 'keyed' by a girl from my office who had been fired. I suppose she thought I had something to do with it ( I didn't)...couldn't prove it, but I knew it was her.
Some people just should NOT be allowed out in public.

KimmieyKY

Old 01-18-2007, 04:31 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,195 times
I have had my POS (piece of....)1988 White Hyundai Excel hatchback stolen in 1997 in beautiful Philadelphia, only to find it abandoned 3 months later!! So I got it back! My husband had his car broken into and all of his stereo equipment stolen from it. My parents had their house broken into by a serial robber, who later on broke into an old man's house and beat him so bad that he almost killed him...so the cops finally caught him and now he's in jail for 40+.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:52 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Yes, unfortunately I've had my cars broken into 3 times... once they got my radio, another time they took a bunch of stuff (radio, CDs, leather jacket, etc.), and then I had my cell phone taken. Really ticked me off, especially the CDs which was basically my whole collection. My family's house was also robbed twice, back when we lived in San Mateo park. One time we came home during the robbery, and he ran out the back door... but still managed to get some expensive jewelry, silver place-settings, and some other valuable stuff. It's really awful when your personal space is violated, isn't it? The material things don't matter so much, especially since the expensive things were insured, but it just feels so invasive. Now I have a dog, who wouldn't let anyone get through the door... he's not as big as "my3arabs" dog, but has a mean bark & the German Shepherd protective instincts.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:48 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,318 times
The first story I have to tell is, one night my husband and I went to bed, we didn't hear anything at all, but woke up the next day to find out that someone tried to break in to our home.
They cut themselves trying, left a unopened bag of dried bananas at the bottom steps by the front door. Turned out months later, we were told it was one of the kids who used to live here before we bought the house, got drunk, and thought he still lived here. lol
The second time I think the old neighbors wanted to give us a scare, they took a rock and broke our daughters window, she is now 12 and still will not sleep by herself because of that reason. We have no problems with our cars thank goodness.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:11 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
I went to a brunch at a restaurant in Hollywood, and left the car door unlocked. Of course, when I came back my portable tape player and my bag of cassette tapes were gone. (No one would want such things now; this was back in 1990! )

Someone tried to break into my daughter's car a couple of years ago, and messed up the lock just enough that she now has to get into the car by unlocking the passenger door. Several of the people in my apartment complex have had their cars either vandalized or stolen, because we're one of only two complexes in the entire alley that don't have gated parking!

I knew someone who's 280ZX was stolen right from his apartment parking space (no secured parking, unfortunately). The car was found a couple of days later in Compton, completely stripped. People never cease to amaze me!

Old 01-19-2007, 11:38 AM

346 posts, read 2,140,690 times
I had my car broken into in Anaheim and my CD player was stolen. Luckily I got about 1000 bucks for it from the Insurance company and replaced it with a 300 dollar one and kept the rest of the money. I called the Anaheim PD to report it and they basically laughed at me and told me it was not a priority and they wouldn't even come investigate. This was in a gated apartment complex. The gated thing is a joke... false sense of security for people. I did have this weird experience when I lived in Fullerton I was doing laundry in the laundry room and when I came back my bath mat and towels I was washing had been taken. About a month later I was over visiting some neighbors I just met and saw my bath mat and towels in their bathroom when I used it! I confronted them about it and they fessed up but wouldn't give them back!! Ghetto!

Old 01-19-2007, 11:39 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,739 times
Default Great story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
I've had my car stollen. When I was 20, I had a Geo Tracker...I was on my way to drop something off at someone's house, on a main street, in the town I grew up in. I pulled up to the house, got out (stupid me, I was used to it being a safe area so I never shut the car off) and went up to the front door. I opened their mail slot, dropped the books into it, turned around and my car was gone. I mean gone...not up the block, not down the block, vanished into thin air and I never even heard it pull away. It was so weird, that I actually started walking up the hill thinking maybe I hadn't even parked right there. When the shock wore off after about 2 minutes, I ran to this little corner store and called my town's police and my dad. I made the report, yada, yada...and my dad, being a "big city" police officer drove me all over the City of Newark looking into all the "secret" spots car theifs and drug dealers hid cars or burned them. Nothing. Next thing, my cousin, who was also a police officer, calls my dad to tell him that he heard on the police scanner that a report of a man in a black Geo Tracker robbed a gas station on Route 22 in Union (nowhere near my house). He had pulled in for gas and before the attendant could remove the pump he pulled away. Then two days later, we get a phone call that they picked up my car and the theif. He was in convenience store in Woodbridge, NJ, tried to grab a woman's purse and run out, the woman chased him, tackled him and held him down until the cops came (how funny is that!!!). We get to the police station to claim my car, it was covered in mud from 4-wheeling, it was filled with food containers, soda cans, shaving equipment, t-shirts, socks and, here's the best part, two crack pipes. Nice, right? My purse was also in there, but the cash was gone, two credit cards had been used on gas and a jewelry purchase in NYC and my fake ID was still in there (my dad was p.o.'d at me and made me tell the police that I didn't know who it belonged to....there went my clubbing days for the next 5 months until my 21st bday.)Turns out that he was the son of another police officer that my dad had been friends with for 20-something years. The son however, had no idea who I was, he robbed a random car and it happened to be mine. My dad of course, felt we couldn't press charges because of who his dad was and I ended up on a trip to Las Vegas 6 months later (with the PBA convention) where I spent the whole plane trip and the whole week in Vegas hearing "I'm sorry for what our son did" from his parents because they were on the trip too....the irony!!!!! Ugh.
You're quite the storyteller!

Old 01-20-2007, 01:38 PM

464 posts, read 752,971 times
In college I livedin a cute apartment with by girlfriend, we had a another friend over drinking and wathching T.V. all fell asleep on the floor, someone cut a piece of the window out and opened the window and stole my purse from my bedroom. All 3 of us slept thru it with out knowing, very scary. My Dad made us move into a better neighborhood in Long Beach, CA, good thing because a few months later police show up at the door thinking I broke into the apartment, found my keys and traced them back to me, scary I did have a police report.

You will love this one, in college again went to Las Vegas with the band for a football game and about 7 of us girls decide to stay in one room. Our room was broken into and all of our wallets were stolen, and they left the door to our room open, we woke up to some old guy looking at us from the hall. Police said probably a hooker with an old room key (the 80's).

Last year my boys drove my car (suburban) and forgot to lock the doors. They stole all the CD's and spare change in the car, but we were lucky they didn't take the stero or DVD player.

Been lucky that we have never been hurt.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:31 AM

892 posts, read 2,371,715 times
I had my car broken into while at work. It was a '64 bug with an alarm on it, Viper which was the best back then. They popped the back seat side window out (alarm never went off) and took my pull out Kenwood stereo, cd's, Kenwood carrying case which was also my purse and what pissed me off most was my cigarettes because I really needed one after that. I came home and kicked a hole in the wall in my house and then bummed a cigarette off the neighbor, which was big because they smioked those cheapest cigarettes you could buy and I was a picky smoker, only liked my camel lights.
I had someone steal my cd's out of the same car a few months later. Was my fault, I always lock it but it was very hot and I didn't want to roll up the windows to just run in the liquor store real quick. I even parked right in front of the door to the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive