Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:44 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,937,269 times

Advertisements

I gottcha! Charge stations!!!!! We have those here in LA. Even though regular cars park there. But they still can be towed away if an electric car needs it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 01:47 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
I gottcha! Charge stations!!!!! We have those here in LA. Even though regular cars park there. But they still can be towed away if an electric car needs it.
yea thats it! I didn't know the name for it heh sorry. Cool, California has everything!

Old 08-08-2008, 02:45 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I won't hop into an electric car until has at least 300 mile range and solar panels just in case. I'm scared of driving around all of sudden having it just stop.
If Chevy does what they say with the Volt it will have a range of over 600 miles on 6-8 gallons of gas, and 40 miles on electric. The gas engine never powers the car, it just charges the batteries as you drive.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:07 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Geos,

Thank you for your concern and need to bring this information to our attention.

There was a thread on GM and the Chevy Volt back in early July, you can read it here http:////www.city-data.com/forum/automotive/375414-who-killed-electric-car.html .

If you feel the need to continue spreading false information regarding the Chevy Volt program either now or in the future, please contact us at your convenience. We will be more than happy to debate the topic with you.
As long as industry shills continue spreading false industry propaganda I will oppose you and correct you. The Volt is nothing but a PR ploy. NiMH batteries are PROVEN in millions of miles of use. The research is already done; they've been PROVEN reliable. "Research" is a typical industry delaying tactic to maintain the status quo.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
As long as industry shills continue spreading false industry propaganda I will oppose you and correct you. The Volt is nothing but a PR ploy. NiMH batteries are PROVEN in millions of miles of use. The research is already done; they've been PROVEN reliable. "Research" is a typical industry delaying tactic to maintain the status quo.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:12 PM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Industry shill? My, getting personal right off the bat, aren't we? Shall I now call you a hysterical ecological fashionista?

Did you even read the thread that I supplied? Did you even attempt to rebut any of the points brought up?

Can you explain to us all how a company like GM could afford to sell a car at $25,000 when it cost them $50,000 to build them? Remember, this is the company that's currently underwater to the tune of roughly $40 billion dollars; the company that lost $15 billion just last quarter.

NiMH batteries are PROVEN? Can you provide a source for your information? If NiMH batteries are proven, then why is GM using Lithium-ion battery technology in the Chevy Volt?

The Volt is a PR ploy? GM is bleeding to death right now, or haven't you noticed? According to you they've got the time to spend what remaining cash that they have on hand on a PR ploy? Tell me, this actually makes sense to you?

Did you notice that the Volt is a different vehicle than the EV-1? That the Volt will use a different concept for it's power train? A concept that's also being actively worked by both Toyota and Honda right now? Are Toyota and Honda also just pursuing this technology just for a PR ploy?

If the research on fully electric cars has already been done and the technology was ready to go back in 2000, why haven't companies like Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Daimler, Volkswagen, Fiat, Peugeot or Hyundai introduced a plug-in car that's run on only NiMH batteries? Maybe it's a world-wide plot, maybe each and every one of the automobile companies in the world are deviously controlled by the oil companies.

You will oppose and correct me? You've certainly opposed me, but you haven't corrected me, merely contradicted me. Sort of like when a two year old doesn't get his way. Maybe next time you should type your correction in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, so it will look like you're stomping your feet.

If you respond, please try to bring in actual, supported facts, not another case of the vapors, KK?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:21 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
They have realised it for years. But just like the prius with batteries come with alot of problems such as if expanded we have a disposal problem. Everything has a price on the environamnt and some are overall down right expensive.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:43 AM

78,369 posts, read 60,566,039 times
This forum is being over-run by wild eyed crazy people that post made up conspiracy, can't hold a reasoned discussion, can't source their claims and then accuse you of being in on "the conspiracy" when you confront them. I have one over in political talking about "wheapons grade nuclear" with regards to anthrax. <sigh>

This forum needs to bring back negative rep or perhaps there is an ignore feature somewhere. Really, I honestly believe some of these people are mentally ill and they quickly drag threads into the toilet.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
^^^There is an ignore feature. Go to your "My Settings" page. Under the "Your Control Panel" box on the left side, look under "Settings and Options" and there you will find the "Edit Ignore List" function.

Unfortunately, the ignore function is of limited use because when someone on your ignore list is quoted by someone else, the ignored poster's twaddle shows up. So the ignore list is of very limited utility when a troll succeeds in monopolizing a thread.

I stay away from the Politics and Other Controversies forum because it honestly depresses me how little critical reasoning skills people have and, frighteningly enough, how little they bring to the voting booth with them.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:24 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I won't hop into an electric car until has at least 300 mile range and solar panels just in case. I'm scared of driving around all of sudden having it just stop.
I dunno, I think that we already deal with that on a daily basis (particularly if you drive my car). It's a lot harder to kill the Universal Motor than the internal combustion engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive