U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 06:13 PM

314 posts, read 1,347,746 times

Advertisements

My license plate was stolen along with the registration stickers. How do I ensure that neither the license plates nor the stickers are stolen next time around? Would a license plate frame and cover help? Is it legal in CA (where I am from)?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 06:54 PM

9,527 posts, read 29,006,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevcy View Post
My license plate was stolen along with the registration stickers. How do I ensure that neither the license plates nor the stickers are stolen next time around? Would a license plate frame and cover help? Is it legal in CA (where I am from)?

Thanks
Definitely a BAD THING, jeevcy.

Actually, an Illegal Cover is not much help and will only give the cops an excuse to stop you, however, there are precautions available. The most security for the buck is a simple set of bolts that cannot be unscrewed without a special tool.

A couple more . . . connect the plate to an alarm and/or a "live wire" so the thief gets a mega-shock instead of the plate.

Good Luck

Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 PM

48,507 posts, read 90,493,875 times
Torx screw are avilable for this at any hardware stroe. Bring the others with you.Traps like a hotwire are illeagl in most states.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 PM

630 posts, read 1,160,989 times
hehe try going to Fastenal and have them make you bolts for your liscense plate that require a custom tool to remove. You'll never get it stolen after that . lol oh and put some locktight on the threads as well. hehe

Old 07-10-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Traps like a hotwire are illeagl in most states.
You're probably right but I bet it would be lots of fun to watch!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:51 PM

14,864 posts, read 39,695,244 times
You DID call the police, right? YOU BETTER ASAP!!!! More than likely by now they might be on some other innocent persons car. They use them for their getaway car then "ditch" them by swapping them out on another car. The unsuspecting souls don't have a clue till they MIGHT get stopped for having stolen plates. Right now w/ gas prices they use them while stealing gas.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
You DID call the police, right? YOU BETTER ASAP!!!! More than likely by now they might be on some other innocent persons car. They use them for their getaway car then "ditch" them by swapping them out on another car. The unsuspecting souls don't have a clue till they MIGHT get stopped for having stolen plates. Right now w/ gas prices they use them while stealing gas.
Great point / advice, Momof2.

This is an obscure advantage to PLPs (Personalized License Plates) because they are less likely to be stolen.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:55 AM

15,370 posts, read 36,701,142 times
Here in NV it is not unusual for the Sticker to be stolen and used on someones expired plates.

Use a sharp knife and make several cuts thru the sticker it makes it nearly impossible to remove without leaving one piece of the colored sticker on the plate.....this is enough for the police to verify that you did in fact have a sticker.....

Old 07-11-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Here in NV it is not unusual for the Sticker to be stolen and used on someones expired plates.

Use a sharp knife and make several cuts thru the sticker it makes it nearly impossible to remove without leaving one piece of the colored sticker on the plate.....this is enough for the police to verify that you did in fact have a sticker.....
Similar problem down here, dynimagelv.

Finally the Arizona DMV got smart and includes the actual License Plate Number to the little renewal sticker.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:01 PM

14,864 posts, read 39,695,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post

Texas stopped doing those years ago because of that problem. They even had them w/ the cut "X" in them to prevent the lifting of them from the plates. Now it is a window sticker above the inspection sticker on the inside of the windshield.

One of our neighbors had their plates stolen. They noticed it the next day and called the police. A few days later an elderly lady was stopped for driving a car w/ "Stolen Plates". It was HER car but not HER plates. It was our neighobrs plates. She had no clue from what they said and was scared to death. Most people don't look at their plates on a daily basis much less know their number. So it is easy for the criminals to swap them out as they go along and keep rotating them. I'm sure a lot of people don't report stolen plates especially if it is a car they don't use often. Once the crook gets one set that is all they need to keep the "circle" going. People don't notice and therefore the police are not aware it is a problem and are not watching for it.

I like the idea of the screw/bolt that makes it hard to remove. I may just do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive