Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 06:23 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times

Advertisements

I think I'd rather see them get us lower gas prices than make us drive 55. It didn't work in the 70's so what makes them think it's gonna work now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 09:29 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
Going back to 55mph would be like mass economic murder by congress!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I think I would much rather see americans face reality. A reality that says we are on a collision course with some real hardships in this country. I honestly would not be irritated if the speed was dropped to 55 or if it stays as it is now. I am more concerned that way to many americans and politicians are not taking the entire situation for what it is. A RED WARNING FLAG OF THE TIMES. The gas I am afraid is going to be well on its way to rival Europe and Japan approx $9.00 a gallon. I don't think that it will reach that level in 08 but I do believe sometime in 09 we will be at $6.00. Of course that price leads other commodities from food to utilities etc to raise prices. Its a serious matter and something has to done and promptly. I don't feel much of anything is being done. If they want to lower the speed to 55 and it is being enforced at that speed at least in metro areas, well thats ok with me. At least something would be done because nothing is being done right now as far as Im concerned. I don't just blame the politicians and city officials for that lack of accomplishment either, I blame much of the american population for this problem also.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 07-16-2008 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-16-2008, 09:33 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
A vehicle driving at 55 MPH uses less fuel per unit distance than a vehicle driving at 65 or 70 MPH. This is an indisputable fact of physics. A lower speed limit will reduce the demand for and increase the supply of oil, all else equal.

Elementary economic theory suggests that supply and demand are intimately related to price - one would reason that lower demand and increased supply will result a lower price. And I do think gas prices will drop if a lower speed limit is implemented...The degree of price drop is certainly debateable as the market for oil is far, far from a "free market" theory.
BUT WHAT ABOUT ALL THE WASTED TIME? my time is worth a lot TO ME many, many gallons of fuel!!!!many more than my car would save in wasting my time looking at the grass grow under my tires!

Old 07-16-2008, 11:00 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
The gas I am afraid is going to be well on its way to rival Europe and Japan approx $9.00 a gallon.
Gas costs about $4 in Europe too, its just taxed an additional $5 there, while its taxed less than $1 here.

Quote:
At least something would be done because nothing is being done right now as far as Im concerned.
Small car sales are through the roof, large car and SUV sales are dead, and American oil consumption is down 10% since last year when gas was $3.50/gal. Thats with about a 50¢ difference to where the cost of gas is really effecting people. At $5, you will see even more dramatic drop in consumption.

A national highway speed limit has nothing to do with limiting consumption - remember the highest percentage of traffic is in cities and suburbia where speed limits are 35 mph.

Let the free market correct itself.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:35 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post

A national highway speed limit has nothing to do with limiting consumption - remember the highest percentage of traffic is in cities and suburbia where speed limits are 35 mph.

Let the free market correct itself.

That addresses another problem. Most vehicles, with automatic transmissions, do not go into overdrive and torque converter lock up below 40 MPH. Wasting much more fuel than driving 65.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:00 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No, "Congress" is not considering a national 55mph speed limit. One irrelevant curmudgeon in Congress has proposed it and, properly so, will be thoroughly ignored.

Why do we have to keep flogging this same topic over and over again anyway?

Because the irrelevant curmudgeons in Congress far outnumber the thinkers.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:48 AM

459 posts, read 2,228,301 times
The argument over value of time is interesting. If we think of a scenario; say gas in your town was typically $4, but one station in town was offering gas for $3.40. People would be lined up for miles waiting to fill up at this station (and I’ve seen people line up to save 3 cents per gallon, so there is no question people will line up in mass for 60 cents).

You could get the very same effect as paying $3.40 by buying the $4 gas somewhere else and slowing your vehicle down to 55 mph. Yet most people won’t even consider it – their time is too valuable.

So their time is too valuable to slow down 10 or 15 mph, but not valuable enough to wait in line to use a gas pump?

Old 07-18-2008, 09:38 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
This is so dumb... people/company time is worth much more than a gallon of gas over a 1000 miles of driving. This is also un-Constitutional to a degree. Only ignorant fools or government people themselves support this.
you must do an awful lotta miles on company time?

Old 07-18-2008, 09:48 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
This one really *#sses me off! Why not find a better way than infringing on my most valuable commodity-time. What do y'all think about this stupid idea?

you'll be surprised how little time you save by speeding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive