Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 07:22 PM

54,496 posts, read 33,866,725 times

Advertisements

Driving a standard might be tricky at first, but once you get used to it, you'll enjoy it because you'll have more control on the vehicle than automatics. You just need to get the perfect clutch foot, and right hand coordination in the timing and operating the clutch and shifting. You can practice with the vehicle not running to get the coordination down. The trickiest part in driving a standard is taking off from stand-still because you have to engage the clutch (lift your foot off the pedal) gradually until the vehicle gains speed so it won't stall. One thing you should also know, if you let the engine rev at a high RPM in lower gears, you'll waste gasoline, so you'll have to shift to a higher gear at the right time to avoid over-revving the engine.

There are many other things you can do in driving a standard that will help the gas mileage, and I'm sure you'll learn about them as you gain experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 07:43 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Thats true, If you drive a Semi with a Non-Synchro Gearbox "Crash Box"?But you can also get a Semi with Synchro, Or even an Auto gearbox.
Yep! My Ford F150 has a 5-speed manual and my Freightliner has a 10-speed autoshift! I enjoyed shifting a big truck and got good at "floating" the gears. But there's nothing like not having to shift in stop-and-go traffic! (The only thing I miss is not being able to start out in 3rd gear in snow. These new transmissions with a worthless "anti-spin" system are a lot tougher to drive on snow...)

Old 07-20-2008, 08:07 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
You aren't kidding, Studedude..once when my husband was about to roll his '79 CJ5, he had to hand me his cup of coffee. Ouch.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:41 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
sometimes, it is best to get a civic, and go auto? or the fit? 2009!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:27 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
No its not hard driving a standard. I think after the learning experience of learning it and getting comfortable with the clutch and when to shift, its really very easy. I thought I would never learn in the beginning but for some reason I took to the standard and its all I ever buy. I have had them for years and the only time I drive a automatic is when I rent a car. You will be fine, just take it slow until you reach your comfort level especially on hills.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:40 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
The thing about learning to drive a stick is at first you will be paying a lot of concious attention to working the clutch and shifting the gears, just like any other coordinated physical task. After you learn how to do it, IIRC it's actually a different part of your brain that takes over the task, your brain essentially "writes a macro" for starting off in first, for shifting up, shifting down, etc. You will know this has happened the first time you reach down to shift into 5th and the stick is already there. Point being, at first it's harder than an automatic, you don't need to be in downtown Seattle for example for your first few stickshift driving sessions. But once you get the hang of it, it's not any harder to drive a stick than an autobox.

If at all possible learn to drive a stick from a professional driving instructor in their school car. Not from a family member in their car. Actually an old beater out in a pasture is probably better than in your dad's/uncle's car. Things like using the handbrake to hold on a hill can be got from books, particularly recommend those by Sir Jackie Stewart.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 07-21-2008 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Clarify and expand

Old 10-27-2008, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,067 times
does it hurt your car if you dont push the clutch in to take the car out of gear ? but obviously push the clutch in when putting the car into gear
comments??????????

Old 10-28-2008, 10:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotter44 View Post
does it hurt your car if you dont push the clutch in to take the car out of gear ? but obviously push the clutch in when putting the car into gear
comments??????????
Under most circumstances it doesn't hurt to take it out of gear without using the clutch. However, if there's any load on the driveline, such as engine braking, it grinds the teeth on the gear and selector collar. Whether that would do enough damage over the lifetime of the car to matter... probably not.

BTW, there is a way to shift gears without using the clutch. I do it all the time, though it's a lot easier when you're upshifting than downshifting. The only exception is to put it in gear from a standstill while the engine is running, in that case you'll always need the clutch. But once you're in motion you don't really need the clutch any more. Saves wear and tear on the clutch if you can shift without using it. Of course the tradeoff is it increases wear and tear on the synchros.... and it's a lot cheaper and easier to replace a clutch than to replace synchros. So not using the clutch is a habit I really should try to get out of.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:11 AM

605 posts, read 2,989,960 times
I drive a stick not because it is a better driving experience, or I need to be in control, or it gives me better gas mileage...an automatic transmission was a $1400 option on my car. I chose a 6-speed manual transmission and put the money saved into nicer wheels/tires. Another plus: no one borrows my car because they can't drive sticks! Win-win!

Old 10-29-2008, 11:44 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
I know standards drink up less gas, but it can also be very complicated to drive too. How hard is it?
No offense, but if you have to ask that question, you shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive