Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 01:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Trust me, I understand the way business thinks. You selected an SUV, knowing full well you didn't "need it", and knowing that the law didn't prohibit it, to maximize what you got out of it at tax time. That's gaming the system and is inherently fraudulent, since I know for a fact that there's no way you could have substantiated the need for an SUV. A regular company vehicle, registered in the company name, sure. An SUV? No way you could have substantiated it. I'm not accusing you of falsifying anything and quite frankly, if you can sleep at night knowing you game the tax code, by all means, do you. All I'm saying is, at least admit you purposely gamed the system to get what you wanted, because that's exactly what you did.
I sleep fine. My wife sleeps fine. We "gamed" nothing. We took the allowances that were allowed by law. I could do the same with the Maybach also - I noticed you did not object to that one -

And, companies have SUV's for their Execs - and all the Execs do is drive them to work, home, the Golf Course, and dinner at Mortons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 02:00 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Revelated - tell you what you need to do: The next time you go to your doctor, drive through the parking area where the Doctors park. And, wherever you see an SUV parked - turn that Doctor in - because, according to you - they don't need that vehicle. But, I can guarantee you -- that each one of them is taking a legal tax deduction for their SUV's (and Mercedes, and Lexus)
I've already talked to doctors about it. They openly admit gaming the system for personal benefit. And I respect them for it though I don't agree with the moral issues behind it.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:03 PM

There are no "moral" issues here

There is a line from the movie "The Godfather" that I think fits here:

Nothing Personal - Strictly Business

There is nothing immoral about driving an SUV - NONE -

Old 07-20-2008, 02:06 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
It's not about driving an SUV. You absolutely missed the point. Last verse.

Your second example about executives is moot. If an executive drives an SUV, it's on his personal SSN, not the company tax ID number and not exempted. Do you understand the difference now?

If a guy making $400,000/year wants to buy an SUV with his own money and be responsible for the tax with his own money, that's cool for him. But a guy who creates multiple business entities under a single residence and then takes separate exemptions because he wants to own multiple SUVs with absolutely no intent to use them for true business purpose other than commuting to work (which doesn't really meet the definition of "using it for business"), I have an issue. Sorry.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
It's not about driving an SUV. You absolutely missed the point. Last verse.

Your second example about executives is moot. If an executive drives an SUV, it's on his personal SSN, not the company tax ID number and not exempted. Do you understand the difference now?
You missed MY point - it is a COMPANY vehicle - driven by the EXEC - it is deducted as a BUSINESS EXPENSE

Do you now understand the difference ?

Old 07-20-2008, 06:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Creation vs. enforcement means nothing regarding audit eligibility. The mark of whether a company is to be audited is to determine if there is a gap in the operational or fiscal function that then would call for an adjustment of the law.

By auditing the IRS you bring to light various tax infractions which then highlight gaping holes in the tax code. Right now people claim these holes exist by using numbers and people don't listen. An audit performed by a credible organization of actual tax documents and then a formal report provided to the government and subject to FOIA won't be ignored.
If you honestly think the large corporations in this country would ever let this happen, you completely misunderstand how things work. They will never allow an audit of this type because there is a chance that their tax practices will come to light. It will never come to pass.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:40 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
How is an suv a threat to a smaller car?

And what is flawed about a hybrid suv? My company's highland lybrid gets great mpg, what is wrong with that? Oh yes, the point is that this suv argument is more a social class argument than an envirmontental and safety one.

Suv's are more associated with higher social classes there for they are opened to attack.

It has nothing to do with safety or the environment.
Lets face it !!! The whole fuel thing is class related!!! To some people an extra $100 a week is a drop in the bucket... to someone else it is $5200 a year on a $35000 income! so its a BIG extra EXPENCE!

So stay in school and work hard!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:45 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,168 times
Regarding the TAX rebate stuff that is discussed above...I think it is few and far between in the SUV owner world that have the time to figure out that they have some silly rebate....,however, the ever frugal alternative fuel obstical owners used up all the available tax credits earlier this year!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Unbelievable that you people have taken this stupid thread for a ride to the tune of 200 posts.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:31 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Unbelievable that you people have taken this stupid thread for a ride to the tune of 200 posts.

yip. i think i'm gonna fit "suv" on all my threads. it's a guaranteed hit. it is incredible the lengths that people will go to defend these silly machines.
what i find so perplexing is that everyday our "freedoms" are taken away without a peep yet say anything bad about an suv and the world comes to an end.
the encouraging thing though is that the current price of gas is changing peoples habits. i spoke to my (hardcore enironmentalist) brother last week(n california: why i don't know) and he said that the shift in habit has been unprecedented. the annoying thing though is that whilst many are slowing down and driving less etc, there are still morons who have enough bread to chuck down their tank and drive at breakneck speeds in these leviathans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive