Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:57 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times

Advertisements

'58 Dodge Custom Royal. And good lord is it ugly..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 11:17 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
That's why I like my Torino. Easy to find in a parking lot. And people walk up and say "I/my dad/my brother/my best friend used to have a car JUST LIKE THAT!"

I remember walking out of Walmart once and this older fella and his wife were just ....looking at it. Dude had a big smile on his face. So did his wife. He turned, looked at me and said "I met my wife driving this car." and we talked for a while.
We talked for like a 1/2 hour, actually.

Just a stranger and me...connected by a drivable piece of history. That's what I think every time....yeah... every time I get in that car. I love the smell of the interior. I love the way the steel doesn't give underneath my touch. I love the fact that I can sit on the trunk and it won't collapse. I love the way that kids look at it...and want to touch it and see it. And, to share a bit of myself, I like what my 11 year old son told me one day after I took him for a "power ride".

"Daddy? Where can I get a car like then when I'm old enough to drive?"

What do you say to that? My car is 38 years old. To most of today's youth, its an anachronism. I said, "Well, son....they're pretty rare. You might have to get a 90's car or something like that." and he's all like, "Dad! I don't want a 90's car! I want a car like THIS CAR!!!"
I can relate with this post 100%.

I myself have (in the past, as of 2001) owned a 71 Nova 2 door 350/4 speed and a 71 Chevelle 2 door big block 396.

Now I have a 69 Nova 2 dr. HT and an 87 Buick Regal turbo T.

All the time when I would drive the classics I'd get people coming up asking "what year is that" or proceeding to tell me a story of "man I had one of those back in 1975/1985".

I've also taken plenty of friends and family for rides in my cars, all of them have expressed wanting to own one like it/wishing they could.

I am expecting my first child in a few months so I can't speak on the "dad I want one" thing, other than when I was 12, my dad purchased the 69 Nova I have now from a neighbor. Bought it back when they could still be had for under $1k and it ran too. I then expressed I'd like to have it one day.....took 10 years but it finally happened.

But I have seen others in the past with kids that were happy to be riding around in an old piece of iron. I am hoping when my first born gets old enough I'll be able to get her (yes it's a girl) into cars and go karts, but we will have to see if she takes up after dad or not.

Anyways back on topic, not sure about the car in the pic but it does look a lot like the 1957 Belvedere they unearthed from the Tulsa OK lawn so I was thinking (at the minimum) it's a 1957 Chrysler product of some sorts.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:26 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
It is a 1957 Dodge and I'm pretty sure it is the Coronet model.
It doesn't have dual headlights. Notice the inboard lights are smaller than the outboard lights. The inboard light is the parking/turn signal lights. There isn't any parking/turn signal lights down in the grill area.
Look at the pic of the red and white Dodge. This is a 1958 and it does have dual headlights. It also has the parking/turn signal lights down in the grill area mounted in the large grill bars.
1958 was the first year for dual headlights industry wide.
There may have been one company in 57 that had them. Might have been Cadilac. I don't remember.
But it wasn't Dodge. I do know that.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:48 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I think it looks a LOT better than many of the egg- and blob-shaped modern cars. THOSE are ugly!

Old 07-18-2008, 11:53 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
It is a 1957 Dodge and I'm pretty sure it is the Coronet model.
It doesn't have dual headlights. Notice the inboard lights are smaller than the outboard lights. The inboard light is the parking/turn signal lights. There isn't any parking/turn signal lights down in the grill area.
Look at the pic of the red and white Dodge. This is a 1958 and it does have dual headlights. It also has the parking/turn signal lights down in the grill area mounted in the large grill bars.
1958 was the first year for dual headlights industry wide.
There may have been one company in 57 that had them. Might have been Cadilac. I don't remember.
But it wasn't Dodge. I do know that.
The 1957 Chrysler 300-C had dual headlights (and a 375 hp, 392-cu-in Hemi engine standard, 390 hp optional):

Old 07-19-2008, 01:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
I know what it is!

HIDEOUS!

Old 07-19-2008, 03:24 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Tell you what, if one of those drops in your lap and you hate it that much, sell it off and you can pay cash for a couple nice Kias or Hyundais. How's that? You'll maybe even have some left over for a small down payment on a house.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:10 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
My mom's car in 1957, not sure what year it is.........that's me with the gun.

My dad continued to by mopar for another 20+ years. Then he bought a bug.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:31 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Man that's a classic pic. Dig the old houses and cars. Back when life was simple. What I wouldn't give to have lived then.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:44 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
My mom's car in 1957, not sure what year it is.........that's me with the gun.
That's a '57. Question...how long did they own it? That year was noted for being hands down the worst year for quality control and rust issues. Most didn't make it to the early '60's, they were that bad. One joke was when it rained, you had to have the windows down or else you would drown from all the water that leaked in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive