Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:07 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,375,552 times

Advertisements

Lets say I am going to buy a new car, I don't have to negotiate based on financing, my financing is already in place.

My question really is, if I am trading in a car, do I negotiate the price of the car I am buying first or do I tell them about the trade in.

I have a 2000 Expedition but I am only buying a car that will cost about 15-1600 based on what is on the sticker.

I am not even sure it will be a good idea to trade in, in these circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 08:41 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,658,188 times
Quote:
My question really is, if I am trading in a car, do I negotiate the price of the car I am buying first or do I tell them about the trade in.
It's ALWAYS best to negotiate the price of the car without telling them about the trade-in. Sometimes dealers try to be sneaky and pop a question in there about a trade-in but don't flat-out tell them you're trading a vehicle (especially an SUV). Make SURE that after you're done negotiating, you have them WRITE DOWN the agreed price on the vehicle you're purchasing THEN tell them about a trade in but make sure you now concern yourself only on the vehicle you're trading in, don't let them bring up the vehicle you're purchasing as the price is already set.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
It's ALWAYS best to negotiate the price of the car without telling them about the trade-in. Sometimes dealers try to be sneaky and pop a question in there about a trade-in but don't flat-out tell them you're trading a vehicle (especially an SUV). Make SURE that after you're done negotiating, you have them WRITE DOWN the agreed price on the vehicle you're purchasing THEN tell them about a trade in but make sure you now concern yourself only on the vehicle you're trading in, don't let them bring up the vehicle you're purchasing as the price is already set.
Thank you, thats what I thought the process should be but wasn't certain.
Any other advice?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:49 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,658,188 times
Quote:
Any other advice?
Google "Buying a car" and you'll get a ton more advice that I couldn't possibly sum up. Mainly just make sure you know what you're buying, don't pay any extra "fees" the ONLY fee that SHOULD be on a new car would be the destination charge which would be around $700 give or take but I'd argue anything else put on the sticker.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:50 PM

13,915 posts, read 39,176,874 times
That the best if go trade in!!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:59 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,355,177 times
You should look at the Kelly Bluebook (online should have data) which gives you the estimate for value on new and used cars. Also, someone said go to Carmax and see what they will pay you. This gives you the approx. range. Also, use the guide to check new car prices.

You don't want to tell them about the trade in. You want to know the approx. value from other places before doing anything. Many people say selling by private sell is likely to be the best option (most work though).

You may also try car buying services like Costco, Credit Unions, AAA? (not sure), Sam's Club, etc...

This was interesting:
http://www.karlgrobl.com/EquipmentRe...gSellinCar.htm

Last edited by f_m; 07-16-2008 at 09:07 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 09:25 PM

Thanks F_M, I hadn't thought of checking out what Carmax would give me, I have heard they buy cars even if you aren't buying one from them.

I have checked the blue book price but I am affraid because its a gas guzzler that I won't get as much out of the truck.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:06 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,412,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I have checked the blue book price but I am affraid because its a gas guzzler that I won't get as much out of the truck.
You're right in thinking that your Explorer won't be in huge demand. Just the same, you should try to get an accurate measure of what these vehicles are selling for in your area. KBB and some of the other online sites may not accurately reflect current pricing because conditions have changed a lot in the last 6-12 months. I would recommend looking at similar Explorers that are for sale in your area. Check out newspaper classified ads and various web sites (cars.com, autotrader.com, etc) to get a feel for the market. If you're trading your car in, you won't expect to get retail value for it. Just the same, at least you will have a figure in mind to work with. Then you can compare the trade-in value with the retail value to decide if you want to trade the Explorer or sell it yourself.

My biggest rule with regard to car buying: don't fall in love with a specific car! More people overpay based on emotion than anything else. Remember that there will always be another car just like the one you're looking at. If you can't get the deal you want, move on.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:50 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,155,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Google "Buying a car" and you'll get a ton more advice that I couldn't possibly sum up. Mainly just make sure you know what you're buying, don't pay any extra "fees" the ONLY fee that SHOULD be on a new car would be the destination charge which would be around $700 give or take but I'd argue anything else put on the sticker.
While I agree with you Speedy, I have found that Florida has a bit of a problem here. Though I haven't lived there myself, my parents retired to Florida and have lived there for over 15 years, or three vehicle purchase cycles for my dad.

In Florida, he has ALWAYS had to pay something called a "vehicle acquisition fee" that he had never paid anywhere else in the country (nor have I). He is an old fashioned hard line price negotiator, and he had originally repeatedly left dealerships over refusing to pay this fee. Eventually, the other condo folks told him it will not be waived, and the fee is just part of the price of buying a vehicle in Florida. Apparently the practice is done all through the state, my parents are in West Palm Beach but my dad ran into the same problem when inquiring about buying the vehicle in Orlando instead of West Palm Beach.

I can't vouch for the entire state, but this has been his experience, it applies to leases and outright purchases. My brother-in-law, also located in Florida, ended up purchasing his Nissan Z up in Georgia to get away from paying this fee (I think it was a few hundred $).

Just wanted to add this little insight about what might be a local problem with your advice in Florida.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,765,788 times
The other thing to watch out for is, "What do you want your monthly payments to be?" DO NOT ANSWER THIS!!!! Just keep telling them you want THE bottom dollar on the PURCHASE PRICE and are not concerned w/ the monthly payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive